The Bellator HW Tournament: Worst and Best matchups for each figher

SmoothPies

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
For the Bellator tournament, who do you think are the best and the worst possible matchups for each fighter?

Here are my picks:

Mir
Best: Chael Sonnen. Not a huge threat to Mir on the feet, and has shown weakness on the ground in the past which Mir could definitely capitalize on. Mir also will have a significant weight advantage.
Worst: Matt Mitrione. Fast striker, KO power, large enough to contend with Frank's size and it is hard to picture Frank setting up a TD to get him down.

Fedor
Best: Frank Mir. I think that Fedor would be too fast and too powerful for Frank on the feet and he could hold his own on the ground if need be.
Worst: Matt Mitrione. For obvious reasons that Matt already has a KO win over Fedor recently, but I also think that the style matchup is tough for Fedor in his later years given his tendency to stand and brawl.

Mitrione
Best: Frank Mir: Faster than Frank with better striking and can hold his own in the size department
Worst: Ryan Bader: I think that Mitrione is going to be a lot more susceptible to takedowns than people are expecting. Bader is one of 3 wrestlers in this tournament that I think can give Mitrione problems with takedowns.

King MO
Best: Chael Sonnen. I think that King MO will be able to keep the fight standing against Chael and outbox him.
Worst: Roy Nelson. I think that Roy's wrestling is very good, and MO will not be able to take him down and control him. Roy also is going to be very durable and have that power to stand in there and trade with King MO. I don't think King MO has good enough defense to avoid Nelson's right hand for 15 minutes.

Roy Nelson
Best: King MO. For the reason stated above.
Worst: It was actually very hard to think of his worst matchup, I think he has many good matchups in this tournament. I guess his worst might be Mir seeing as Mir has a dominant win over him.

Chael Sonnen
Best: Rampage. I think that in the shape and form Rampage is in now, Chael can stay all over Rampage with takedowns and control for 15 minutes.
Worst: Frank Mir. Too big, too good on the ground, and Chael can't do much to threaten him in the striking department IMO

Rampage
Best: Frank Mir. I had a hard time picking this, but I am just thinking that Rampage has a good chance of clipping Frank in an exchange on the feet and winning by KO.
Worst: Ryan Bader. Fight as already happened, but I just see Ryan being able to control Rampage with his wrestling

Ryan Bader
Best: Rampage. I think Ryan can shoot and get takedowns against Rampage and control the wrestling.
Worst: Frank Mir. Similar to Chael's weakness, I think that Bader won't be able to control or want to take down Frank, and will be forced to stand and trade with the larger and more powerful man.

For the Bellator tournament, who do you think are the best and the worst possible matchups for each fighter?

Here are my picks:

Mir
Best: Chael Sonnen. Not a huge threat to Mir on the feet, and has shown weakness on the ground in the past which Mir could definitely capitalize on. Mir also will have a significant weight advantage.
Worst: Matt Mitrione. Fast striker, KO power, large enough to contend with Frank's size and it is hard to picture Frank setting up a TD to get him down.

Fedor
Best: Frank Mir. I think that Fedor would be too fast and too powerful for Frank on the feet and he could hold his own on the ground if need be.
Worst: Matt Mitrione. For obvious reasons that Matt already has a KO win over Fedor recently, but I also think that the style matchup is tough for Fedor in his later years given his tendency to stand and brawl.

Mitrione
Best: Frank Mir: Faster than Frank with better striking and can hold his own in the size department
Worst: Ryan Bader: I think that Mitrione is going to be a lot more susceptible to takedowns than people are expecting. Bader is one of 3 wrestlers in this tournament that I think can give Mitrione problems with takedowns.

King MO
Best: Chael Sonnen. I think that King MO will be able to keep the fight standing against Chael and outbox him.
Worst: Roy Nelson. I think that Roy's wrestling is very good, and MO will not be able to take him down and control him. Roy also is going to be very durable and have that power to stand in there and trade with King MO. I don't think King MO has good enough defense to avoid Nelson's right hand for 15 minutes.

