The Bat Cave

Fuck my life. :mad:

I've had problems fully locking out my left arm since my left shoulder was operated on last year. Normally, it's not too much of a problem. But today I was doing Hex Press and the left dumbbell slipped at the top, trapping my right thumb between the two dumbbells.

My right thumb is now swollen and very sore. I'll be dropping Hex Press from my Program and replacing it with another pressing movement that doesn't aggravate my shoulders. Might be Dumbbell Bench with a neutral grip. Might be 2-Board Press or even Smith Machine Bench/Floor Press. I'll have to wait until my thumb heals enough to grip a barbell or dumbbell to decide.

The only positive is that this happened during a Deload Week, when I wasn't intending on lifting heavy anyway.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

I remember dropping a weight on my foot a couple of years ago, just when I had finally got the ball rolling with my training routine after a lengthy period of irregular activity.

What surprised me was that within five seconds of it happening, instead of reacting with immediate anger and disappointment, I saw it as an opportunity to exercise psychological flexibiliy via working around the area and doing some much needed re- and prehab.

You've already displayed the same mentality in this paragraph:

I'll be dropping Hex Press from my Program and replacing it with another pressing movement that doesn't aggravate my shoulders. Might be Dumbbell Bench with a neutral grip. Might be 2-Board Press or even Smith Machine Bench/Floor Press. I'll have to wait until my thumb heals enough to grip a barbell or dumbbell to decide.

Stick with the above solution-oriented mentality and accept that the injury is on a timeline of its own. However much misery you choose to impart on yourself during that period is up to you - just bear in mind that it's entirely optional.

This entire post could just as well have been directed toward me, had I been in a similar situation. Best of luck, and a speedy recovery.

Back