The centerline and southpaws

curtis10

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
The concept of pointing the lead toe at the opponents centerline has been very useful in helping me understand proper position against orthodox opponents like myself.
However I do not fully understand the mechanics of how exactly this plays against southpaws.
OUTSIDE ANGLE:
I find it quite difficult to secure an outside angle on southpaws where my lead foot is outside their lead foot AND my lead foot points at their center line. I will often step in throw and overextended right hand, and then they are out of range. I also feel like I am going to eat I right Hook when I step in

INSIDE ANGLE: I am not sure how to attempt at securing a dominant inside angle. What does the foot position for a dominant inside angle look like? Where should I be aiming to place my feet and orient them with respect to my opponent?

All in all, against southpaws, I struggle to set up shots, I am not sure how to secure safe and dominant angles, and I tend to be very low output
Thank you very much. Looking forward to y’alls insight

I find with sp's you need to cover more distance than with an orthodox fighter. The angles and being off the line is the same for you guys, as in his cross will damage you as much as yours would

In short your step in has to be deeper and to watch for the right hook if you're normally not used to receiving those

Foot on the outside is okay, but really EVERY sp knows this from day 1, you won't catch them off guard with it

One of the other members here made an excellent video on southpaw vs. orthodox matchups.

I find with sp's you need to cover more distance than with an orthodox fighter. The angles and being off the line is the same for you guys, as in his cross will damage you as much as yours would

In short your step in has to be deeper and to watch for the right hook if you're normally not used to receiving those

Foot on the outside is okay, but really EVERY sp knows this from day 1, you won't catch them off guard with it
I see, yeah that does seem to be true I hadn’t thought about that, good point . How can you step deep to the inside angle without crossing your feet though?

I am also curious on yalls thoughts on people crossing their legs in opposite stance match ups. I really don’t like stepping across myself and thought that this was a cardinal sin but I have seen a lot of southpaws use it. Also it seems hard to get a dominant inside angle without doing this.

Welcome to the Community, Curtis.

One thing that has worked for me against a friend of mine who is a better boxer and is a SP is to ... throw that god damn cross. It lands. When in doubt just really throw it and when in huge doubt throw a body cross.

Regarding center lines and etc. I have given up on taking that outside angle when I am about to defend. Regarding attacking, I am trying pin down his lead hand and jab while stepping to the left, or jab-left hook, or double and tripple jabs while going to the left and forward. This works well to take the angle and position for a good right hand.

Throw that cross. It lands against SPs.

You're over-thinking this, you aim your lead foot at their virtual center if you cannot see them head-on.

You're over-thinking this, you aim your lead foot at their virtual center if you cannot see them head-on.

I suppose where my confusion on this is most evident, is when I am trying to take an inside angle. For example, if I step inside their lead foot, and I pivot counter clockwise in order to point my foot at their center, it seems like I will just pivot into the left hand.
How do you take an inside angle and keep it while remaining relatively safe position wise?
I may well be overthinking it though, thank you

Last edited:
One thing that has worked for me against a friend of mine who is a better boxer and is a SP is to ... throw that god damn cross. It lands. When in doubt just really throw it and when in huge doubt throw a body cross.

Regarding center lines and etc. I have given up on taking that outside angle when I am about to defend. Regarding attacking, I am trying pin down his lead hand and jab while stepping to the left, or jab-left hook, or double and tripple jabs while going to the left and forward. This works well to take the angle and position for a good right hand.

Throw that cross. It lands against SPs.
I like your suggestion on use of your lead hand thank you

I suppose where my confusion on this is most evident, is when I am trying to take an inside angle. For example, if I step inside their lead foot, and I pivot counter clockwise in order to point my foot at their center, it seems like I will just pivot into the left hand.
How do you take an inside angle and keep it while remaining relatively safe position wise?

It sounds like you're assuming you have to step with your lead foot first? You can step with your back foot first and then use that as your axis to pivot from.

Simple answer: If you have an outside angle your lead foot will not be pointing at their center line, and that’s ok. I believe the same applies for inside angles. Once you’re fighting off angle I wouldn’t worry about the lead foot center line thing.

Hi Sinister. Say if i am an orthodox versus-ing a southpaw. By your post would it be correct to say that my lead foot will still be online with my opponent's lead foot except that i would then angle my lead foot ever slightly inward aiming then at the southpaw's center? Thanks.

Hi Sinister. Say if i am an orthodox versus-ing a southpaw. By your post would it be correct to say that my lead foot will still be online with my opponent's lead foot except that i would then angle my lead foot ever slightly inward aiming then at the southpaw's center? Thanks.

Yes.

Okay to do this vs. same stance opponent?

Sure, just have to be careful of lead foot placement relative to theirs.

Back