The Chinese Rent White People to Make their Business Ventures Appear more Prestigious.

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
I just caught this episode of Vice that featured this story. Apparently western culture is held in a very high regard among the Chinese people. They will rent white people for various positions as pinning a white face on a brand is a sign of high social standing.

On this episode there is a white guy who is hired to pose as a doctor and give a speech regarding a new wing of a hospital opening up. They even fake his credentials and background and the crowd eats it up.

Another place hires white butlers butlers to help sell spaces in high dollar apartment complexes, people will also hire a white person to hang out with their group at a club as it is a sign of high status to be hanging out with a white person.

The thing is that these are just average looking dudes and are not even required to speak Chinese. There are whole agencies that are dedicated to this service. This one dude says he gets offered 2 or 3 jobs a day and makes his living off of doing so. I found this all to be a little strange, but still interesting none the less.

Here's the story if you are interested...

Last edited:
Yes, yes.

Although, the phenomenon was actually more prevalent fifteen to twenty years ago in the Mainland there are still pure face jobs out there.

There are also face jobs in Japan, Korea, Vietnam and anyplace under the influence of "face culture."

But this rule will always apply in a "face culture"

- Tall? Check mark. Handsome? Check mark. Charismatic? Check mark. Represents what you are selling in image? Four aces in that hand.

Since image is so important, it is not artificial either, the tactic works because the tactic plays to reputation and human nature, both of which we downplay or push back against but tend to Weinstien us in the ass if we forget they are real.

Said Internet Hero from Hong Kong International Airport at 6:52 in the morning.

well i guess it makes up for all the white men that 'rent' asian hookers

Yeah read about this.

People always give Westerners shit for being vain and materialistic, but in my opinion MiddleEastern and Asian people (South and East Asian) are far more materialistic and vain, and are more obsessed with 'desirable' phenotypes.

Yeah read about this.

People always give Westerners shit for being vain and materialistic, but in my opinion MiddleEastern and Asian people (South and East Asian) are far more materialistic and vain, and are more obsessed with 'desirable' phenotypes.

It is complicated in East Asia.

For all the vain and materialistic weirdos around, you also get some of the most grounded and philosophical people, if you know what to look for in people.

A lifetime always presents a lot of choices I suppose.

It is complicated in East Asia.

For all the vain and materialistic weirdos around, you also get some of the most grounded and philosophical people, if you know what to look for in people.

A lifetime always presents a lot of choices I suppose.
Asians (from the MidEast to the Far East) strike me as rather obsessed with social position and class. Our image driven society seems rather topical relative to Asia's more deep seated image consciousness.

Asians (from the MidEast to the Far East) strike me as rather obsessed with social position and class. Our image driven society seems rather topical relative to Asia's more deep seated image consciousness.

And racist/xenophobic don't forget that.

The only people who don't know and recognize this are white people.

It is hard to convey how image works. (Especially after staying up all night!)

However, imagine all the things that a paranoid/agoraphobic person might obsess about, that people do not care about in reality...

In say China, everyone cares, and you have been taught to walk a midfield of behavioral norms less you be judged... and say an American might think "lol judged, nobody judges me!" the judgement has consequences, sometimes dangerous consequences.

As a foreigner, well foreigners get a pass to some extent for the price of whatever stereotypes are attached to them... but if you are "one of us" and there are others of "us" around, then people will try enforce the rules, written or otherwise, and they will feel self righteous in doing so.

For a real world example, hmm...

Say you are a girl and you post your dating profile on a legitimate dating sight, but the expat community finds out...

Suddenly you are called a whore, trash, and everyone spams you, people ignore you on the street, only the brave are your friends... good thing you're moving on soon in most cases. (Being an expat scenario.)

But say you are Japanese and want to study abroad... dreams of being part of a foreign country and getting away from that stress... but you go to a university and there is a Japanese community...

You are used to making group decisions in a culture that is individual.

If you take the communities help, you owe them, you are part of them, and it will be like you are stuck in Japan to some extent in the host country.

If you step out and do not take the communities help... well, you better be really, really tough and independent.

Sounds like I should go to China. Sounds like a fun job.

White people should be proud and unapologetic. If someone wants to hold you in high regard simply because you are white, please stop apologizing for something you cannot control. There is nothing on this earth more pathetic than a self loathing white person.

Sounds like I should go to China. Sounds like a fun job.

Sure, just know exactly what you are doing, or you will be cheated.

Everyone will be cheated, forever.

Changed contracts, new terms, SURPRISE INSPECTIONS!

I always work for the government institutions when in the Mainland or else get $$$ in advance.

Sounds like a great career choice.

Sign me the fuck up.

Last I heard, they've started really cracking down on "white monkey" jobs. It does sound fun though tbh.

Last edited:
Asians are weird. Asian girls would flock to my buddy asking for pictures in Bali.

Asians are weird. Asian girls would flock to my buddy asking for pictures in Bali.

I think any countries where they don’t see a lot of a particular race will act weird.

When my buddy and I (both Asians) went to Colombia 10 years ago you would have thought we were an alien race that had landed on their city (i say city because maybe that part of Colombia had not seen many asians). Never had so many stares in awe or request for pics.

Most memorable was some grandma walked up to us and pointed at her teenage daughter and made the motion for taking a pic while we were waiting for the cable car (standby due to rain/thunderstorm). As soon as they were done, a flock of teenagers ran up to us asking for more pics and talking in broken English after seeing it was okay to approach us.

Another time we got off the subway/train and this mother walking with his little son was walking towards us and the son saw us and had this shocked looked on his face. They had rounded the corner and the mom had been looking for something in her purse and then noticed her son’s face and looked up to see what he was staring at and and her face went to shock and she uttered “chino!”.

We felt like superstars the whole trip. lol

Not a bad gig for unemployed white dudes

How much they paying?

Back