The biggest underachiever in the History of MMA is?

Roy Nelson
Good mention. Roy is well-rounded overall, but never took being an athlete as seriously as he should have and relied too much on the KO. He potentially could have been a LHW with enough discipline. With the power he has and additional agility to utilize his ground skills, it might have been really interesting. He did well at HW, but could have potentially done better. Even as a lighter HW, imo.

BJ Penn
- top ground game
- top striking
- great chin
- amazing reflexes
- ability to learn very fast

But he did it on hotdogs and beer

Pennfat.jpg

Uriah Hall?
Melvin Guillard?
Brendan Thatch?
Brandon Vera?
Roger Huerta?
Todd Duffee?
Michael McDonald?
Phillip Nover?
Cro Crop? (Strictly his UFC run. Don’t go crazy PRIDE fans)
Shane Carwin? ( Did well. But didn’t stick around too long)
Abu Schaubi ( remember the Souless one had a lot of hype before the Nog KO)
Jake Ellenberger?
TJ Grant?

Edit: My pick is McDonald. I thought he would be a long term Bantamweight champion even after the Barao loss. He looked good enough in that fight at such a young age that I thought in a few yrs he would be dominating everyone.

Somone else?

Half that list is trash. How is TJ Grant an underachiever for beating up Gray Maynard at the most opportune time before people realized he was done? The narrative that Uriah Hall is an underachiever has to die. It should have died years ago. The fluke against Mousasi put it on life support but Hall has consistently demonstrated his mediocrity.

The correct answer Melvin Guillard. Lazy cokehead with sledgehammers for fists.

You can't, but BJ was lazy and they didn't let him be lazy. That was the only time in his career that BJ LOOKED like a fighter physically.

I know a guy who never looked like a fighter physically and a majority of people here consider him the GOAT. :)

Hint: His name rhymes with "grey door".

I would say nick diaz in a sense. he should have developed his wrestling or at least his tdd years ago. he's definitely shown improvement, but imagine the wins he'd have if he didnt lose a bunch of close decisions. also, he's someone who doesn't seem to gameplan, so that too.

Erick Silva, but there's still hope he's young.
he's not young. he's 34. he just looks young. i was surprised when i realized how old he is a couple years back because he does look young.

Jake Ellenberger

It's crazy to think that the run of a KO machine was derailed by a man with a suspect chin in Martin Kampmann, as deadly as Martin was both on the feet and on the ground.

Kampmann is my.pick.

Skills for days but a terrible habit of fighting opponents where they are strongest.

If it was only IV's I feel like he'd move up because he was huge. He would've been just as explosive as Lombard. It's just speculation though, I think it has more to do with Edmond than anything else. The guy ruined Browne too.

Back