The big four and boxing

M0ller

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
hey guys

I just started working out again, after i had alot of surgeries in the last years, so im back into boxing, 4 times a week an hour everytime, not competing. And 2 days, with 3x5-8 squat bench deadlift
And 1 day squat bench ohp pullups.

What do you guys think about this? My goal is to be the strongest i can be, and fit for fight. I weight about 83 kg now and hope to be the same in a year or 2 ripped :)

Have a nice day

Congrats on working out and welcome to S&C.

I think you should read the content available on this subforum (and content elsewhere on the internet recommended in and linked to from this subforum). Then if you have a specific question or questions, ask in the appropriate existing thread. And if there isn't already an appropriate thread, then make a thread of your own.

Last edited:
Those exercises can give you an excellent base for GPP. Start a log on here and track your progress.

There's a two day split here iirc it goes like
Day A
Dead 3X3
Ohp 3X5
(Weighted) pull ups 3x8-10
Day B
Squat 3X5
Bench 3X5
Row 3X5

Will try that one thanks, gonna switch A to B so i can do it 3 times a week sometimes.

Depends on your goals. If you are a professional and are on a non camp period you may need 4 times a week.
I recently added my mma coach whos mainly a striker in facebook and he said he is hitting the gym for strenght trainin 4 times a week. You can see his muscles artrophied right now. However he is having a fight in the end of March so he is done with it.

A friend of mine trains with another professional in kick boxing and MMA and he does not do any strenght training. They are visiting a gym for conditioning training full with kettlebells, big tires and are running circuits with them. That friend of mine is also an amateur WADO fighter who has few boxing fights. He also does not do any strenght training but only circuits. So the topic is debatable.

When I spar with my friend I do not feel overwhelmed from power but with explosiveness and volume of different attacks. He is 95 kg man quick technical and very stretched. However when I clinch I feel like I am in control.

At the gym I used to train I had an amateur fighter who does a lot of strenght training with whom I often sparred. He is about 85 kg. He hits like a truck and has knocked me down twice. I am always ultra defensive against him as his jabs and left hooks are super strong and his rear kick just a killer ( he knocked me down twice with it).

So it is really down to training methods and prefferences according to me but I do go with the heavy strenght training as I find myself complaining more about how some one is stronger than me, than fitter than me. But that is me with an experience of 0 fights.

I do not compete, only train to defend myself and look good, hope to end up similar to yoel romero. Im on TRT also, so i take test e and winstrol.

Depends on your goals. If you are a professional and are on a non camp period you may need 4 times a week.
I recently added my mma coach whos mainly a striker in facebook and he said he is hitting the gym for strenght trainin 4 times a week. You can see his muscles artrophied right now. However he is having a fight in the end of March so he is done with it.

A friend of mine trains with another professional in kick boxing and MMA and he does not do any strenght training. They are visiting a gym for conditioning training full with kettlebells, big tires and are running circuits with them. That friend of mine is also an amateur WADO fighter who has few boxing fights. He also does not do any strenght training but only circuits. So the topic is debatable.

When I spar with my friend I do not feel overwhelmed from power but with explosiveness and volume of different attacks. He is 95 kg man quick technical and very stretched. However when I clinch I feel like I am in control.

At the gym I used to train I had an amateur fighter who does a lot of strenght training with whom I often sparred. He is about 85 kg. He hits like a truck and has knocked me down twice. I am always ultra defensive against him as his jabs and left hooks are super strong and his rear kick just a killer ( he knocked me down twice with it).

So it is really down to training methods and prefferences according to me but I do go with the heavy strenght training as I find myself complaining more about how some one is stronger than me, than fitter than me. But that is me with an experience of 0 fights.
Clinching is a form of grappling, and strength work has a more direct transfer to grappling compared to striking. So its reasonable why you feel more dominant and in control in the clinch. I'm the same way actually.

Clinching is a form of grappling, and strength work has a more direct transfer to grappling compared to striking. So its reasonable why you feel more dominant and in control in the clinch. I'm the same way actually.

I understand this. My point was that when I spar the fit guy who does mainly circuits I jave a responce for him. Bit when I spar the strong guy I am without many options as I really dont want to clinch him and be close to him.

But yes I was clinching by intuition with the conditioned guy.

My question towards you is would you clinch against someone stronger? How and why?

I understand this. My point was that when I spar the fit guy who does mainly circuits I jave a responce for him. Bit when I spar the strong guy I am without many options as I really dont want to clinch him and be close to him.

But yes I was clinching by intuition with the conditioned guy.

My question towards you is would you clinch against someone stronger? How and why?
Clinching is actually one of my strongest points, its actually more difficult if they're alot taller. They have a longer reach and I have to grab higher to start out.

If you're good at clinching, like grappling, you will be able to "feel" when your opponent's weight shifts and gets lighter. Its during those points you use it to take advantage. eg. he's very forward heavy, and as he knees, you turn him to dump him, or during the turn (when off balanced), you slide in a straight knee and/or you use it to make pummeling easier if you're not in a dominant position. If he's too forward heavy, think without you there, he'd almost face plant, it makes controlling him easier.

When he's stronger than you and has a good grasp of clinching as well, you'll have to use your wit to get to him. My main partner did that with me all the time. He's a flyweight (I'm 170-190 normally), and he was able to find out what would frustrate and piss me off, so he'd do things on purpose to frustrate me. When I got pissed and came in with something big, he would wreck me. lol.

Last edited:
Gonna do like this
Monday: Heavy bag work 5 rounds
Tuesday: Squat and bench 3 x 5-10
Wednesday: Heave bag work 5 rounds
Thursday: Deadlift and military press 3 x 5-10
Friday: Heavy bag work 5 rounds
Saturday: Squat and bench, pullups.
Sunday: Rest

Back