The best athlete in the UFC working out with NFL player

A Level Movement

giphy.gif

A level kicks

1528994998674846.gif

15289951253008326.gif

See how easy it is ?

Also, Tyrone, who I don't like at all, would smash this fool in under a minute.

what are you showing here? He looks quicker on his feet than every heavyweight on the UFC roster

ZjpeJWN.gif

It's the guy like 10 years younger than Woodley?

Let's have a 37 year old NFL player do BBJ drills with Ortega!
Herschel Walker is still a phenomenal athlete in his 50s.

Herschel Walker is still a phenomenal athlete in his 50s.
Hershel is one guy, Randy and Hendo were still good in their late 40's as well while many NFL players are also retired by the age Woodley is.

Not only does 200lb walk around weight woodley look like a child next to this guy, he looks slow and uncoordinated doing the agility drills and johnson fake trips and still jogs past him in the sprint. Really gives you a good comparison of UFC elite vs NFL elite.

Also cardio machine woodley is sucking wind after one short sprint while johnson doesn't look tired. So gives you some take on NFL endurance levels, which are completely unknown since they are never measured. People say NFL players do nothing but run for a few seconds then take a break, not realizing that 100% all out sprint repeated is extremely endurance reliant.

Here is johnson doing agility drills for comparison

Tyron Woodley is very explosive but far from the best athlete. Romero is a better athlete (especially when he was 36-37) and I'd put DJ and GSP over him in terms of well rounded athleticism.

Different kinds of athleticism. Running and jumping have no real application in a fight.

running and jumping are about as basic as you can get in measuring athleticism across all sports. Yea there are guys who could beat me in wrestling but i was faster than them and could do shuttle runs faster than people on other teams who did those type of drills without training them because I was a better athlete

Hershel is one guy, Randy and Hendo were still good in their late 40's as well while many NFL players are also retired by the age Woodley is.
The average player in the NFL retires by 30 because the competition from 20 year olds is too great.
It's only the quarterbacks that are able to regularly play until their late 30s because it's a position that requires more mental attributes than physical ones.

I can name a lot of retired NFL players that are still excellent athletes though. I mean if Ray Lewis ever decided to walk into MMA at 43 I believe he'd do extremely well, even now. The guy was a dominant college wrestler so he'd have that base already there.

Lol @ this BJJ drills are a breeze compared to any workout an NFL player does.

yea idk what that guy is smoking, on a side note I feel wrestling has the best athletes in the world who are not big enough to play the big sports. Basically best athletes in the 125-155 range

Dude Johnson is one of if the thee best running back in the nfl. Sherdog don’t know shit about football it’s like listening to joe Rogan talk about other sports.

fair points, but in comparing Woodley "sucking wind" after the sprint and the NFL player not...were they each doing equal workouts ahead of that time? i.e. is it a fair comparison?

I would be legit interested in a more scientific comparison of how 'top' UFC athletes fare against elite athletes in other sports, in various measures of strength, endurance, speed, agility, coordination, etc...but there is NO doubt that a lot of elite pros could be MMA *monsters* with sufficient training.

until the money gap narrows further though, few of those guys are walking away from NFL, NBA, etc. contracts and stepping into a MMA cage for relative peanuts.

While they do those drills more than the average athlete, do you believe that Russell Westbrook would look as Tyron did simply because he's never done cone drills.
No shit he wouldnt, things like sprints, suicides, jumps and agility drills are also done as training in basketball. He'd do considerably better than Tyron. Because Westbrick does specific training for it.

A level athletes...lol.

Get your nose broke then go more rounds. Thats A level toughness. Thats what a fighter is.

This aint ball sports bitch.

what are you showing here? He looks quicker on his feet than every heavyweight on the UFC roster

ZjpeJWN.gif

The gif of the fireman ends with a devastating counter.

The gif of the all powerful A level athlete ends with him falling on his ass.

I don't expect him to start delivering counters just yet, but him being an A level athlete, running n shit, having supreme coordination and movement, should prevent him from falling like a dumbass ?

Maybe, just maybe, there are levels to this shit. And athleticism doesn't make you a good fighter. It's just one of many facets.

it's old but relevant now with A level Greg Hardy getting invited to the UFC, the drills are just lifting your legs up and putting them down, that's just basic agility, it's not some football specific thing.
Greg Hardy has really let himself go since transitioning to MMA. He's in nowhere near as good shape as he was in the NFL. Probably still be a top contender in a year though.

NFL A Level needs to be clarified.

There are plenty of big guys who were useful for a position on the line of scrimmage. Offensive line are put there because they’re big. Rarely is one of them truly a great athlete.
A fine running back, on the other hand, is almost always a great athlete with a diverse set of talents.

Greg Hardy has really let himself go since transitioning to MMA. He's in nowhere near as good shape as he was in the NFL. Probably still be a top contender in a year though.

yea he's definitely soft, NFL you gotta stay quicker/faster, less of a concern in MMA especially as a heavyweight

ZjpeJWN.gif

He does not.

He actually looks the same speed as Stipe, the thing is, the Stipe gif is in slow motion.

<36>

Stipe is clearly much faster.

He does not.

He actually looks the same speed as Stipe, the thing is, the Stipe gif is in slow motion.

<36>

Stipe is clearly much faster.

why are we only focusing on stipe here and not werdums awful lunging flailing? is he not a top heavyweight talent?

Back