The Bruce Lee myth! Do you buy it?

So a guy with no fighting footage, only small light sparring videos (rare) is supposed to be this bad ass...I just asked him about some footage and he shut up very quick.

How much footage do you need? There is so much footage of Lee available on the internet today, but you are the one guy that can't find it. Not just footage, listen to interviews from people who knew and fought Lee in life. Lee was an exceptional fighter. Amazing reflexes.

Last edited:
We're suppose to believe a manlet by the name of Napoleon ruled half of Europe..any video proof of that? - Sherdog logic.

If he was a fraud, he would've been exposed especially when he was in America. America was extremely racist and would've exposed him ASAP. Many martial artists out there. Many stories of people challenging him and not a single one came out said they won. IF they did, they wuold've bragged about it.

Look at you people now doubting him. I'm sure there were doubters back then too and challenged him.

You can definitely call him a pioneer because he did a lot for martial arts, making it much more popular while training and teaching multiple styles.

When I was around 10 me all my friends genuinely believed that he would be able to beat any pro fighter in combat. Hell, we thought he would be able to fold prime Tyson with one kick. After training and getting into combat sports, I can comfortably say he's more myth than anything else. Was he a gifted/talented martial artist? No doubt about it. However he would lose to most of the top 15-20 fighters these days because the sport just keeps evolving and him having no professional fights tells you pretty much everything you need to know. That said I'm still a huge Bruce Lee fan, his speed was insane and he appreciated all martial arts, not just judo or karate. One of my favorite actors for sure.

I believe it because of his philosophy on fighting.

You can tell he carefully studied and analyzed martial arts.

Even 19th century dandy boxer BJ? Bruce would have knocked his top hat and monocle off and pulled his handlebar moustache.

HotAgreeableAmurratsnake.gif

Fuck Frankie is tiny.

0e64e8e3d38debbb4bec042a936684da3c34b51de37929291b4290b38395bd6b.jpg

This thread is usually posted at least once a year. The answer, of course, is that Prime Lee was a very skilled martial artist in excellent condition. He was one of the pioneers of cross training. Back in those days, most Traditional Martial Artists stuck to one or two systems, often within a disctinct racial group. So if you practiced Karate, you might also train in Judo. But it would be highly unlikely you would train in Kung Fu, Thai Boxing, Savate etc.

Lee's talent was in NGAF about tradition and taking whatever worked best for him from various systems. Hence the famous quote,

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is uniquely your own".

Lee also pressure tested himself and his students through full contact sparring, which again was very innovative in a time when a lot of TMA still claimed their arts were, "too deadly" to spar with. And Lee made strength and conditioning a regular part of his training, which in those days was a rarity outside of Boxing and other Full Contact Combat Sports.

If you brought Lee in his prime to the present day and put him in a UFC fight...he'd get curb stomped. Lee was not a competative fighter, apart from his time as an amauter boxer in Hong Kong. His knowledge of Grappling was rudimentary at best. JKD was not a complete system. It was still being developed at the time of Lee's death and the people who trained with him around that time said he was just starting to research Grappling and how to incorporate it.

Prime Lee with a year to train in MMA? He'd probably be a decent competitor in the relevant weight catagory. One of Lee's greatest assets was a ridiculous work ethic. He loved to train and push himself, both physically and mentally, to acquire new skills.

Lee was neither a world class fighter nor a Bullshido artist who couldn't fight. The truth is somewhere between the two: an above average martial artist who was years ahead of his time in his approach to training, but not a world class fighter.

Last edited:
He was a great martial arts philosopher, that I know, was he he a great fighter, that we will never know

How much footage do you need? There is so much footage of Lee available on the internet today, but you are the one guy that can't find it. Not just footage, listen to interviews from people who knew and fought Lee in life. Lee was an exceptional fighter. Amazing reflexes.
You are talking to MMA fans. A bunch of footage of Chuck Norris verbally sucking bruce's cock means NOTHING. Unfortunately there is basically zero real fighting footage of the guy

I'm guessing Bruce Lee's rating in UFC videogame has to be way higher than CM Punk's.

I've seen a couole black belt karate masters get beat up by some random drunk dude. I'd say he would be another one

judo gene> bruce lee

judo gene actually fought milo savage in a primitive mma match.

judo gene> bruce lee

judo gene actually fought milo savage in a primitive mma match.
judo gene said bruce was the best martial artist of his generation. W/e he means by that I don't know.

You are talking to MMA fans. A bunch of footage of Chuck Norris verbally sucking bruce's cock means NOTHING. Unfortunately there is basically zero real fighting footage of the guy
chucks a bjj black belt under the machado brothers. I think he knows whats real.

Lee was great for many reasons not just martial arts.

Back