The Change In The Audience At Metal Shows

Cell phones are the worst thing to happen to the concert experience. Money and prison must be holding Axl back from throwing grenades.

I will agree with the statement metal was actually better back then but I don't think that's the reason. Metal bands that aren't huge never had that much of a female ratio in the crowd, not from what I remember.

Metal and "Gothy" shouldn't be in the same sentence..so much cringe just like i always cringe when i see a "self proclaimed goth and metalhead"....No just no and i'm not sure how you equate Dark with Gothic something can be Dark without having anything to do with being Gothic.I'd consider Dark Witchery's Lyrical Themes and Imagery to be dark and yet there's not an ounce of "Goth" anywhere it has nothing to do with it.
I meant the way they look. black hair and pancake make up looks goth.

Last edited:
Or I have a different opinion and tastes.

Who could have imagined someone thinks differently of metal than you?

You say that as if it is a fact if that's your opinion fine just don't throw it around like it's a fact

You say that as if it is a fact if that's your opinion fine just don't throw it around like it's a fact
I didn't say it was a fact, nor did I act like it was. I gave my personal opinion, and I only speak for myself.

Outside of the poppy, makeup wearing Glam bands of the 80's, girls have never really dug Metal.

Sure, Priest, Maiden, Metallica, etc have all had their share of groupies over the years, but Metal is predominantly a man's style of music, much like how Katy Perry is predominantly a woman's style.

Metal is a man's genre, plain and simple, don't think it has anything to do with extro or introvert. It just has to do with the aggressive, loud and coarse nature of the music. Women just don't appreciate it, on average, the same way alot of guys do.

That said, growing up, there were always girls at shows. They were the minority, but they were there, they're often just not your average kind of mainstream girl.

What year was the first metal concert you went to? Mine was Judas Priest in 1984. There were more guys there but still plenty of girls and nobody there was your average kind of mainstream person, male or female. Seems to me a lot of the girls were there because they liked the music and the types of guys who were into it - rocker types with long hair. What better place to find them back in 1984? Most girls would want to go to a concert if their ideal types of guys were going to be there. It's like I said before about drawing a big crowd: A lot of guys to a concert and then the girls go because those types of guys they like - musicians, rockers - will be there. Then the more hot girls that go, the more guys will want to go and the size of the audience just keeps getting bigger.

Outside of the poppy, makeup wearing Glam bands of the 80's, girls have never really dug Metal.

Sure, Priest, Maiden, Metallica, etc have all had their share of groupies over the years, but Metal is predominantly a man's style of music, much like how Katy Perry is predominantly a woman's style.

Metal is a man's genre, plain and simple, don't think it has anything to do with extro or introvert. It just has to do with the aggressive, loud and coarse nature of the music. Women just don't appreciate it, on average, the same way alot of guys do.

That said, growing up, there were always girls at shows. They were the minority, but they were there, they're often just not your average kind of mainstream girl.

Doesn't "loud and aggressive" better describe the type of music made by extroverts than introverts? I'imagine an introvert playing music more like REM's style.

Not sure why this is a surprise. Metal is heavy and extreme with fat D&D neckbeard nerds screaming and throwing devil horns in the air. It falls into the same category as beer and MMA. Women are soft and more mediocre/herdy/go witht the flow and just like music for the aesthetics mostly and what their friends like and are more into categories of flowers, babies, painting, salads and yoga. Women usually like pop music or any music that isn't too far off what is normal, if they're into metal then it's like metal with visual stuff going or the lead singer is a pretty boy. If you see a girl at a metal concert it's probably because she has daddy issues or is lesbian. What's next? A thread about why there aren't more women at MMA events?

This is straight up Parasitic Ostrich Syndrome lol. Why aren't there more female construction workers? Why aren't more men into flower decorating? Why aren't there more female MMA fighters?

"Fat D&D neckbeard nerds" does not at all describe the heavy metal audience of my youth. Is that really what it's like these days? Almost all the male audience of the concerts I went to were fairly thin, had no beards, and had long hair. Many brought their girlfriends with them. Their main interests besides music were fast cars, partying, and of course, women. This convinces me even more that the metal audience of today has changed drastically from the 70's and 80's and apparently has changed from an audience of extroverted guys and a good number of girls into an audience of introverted, fat guys with beards whom women have no desire to be around.