Roy Nelson
Best: King MO. For the reason stated above.
Worst: It was actually very hard to think of his worst matchup, I think he has many good matchups in this tournament. I guess his worst might be Mir seeing as Mir has a dominant win over him.

Chael Sonnen
Best: Rampage. I think that in the shape and form Rampage is in now, Chael can stay all over Rampage with takedowns and control for 15 minutes.
Worst: Frank Mir. Too big, too good on the ground, and Chael can't do much to threaten him in the striking department IMO

Rampage
Best: Frank Mir. I had a hard time picking this, but I am just thinking that Rampage has a good chance of clipping Frank in an exchange on the feet and winning by KO.
Worst: Ryan Bader. Fight as already happened, but I just see Ryan being able to control Rampage with his wrestling

Ryan Bader
Best: Rampage. I think Ryan can shoot and get takedowns against Rampage and control the wrestling.
Worst: Frank Mir. Similar to Chael's weakness, I think that Bader won't be able to control or want to take down Frank, and will be forced to stand and trade with the larger and more powerful man.

I think the only one i would change is Rampage. Easiest fight for him is Fedor imo. Smaller, not going to wrestle and is chinny.

Chael should be the favorite to lose most devastatingly

Chael should be the favorite to lose most devastatingly
unpossible. Chael is undefeated and undisputed. He beat every major title challenger and retired from the industry as it's highest paid athlete and biggest draw.

Chael has the least chance to win imo, he is too undersized & has very weak boxing defense. He gets clipped a lot and looks mega vulnerable, against guys with a huge weight advantage over him I'm not confident. I think he has a good shot to beat Page to advance to the next round.

Mo could surprise people, he has done well against HW competition...he has the ability to clinch and out grind larger opponents, it's just a matter of he can survive without getting clipped.

Fedor, as much as I'd love to see it I don't have much faith in his game plans or ability to take a shot, he matches up well with the lighter guys but Mir, Nelson or Matt are all dangerous match ups for him.
I think Nelsons the worst match up for him, a super durable HW with big power and very solid grappling.

Roy has a good chance, he may need to up his cardio if he doesn't want to be a punching bag or grappling dummy for the higher caliber wrestlers / grapplers.

I personally have Bader or Mitrione in the finale, will be interesting to see how big Bader gets for this tournament. If I had to make a bet, I'd go with Mitrione.

Chael vs Matt would be hilarious.
Actually Chael vs most HWs would be hilarious.

If Bellator is smart they’ll make Chael/Fedor in the first round, otherwise neither will advanced.

Would also be the fairest matchup for both of them at this stage of their careers.

I'm disappointed they didn't put Fedor against Chael in the first round.

If Bellator is smart they’ll make Chael/Fedor in the first round, otherwise neither will advanced.

Would also be the fairest matchup for both of them at this stage of their careers.

Mir and Fedor is first they don't want to risk losing the fight.

Nah, Chael will keep Rampage on his back for 3 rounds.

Chael vs Matt would be hilarious.
Actually Chael vs most HWs would be hilarious.

Yeah I don't know what he will do, Chael would be a soft 230lb at most, Mitrione lean 250+. Chaels never known for finishing power and is known to fold once things don't go his way, Matt would flat line him so bad I actually worry about Chaels safety in this tournament. I see no way how Chael possibly out wrestles guys like Roy, Mir or Matt. He struggled really badly against heavier guys later in his career and he is only older now.

How much did fedor weigh for his last bouts? Around 235-240? And chubby.
Rampage and sonnen will be that size and fat too. Bader will be that weight and solid.
I'm curious about this subject.
Mo will probably be the lightest and Mittrione or Mir the biggest and heaviest.

Yeah I don't know what he will do, Chael would be a soft 230lb at most, Mitrione lean 250+. Chaels never known for finishing power and is known to fold once things don't go his way, Matt would flat line him so bad I actually worry about Chaels safety in this tournament. I see no way how Chael possibly out wrestles guys like Roy, Mir or Matt. He struggled really badly against heavier guys later in his career and he is only older now.
chael was like 235 for his grappling match vs bisping. A fat 235.

Back