The biggest underachiever in the History of MMA is?

Half that list is trash. How is TJ Grant an underachiever for beating up Gray Maynard at the most opportune time before people realized he was done? The narrative that Uriah Hall is an underachiever has to die. It should have died years ago. The fluke against Mousasi put it on life support but Hall has consistently demonstrated his mediocrity.

The correct answer Melvin Guillard. Lazy cokehead with sledgehammers for fists.

Guillare could have been a champion, which is more than you can say for most these guys. And he didn't even have a high peak, I think he topped out at a 3 fight win streak in the UFC.

The guy had dynamite in his hands, but could never figure out grappling or even how he wanted to strike. Be super aggressive and KO people? Or sit back and try to counter? He never got the balance right.

He easily had the physical talent of McGregor but it never happened.

huerta or vera

not cro cop
I originally thought it said underachieving UFC career. My bad.

Cro Cop fit my original question. I then changed my answer after I caught my mistake.

Bob Sapp

Beat the GOAT kickboxer at that time twice

Almost beat Nog

All with no training

wild card suggestion: nate diaz.

imo he could have been a dominant champ if he learned from his brother's mistakes instead of repeating them.

Also Paulo Filho. Undefeated MW dominating everyone like 18-0. Looked like a next GOAT candidate.

Well if we're going to take BJ and Carwin as underachieving the most obvious answer is Cain, he had the potential to be the all time goat and fell well short. Hendricks to after a war with gsp looked like a guy who could be a dominant champion. The Machida Era didn't last long either.

If you've watched the sport for a long time, for every GOAT there is -- there's a guy r a few guys that had the skillset and the athleticism to be a GOAT but couldn't make because of other shortcomings. Cain for injury reasons, BJ Penn for jumping around weight classes and slacking off reasons, and other guys for drug addiction reasons, it all varies. But having the skillset and the physicality is only as important as the mental game and the training game, it's all a package. Having all of it together is rare.. and makes you a GOAT.

Also Paulo Filho. Undefeated MW dominating everyone like 18-0. Looked like a next GOAT candidate.
Problem is... he was injured during the Pride WW Tournament, had he won it (legit favourite), could have had more recognition...

Chael Sonnen is the obvious answer. He can just never pull the trigger when he needs to.

Problem is... he was injured during the Pride WW Tournament, had he won it (legit favourite), could have had more recognition...
It should have been him having that rivalry with Anderson Silva, not Chael. But we know how that went.

wild card suggestion: nate diaz.

imo he could have been a dominant champ if he learned from his brother's mistakes instead of repeating them.
'Dominant' @ LW is near impossible... The WW div., currently in a transitional era...but a tough div. for Nate...

'Dominant' @ LW is near impossible... The WW div., currently in a transitional era...but a tough div. for Nate...

yeah, i guess, relatively dominant, for lightweight. two or three title defenses. consistently in the top five.

although, if khabib can beat ferguson i don't know who could possibly take the title from him. but i guess lw champs do have a way of looking super dominant until they lose and then totally falling apart.

It should have been him having that rivalry with Anderson Silva, not Chael. But we know how that went.
Depends... Would he have been a WW in the UFC, or a MW? Undersized, even @ WW...

Ivan sallavery

Struve.

He had what 20 fights by the time he was 25? That’s a lot of real cage experience that you can’t teach

Lee Murray at least has to be added to the list. Not sure who I'd pick though, gotta think about it.
scarier outside the cage than within it. He would have lost to the rising middleweights of his day- Lombard, Dennis Kang, Sobral. Let alone champions like Hendo and Mousasi.

Back