I started going to metal shows at around 2006 or something. And hair metal really is the genre in metal that stands out the most among the rest, I think. It's probably the only genre I don't like and also the culture around it seems very different. I know there are links between hair metal and other types of metal and there are some connections, but I am unable to hear how it is similar to other metal bands.

There was a time when I would have said that if you like heavy metal you're probably an extrovert. If you play in a heavy metal band and you're not an extrovert, I don't know how you got there. Does it seem the audience has changed to mostly introverts since the classic metal of the 70's and 80s? There used to be plenty of women at the shows, plenty of guys with their girlfriends, but now it seems to be an almost all male crowd of introverts who apparently have no girlfriends.

There aren't many genres of music that women usually seem to hate. Almost every type of music draws a crowd that is a fairly even mix of guys and girls. That's how a band draws a good sized crowd - there are going to be a decent number of guys there so girls want to go. Then the more girls that go to the show, the more guys want to go, etc. This works in practically everything but not in metal these days. So what is keeping the girls away, is it the change in the music or a change in the type of guys who listen to the music - guys that girls don't want to be around?

I thought during the 80s it is glam metal or hair metal that had all the extroverts. Wasnt Thrash for the losers and outcasts?

That is what I am thinking unless you include like Def Leppard or Poison or even Bon Jovi as metal.

Not sure why this is a surprise. Metal is heavy and extreme with fat D&D neckbeard nerds screaming and throwing devil horns in the air. It falls into the same category as beer and MMA. Women are soft and more mediocre/herdy/go witht the flow and just like music for the aesthetics mostly and what their friends like and are more into categories of flowers, babies, painting, salads and yoga. Women usually like pop music or any music that isn't too far off what is normal, if they're into metal then it's like metal with visual stuff going or the lead singer is a pretty boy. If you see a girl at a metal concert it's probably because she has daddy issues or is lesbian. What's next? A thread about why there aren't more women at MMA events?

This is straight up Parasitic Ostrich Syndrome lol. Why aren't there more female construction workers? Why aren't more men into flower decorating? Why aren't there more female MMA fighters?

exactly, I am not sure why TS is surprised.

Oh, hey look, a bunch of ignorant twats who don't know shit about Metal, it's fan base or anything to do with the subject.

Why am I not surprised by the ignorance or the stupidity?

Y'all can go shove a broom where the sun doesn't shine.

Like posting on in internet forum
I barely post on this shit heap of a forum anymore.

Yes, I have better things to do with my time, like right now, going to sleep because I have two jobs and a life.

Obviously you don't though, having almost 20K posts in 6 years.

Good day.

Last edited:
Depends on the genre/scene

When I went to Neurosis a few months back, there was only a handful of chicks, alot of quiet nerdish looking guys

Dillinger Escape Plan, theres usually a good mix of guys n girls, extro and intro

Baroness had a decent little mix too

Napalm Death/Mayhem gigs...more guys

all depends...who cares tho...off to lock myself in a room and listen to Godflesh....then off to the gym to throw weights around to Nails

Oh, hey look, a bunch of ignorant twats who don't know shit about Metal, it's fan base or anything to do with the subject.

Why am I not surprised by the ignorance or the stupidity?

Y'all can go shove a broom where the sun doesn't shine.
You seem to be a "little" too sensitive. People have different tastes...learn to deal with it!

Might be different in each country. Most metal/rock gigs i go to over here usually have a good helping of women in the crowds.

When I grew up it used to be the silent guys and only few ladies already.

Which means I can hardly contribute to this thread.

Or maybe I can: as dark music (or elements thereof) is becoming more and more part of the mainstream, so will metal festivals. I guess. I'm talking about Metallica shirts at H&M here.

Not complaining about the trend.
Hmm...interesting. I'll admit, I haven't been to a metal show in awhile, but I'll take your word for it.

Metal has really split into many many sub groups, since the 70's and 80's. Maybe that's a variable? I have no idea, I'm fairly drunk.
Love how you found a very metal way of ending your post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back