The Big Four + Bodyweight program?

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Since I started lifting 7 years ago, I usually isolate 1 or 2 muscle groups for each program.

Now, just wanna try doing something different, would it be advisable if I use a whole body workout for 1 day, 3x a week? I would like to start with the big four (deadlift, squat, bench press, clean and press) with few reps but heavy weights, then finish with bodyweight exercises?

I was thinking of something like this:

- Deadlift
- Squat
- Bench Press
- Clean and Press
- Pistol Squat
- Push-ups
- Pull-ups
- Dips
- Plank

What do you think?

If you've never done a full body workout multiple times a week, I'd keep it simple and just do one of the standard linear progressions with your big 4. If you want something with clean & press, starting strength has that built in.

I don't think the body weight stuff at the end is going to hurt you, I just don't think it's going to do much, assuming that you're doing the big lifts right.

Would you want to do all that in one session?

If you want to do a proper bodyweight program look up a good balanced one like r/bodyweightfitness program and do squat/deads twice a week.

No point in hitting muscle groups twice. Like why bother with pistols if you will backsquat.

Just look up Ice Cream Fitness by Jason Blaha and do that

Thanks for all your inputs. How about if I do the Big Four every Monday and Friday, and do them bodyweight exercises on Wednesdays?

(i'm also doing the full body workout thing because I just became a father, and I know I'll be having less gym time for the next couple of months)

This is just me, but if I wanted to incorporate all of the above mentioned and split them 3 days per week I would do

Monday - Squat/Bench + chosen BW exercises
Wednesday - Deadlift/C&P + chosen BW exercises
Friday - Squat/Bench + chosen BW exercises

I would also do many of those BW exercises weighted (dips, pullups, pistol, etc) and variations of them depending on overall programming and goals. Of course this is just my preference as I favor powerlifting.

This is just me, but if I wanted to incorporate all of the above mentioned and split them 3 days per week I would do

I would also do many of those BW exercises weighted (dips, pullups, pistol, etc) and variations of them depending on overall programming and goals. Of course this is just my preference as I favor powerlifting.

This is a good suggestion.

Yes it does seem better. Cheers!

You could also alternate weight days with body weight days. Like barbell work Monday, calisthenics Tuesday, rest Wednesday, repeat

Look up Max Shenk on the net. He's a phenomenally powerful dude who does weights for lower body work and calisthenics for upper body work.

I would do the simplefit.org routine with weighted dips/pull-ups and barbell squats or dumbell thrusters, adding weight after every few levels and then dropping down levels again.

Or I would do the recommended routine at r/bodyweight fitness and throw in squats and deadlifts.

Back