The case against Conor McGregor's "greatness"

Talk to any legendary athlete and they all have one thing in common...they unanimously say that it was monumentally more challenging to stay at the top than it was to get there. The reason being that the motivation and drive towards that ultimate goal plays a profound part in a competitors success. It's why athletes who remain at the top of their sport for great lengths of time are held in such high regard.

Imagine Usain Bolt reaching the top and then picking and choosing his opponents. Or Roger Federer, or the 1990s Chicago Bulls or the 1980s Edmonton Oilers, etc.

Good athletes can reach the top. Great athletes defend their position at the top and remain there for a long time.

Conor McGregor is good...he's yet to prove he's anywhere near being considered great.
That argument can go both ways:

A.) He wasn't great because he didn't defend and prove he could stay at the top

B.) He was so great that he dominated one division and then just stepped in and knocked out the champ of the next higher division. Went 10 rounds with the "GOAT" of boxing and sailed off into the sunset with his boatload of gold.

I guess it depends on whether or not you like the guy.

Also, you need to edit the "Usain" comment. He just ran against the clock and whoever happened to be running next to him was his "opponent".

This is exactly what I can't stand from all the Conor nuthuggers on here. Of course it was a win/win situation for Conor fighting Floyd. If he wins, he can claim he beat the greatest boxer of all time. If he loses (which he did), he can just use the excuse that he lost to the GOAT and he isn't a professional boxer himself. And what really makes me laugh is that before the fight, ALLLLL the Conor fans had the nerve to say he would actually KO Floyd. But yet, after he lost, here came the excuses that he simply lost to the greatest boxer of all time, and it was some huge act of bravery for Conor to even step into the boxing ring against him. Funny how that happens.
First off, I'm not a Connor Fan, I think his acts like a jackass and i think he needs to defend his title... and nothing you just said negates the fact that he got into a ring with a guy he had no chance of beating... and he has taken a lot of fights that he wasn't expected to win, and the point being made is that he isn't afraid to lose...

TS makes a jump from "it's difficult to defend" to "not great".

Nobody gives a fuck that Tyson lost a lot when he got old and fucked up. They remember how he got those belts. Tough shit, haters.

Nobody gives a fuck that Tyson lost a lot when he got old and fucked up. They remember how he got those belts. Tough shit, haters.

Tyson was an overrated can crusher with a record padded with nobodies and senior citizens. The fact that you would even bring him into this discussion shows that you know fuck all about fighting.

Top 5 Boxers of All Time:
Ray Robinson: 173 - 19 - 6
Willie Pep: 229 - 11 - 1
Muhammed Ali: 56 - 5
Henry Armstrong: 149 - 21 -10
Roberto Duran: 104 - 16

There aint no shame losing in the fight game.

Tyson was an overrated can crusher with a record padded with nobodies and senior citizens. The fact that you would even bring him into this discussion shows that you know fuck all about fighting.
You know what? Nobody gives a fuck. That was exactly my point. Thanks for making it for me.

Shit, Roberto Duran basically tapped to strikes too. Nobody cares. He was a bad motherfucker.

Top 5 Boxers of All Time:
Ray Robinson: 173 - 19 - 6
Willie Pep: 229 - 11 - 1
Muhammed Ali: 56 - 5
Henry Armstrong: 149 - 21 -10
Roberto Duran: 104 - 16

There aint no shame losing in the fight game.

Tell that to scardy pants McGregor.

This is exactly what I can't stand from all the Conor nuthuggers on here. Of course it was a win/win situation for Conor fighting Floyd. If he wins, he can claim he beat the greatest boxer of all time. If he loses (which he did), he can just use the excuse that he lost to the GOAT and he isn't a professional boxer himself. And what really makes me laugh is that before the fight, ALLLLL the Conor fans had the nerve to say he would actually KO Floyd. But yet, after he lost, here came the excuses that he simply lost to the greatest boxer of all time, and it was some huge act of bravery for Conor to even step into the boxing ring against him. Funny how that happens.
Yep I knew the response was going to be "he stepped up to fight the best guy in his own sport". Just like when he stepped up to fight the bigger man as if it is such a big deal to not have a size advantage.

435f60f0c76e23e68edf293d7814ed73--always-remember-remember-this.jpg

Holloway 3 years ago...mendez on a 3 days notice. Love how everything is so generic...

I like how you omitted decade-long winning streak Aldo and LW champion Alvarez in your attempt to discredit McGregor.

At the time taking out Aldo was just a couple ticks less impressive than Werdum defeating Fedor for the 1st time in a decade.

In MMA, he's a 'great' just by virtue of being a two weight world champion at the highest level. There aren't many of those around.

First off, I'm not a Connor Fan, I think his acts like a jackass and i think he needs to defend his title... and nothing you just said negates the fact that he got into a ring with a guy he had no chance of beating... and he has taken a lot of fights that he wasn't expected to win, and the point being made is that he isn't afraid to lose...
I didn't necessarily mean to say you yourself were a Conor nuthugger, but just in general, the nuthuggers annoy me. Sorry if it came off that way.

Also, i disagree with anyone that says Conor had something to lose fighting Floyd. What exactly did he have to lose? A BLANK professional boxing record? If he lost to Floyd, it would literally have zero impact on his MMA career/ record. However, in return, he makes $50+ million just to step in the ring with him. Guess what, I would do that too, and so would just about everybody else on planet earth. So no, Conor fighting Floyd deserves zero respect, because it was literally ALLLL about the money. Anyone else who says otherwise is delusional.

Again, not trying to be harsh on you, just saying

Greatness usually means that you dominated a division for a good while. Multiple title defenses.

Nobody will remember how well Bolt ran at some lesser championships throughout the year, they will remember his world records. McGregor will be remembered as one of the few fighters ever in the sport to break the mould, that knocked out two champions in two weight classes with ease. I think he will be quite happy with his legacy. The test of greatness in a fight sport is not always black and white. He had the most fans, the biggest ppvs, the biggest media presence, the biggest influence with the UFC management, two belts and a handful of dominant wins against high skilled and high profile fighters and will retire stinking rich and with physical and mental good health. Can't really argue that that is not great.
197F0C86-DABD-45F3-98D0-6DA0D39CA456.jpeg
And in between those titles never forget!

Conor is not great and probably never wanted to be great as a fighter. But he is ritch wich is exactly what he wanted. As an MMA fan I don't respect the man. But then again getting punched in the face for living is not fun at all so I can not blame the guy for trying to earn the most money with the less damage possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back