The Ben Askren Retirement & Tribute Thread

Technically, when u released both Shields and Fitch...

All the more reason he shouldn't have joined the UFC. Both were high level fighters that share some similarities of fighting styles that the UFC treated like garbage even though they were talented. Askren blows them both out of the water outside of the cage though at generating self promotion.

I actually like you, MeatheadJock so for your sake I hope Askren goes out in style. :)

He was too cool for the game. Shame a lot of fans just wont know.

iu

If he made good money and was happy with what he was doing then more power to him, but I'm going to be forever disappointed he didn't fight any of the big names of the division.

https://www.flocombat.com/articles/...-triumphant-final-bow-at-one-immortal-pursuit

Ben Askren Preparing For Triumphant Final Bow At ONE: Immortal Pursuit
View Full 2017 ONE Championship: Immortal PursuitCoverage
Nov 21, 2017Duane Finley
ONE Championship
5a141fc8c54d4.png

Ben Askren has never marched to the beat of another man’s drum.

The two-time NCAA Division I national champion wrestler and former Olympian turned mixed martial arts titleholder has done things his own way every step of his journey. Therefore, it should come as no surprise the “Funky” one is deciding when that journey will end.

After nearly a decade spent battering and dominating his opposition inside the cage, the Milwaukee native has deemed his upcoming bout at ONE: Immortal Pursuit in Singapore on Friday to be his last. In a sport in which so many fighters get out far after their prime has faded, Askren aims to be one of the few who begins the next phase of his life with more than a highlight reel to his credit.

Watch ONE: Immortal Pursuit LIVE on FloCombat

Simply put: Askren has accomplished everything he set out to do, with one final notch to be claimed in defeating legendary Japanese grappler Shinya Aoki this weekend.

“Shinya is a really good final opponent,” Askren told ONEFC.com. “Obviously, he is a legend of the sport, and he is a really big challenge on the ground, which is where I like to compete, personally. I am excited for this bout.

“I had been planning this out for a while. I have been pretty open about it,” he added. “I had this expiration date set on myself, so I said to ONE Championship at the end of 2015 that I have two years left, and then I am done. I am going to walk away.

“I said from day one that I am the best in the world at what I do, and this is what I am going to do every single time. I have been saying that since I started in 2009, and I believe it more strongly than ever because I have proved it 17 times now, and I am pumped to prove it again.”

How to Watch
On TV: Available on Roku and Apple TV 4 — download the FloSports app now.

Streaming: Only on FloCombat with a PRO subscription. A yearly PRO subscription provides access to ALL FloSports sites.

Oh whoops.

I was looking for the other kind of Askren retirement thread. ;)

Flawless Victory! Thanks for the years of enjoyment Ben. #UNDEFEATED #CHAMPION

He's one of the few brave that would never be bullied by Dana. He stood his ground and will also go down as one of the most successful wrestlers in MMA. Now that we are seeing how good Bellator WW's are, he is vindicated.
go down as a nobody seriously no-one ares for askren now and nobody will 1 year down the road maybe even less. He's not a draw and fights nothing but cans

Askren is a BOSS.

He didn't sell his soul to the UFC for their "great" Reebok deal. He stood up to Dana and made a LOT of money in an organization that respects him. He's running successful wrestling academies AND is getting a front office job for ONE.

Winning and he's a legit BOSS now.

The UFC blew it with Fedor AND Askren.
But, Dana's gonna Dana.

Thanks Ben! You will be missed! I find myself hoping Wonderboy wins the belt and Dana signs Askren to title fight where Askren makes zero dollars if he loses.

Askren's retired and Yoel is old.... No one out there for me to get over the top excited about right now in the sport. Hopefully someone will emerge in the near future to fill a bit of that role.

My wife is having twins in April... I'm currently trying to convince her that Askren would make a good first name.

He had a good career, they were only a few guys that I would pick to beat him (MacDonald, Maia, maybe Woodley etc), but I enjoyed watching him demoralize his opponents.

Ben Askren is an amazing fighter. The best welterweight imo. Would love to see one final fight between him and GSP.

What a waste of talent. Watching him against wonderboy, más Vidal or even Colby would have been epic.

He did the right thing at the right time for himself when he signed with One FC, no doubt about it.

Only mistake I see is he should've really had an out clause in his contract at some point to explore free agency at a later date. You can talk all day long about the being the greatest and have fans clamor for your greatness but if you not in the cage with some of the best in the world its all just talk.

Unfortunately, chances are extremely high he goes down as could've, would've, should've kind of a fighter. I won't put him in Rickson territory but he is well on his way this being his legacy more so than his actual ability.

business wise, i dont know much about what hes made financially but from what ive been seeing on here hes done good, however, as a fighter, who has a fought worth a dime?

Back