The American Gun Rights Thread Vol. 4

Tax dollars at work.

Would love to know from any federal employees here how much shooting they do on Uncle Sam's dime.

I am an appraiser.
If I do any work for Chase Bank, I am not allowed to carry to any appraisal. I don't carry into peoples homes, but always do for vacant houses. Chase said that appraisers are not even allowed to carry in vacant homes, even the REO bank owned vacant homes.
So it looks, like as a business owner, I will no longer work for Chase Bank.

I was talking to my GF who delivers parts for an auto parts supplier but used to deliver pizza. She says "well I can't carry at work it's against policy". I said "it's not against the LAW, just policy. You can find a new job if you got fired. You couldn't find a new life if you were robbed or car jacked and killed".

Good luck in Massachusetts.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gun-righ...achusetts-over-assault-weapons-151205906.html

Gun rights advocates have sued Massachusetts over the state's ban on assault weapons, saying that a crackdown begun last year on "copycat" assault rifles is a vague and unconstitutional violation of gun ownership rights.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court late Monday, challenges a 1998 state law banning rifles including the AR-15 and AK-47 and a July 2016 directive by the states attorney general banning guns that are similar in function but have been slightly modified to meet state requirements, such as by replacing folding stocks with fixed models or removing flash suppressors.

The group of gun owners, dealers and the state's Gun Owners Action League, who have the backing of the National Rifle Association, said the July decision by Attorney General Maura Healey banned guns that had been purchased legally in the state over the past two decades and infringed on the right to bear arms protected by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

"Massachusetts prohibits firearms it pejoratively defines as 'assault weapons,' which is a non-technical, entirely fabricated, and political term of uncertain definition and scope," the 33-page lawsuit contends.

It said that 1.2 million such weapons were sold across the United States in 2014 and that that type of firearm represented 20 percent of U.S. gun sales in 2012.

The suit asks a federal judge to overturn the 1998 state law and to block the state from enforcing its July ban on "copies or duplicates" of assault rifles.

Another case ducked by SCOTUS.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...is-concealed-carry-appeal-20170123-story.html

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday let stand an Illinois system of issuing concealed carry permits that gun owners had complained violated their constitutional rights.

The court did not explain its decision, saying only that it would not interfere with the decision by the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals backing the state's requirements for obtaining a concealed-carry license.

Illinois was the last state in the nation to allow concealed carry permits after a 2012 ruling by the same appeals court that state's prohibition was unconstitutional under the 2nd amendment right to bear arms. State lawmakers enacted the Firearm Concealed Carry Act after that court ruling.

After state officials established a system to handle the applications, gun owners who were denied permits complained that they were given no explanation why they were turned down.

As an aside, Hawaii still won't issue them at all.

Yahoos in Florida looking to score some political points or are expecting a radical shift attitudes.

In honor of their efforts...

I am an appraiser.
If I do any work for Chase Bank, I am not allowed to carry to any appraisal. I don't carry into peoples homes, but always do for vacant houses. Chase said that appraisers are not even allowed to carry in vacant homes, even the REO bank owned vacant homes.
So it looks, like as a business owner, I will no longer work for Chase Bank.

I was talking to my GF who delivers parts for an auto parts supplier but used to deliver pizza. She says "well I can't carry at work it's against policy". I said "it's not against the LAW, just policy. You can find a new job if you got fired. You couldn't find a new life if you were robbed or car jacked and killed".
I just joined law shield, we went to a seminar and found out, outside of schools, and a couple other places the penalty for carrying in a 30.06 or 30.07 location is a small fine. The fine does not hurt your carry status at, so basically you can carry just about everywhere if you really don't feel safe.
That wouldn't stop someone from firing you though.

My work has me all over the place, some of my clients have businesses is sketchy parts of town, I started carrying everyday. We've had a couple incidents with robberies lately and I started thinking about the possibility of actually having to use my gun anyway thats why I joined this:
http://www.uslawshield.com

Not sure if this is good or bad.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4941492-155/bill-allowing-concealed-weapons-without-a

Lawmakers on Tuesday shot down a bill that sought to allow carrying concealed guns in Utah without a permit — but this time it had a twist to combine such provisions with new, greater protection for victims of domestic violence.

The House Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Committee voted 5-5 on HB237. The tie vote killed it for now.

But its sponsor, Rep. Lee Perry, R-Perry, said he may try to resurrect it later. "I will talk with those involved to get their feel on it."

Gov. Gary Herbert in 2013 vetoed legislation to allow carrying concealed guns without a permit, arguing that Utah's concealed-carry permit system has worked well to protect the state with extra background checks and a firearms safety class — and he did not want to undermine it. He has since said he would veto similar proposals.

So Perry pushed a somewhat different bill this year. In addition to allowing concealed carry without a permit, it would ban people who have protective orders against them or who have been convicted of domestic violence from buying, owning or carrying guns.

Perry said his permitless carry bill would allow such Utahns to legally have a concealed weapon immediately. He said they could open carry now — with a weapon worn outside clothing in open view, but that could escalate problems if seen by the person who has threatened violence.

Opposing the bill was Anne Bagley, a survivor of the Trolley Square mass shooting, representing Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense.

"HB237 potentially allows dangerous people to easily carry concealed loaded weapons in our state in public places, such as Trolley Square," she said, and "allows people who have not passed a background check or have proper safety training to carry loaded weapons around children and all of us."

Someone should let Anne Bagley know that lack of permit isn't going to stop a criminal from carrying a gun.

Weird to see this originating from state Governors. Won't be holding my breath though.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...nts-supreme-court-block-california-gun-limits

Gov. Greg Abbott on Friday asked the U.S. Supreme Court to block California's limits on concealed carry permit holders in a brief filed with eight other governors.

"The question presented is whether the State of California can single out one group of disfavored citizens--namely, gun owners--and impose unique burdens on their fundamental rights," the brief reads. "Indeed, no other group of private citizens has to prove--to the satisfaction of a government official vested with unreviewable and boundless discretion--that they really need to exercise their fundamental constitutional freedoms."

for the life of me, I can not get my brain around why some idiot would go through the trouble of building an entire website to promote bullshit stories

Last edited:
^
One of those moments you wish you could see the other 2 dudes faces when the first gets hit with a .308

Fucking incredible.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-second-amendment_us_58aceeebe4b0d0a6ef4634f8

A federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday that a Maryland ban on assault-style rifles and large-capacity magazines isn’t subject to the Constitution’s right to keep and bear arms.

The full U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit in Richmond, Virginia, reconsidered a divided ruling issued last year that found citizens have a “fundamental right” to own these weapons, and that laws restricting the right deserve the toughest level of constitutional scrutiny.

Writing for a nine-judge majority, U.S. Circuit Judge Robert King said that weapons such as M-16s and the kind that “are most useful in military service” aren’t protected by the Second Amendment as interpreted by the Supreme Court in the landmark District of Columbia v. Heller decision. That ruling limited the right to ownership of handguns for self-defense within the home.

“Put simply,” King wrote, “we have no power to extend Second Amendment protection to the weapons of war that the Heller decision explicitly excluded from such coverage.”

Are these people retarded? Heller didn't limit the right to handguns. It said you can't outlaw a commonly held class of firearms. And if a militia is to act as a fighting force then "military-style" is exactly the arms that are being protected.

LoL @ the 4th Circuit doing everything they can to turn a reliably blue voting state (Maryland) into purple or red.

I'm cool with this heading on up to the USSC. It'll probably won't be until 2019 tho - just enough time for Trump's second pick to be appointed.

Back