The American Gun Rights Thread Vol. 4

The Great State of Nebraska only requires a NICS check once every three years for Pistol Purchase Permit holders. Non-permit holders still have to go through the NICS nonsense, but the permit only costs $5. Pistol Purchase Permits are given on a "shall issue" basis. So long as you are not a prohibited person, our local LEO's must sign off on it.

I can only imagine the headaches and red tape those who live in less liberty-friendly states have to go through.

You mean like a year wait, having to get references, and pay somewhere in the 100 to 200 dollar range for the mere privilege of possessing or buying a pistol?

The Great State of Nebraska only requires a NICS check once every three years for Pistol Purchase Permit holders. Non-permit holders still have to go through the NICS nonsense, but the permit only costs $5. Pistol Purchase Permits are given on a "shall issue" basis. So long as you are not a prohibited person, our local LEO's must sign off on it.

I can only imagine the headaches and red tape those who live in less liberty-friendly states have to go through.

As far as I know ccw holders here don't need to do nics ever. The ffl I use only charges $10 with ccw for transfer, 15 without ccw.

As far as I know ccw holders here don't need to do nics ever. The ffl I use only charges $10 with ccw for transfer, 15 without ccw.

I thought the background check was federally mandated when purchasing from an ffl. Didn't realize states could waive the requirement.

I thought the background check was federally mandated when purchasing from an ffl. Didn't realize states could waive the requirement.

They just put your ccw info in the paperwork. The ccw permit requires background check and fingerprints so it's kind of pointless to do nics to someone who went through those ccw steps.

Winchester Model 70. You're great grand children will be able to shoot that gun. The Model 70 is a proven, rugged (Mauser bolts rarely fail) platform that is available in the caliber you want.

How does the Winchester Model 70 compare to the Remington Model 700?

How does the Winchester Model 70 compare to the Remington Model 700?
More reliable, better constructed bolt. Bigger, better claw extractor. Three point safety switch (look into it). No trigger recall (do NOT buy a Remington 700 until you have checked if it's a recalled trigger or not, people have died because of Remingtons faulty trigger).

The bolt and receiver are built to withstand more powerful rounds and loads.

It's a well constructed gun that will be shootable several lifetimes after you pass it along to your grandchildren.

I am an appraiser.
If I do any work for Chase Bank, I am not allowed to carry to any appraisal. I don't carry into peoples homes, but always do for vacant houses. Chase said that appraisers are not even allowed to carry in vacant homes, even the REO bank owned vacant homes.
So it looks, like as a business owner, I will no longer work for Chase Bank.

More reliable, better constructed bolt. Bigger, better claw extractor. Three point safety switch (look into it). No trigger recall (do NOT buy a Remington 700 until you have checked if it's a recalled trigger or not, people have died because of Remingtons faulty trigger).

It's a well constructed gun that will be shootable several lifetimes after you pass it along to your grandchildren.

I've been looking at the Model 70 since you told me about it and I love the Extreme Weather SS version. That's the one I'd be interested in getting.

original.img.jpg

It pains me though because I love that Opti-Camo on the Kimber, but for the price and the reputation, I think the Winchester is definitely the way to go. Plus, I believe it's only like 1 pound heavier. Not a big deal. And I even dig the black matted stock with the little lightning bolts all over it. And like you said, more money for a good scope. I've always used a 2-9 power, but I'm kinda wanting to go more powerful. I think for a 300 Win Mag I'd like to do something like ~8-24 (I don't remember the exact power levels but it was something like that). I know that'll make shooting anything close more difficult, but I've run into issues in the past trying to make shots that were too far for 9 power so I think this time I'd like to try something with more power. On the flip side, this one year I got a buck off the road while driving back to camp and he was maybe 20 feet from me, and I'm sure having a super powerful scope would have fucked there. So... idk. But I'm definitely leaning towards more power at this time.

Please contact your representatives and encourage them to vote in favor of this.

https://hudson.house.gov/press-rele...oncealed-carry-reciprocity-bill/#.WG2WfNIrLmg

Today, U.S. Representative Richard Hudson (NC-08) released the following statement after introducing the bipartisan Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 (H.R. 38) with 58 original cosponsors:

“Our Second Amendment right doesn’t disappear when we cross state lines, and this legislation guarantees that. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 is a common sense solution to a problem too many Americans face. It will provide law-abiding citizens the right to conceal carry and travel freely between states without worrying about conflicting state codes or onerous civil suits. As a member of President-elect Trump’s Second Amendment Coalition, I look forward to working with my colleagues and the administration to get this legislation across the finish line.”

Rep. Hudson’s bill, which is supported by major pro-Second Amendment groups, would allow people with a state-issued concealed carry license or permit to conceal a handgun in any other state that allows concealed carry, as long as the permit holder follows the laws of that state. It also allows residents of Constitutional carry states the ability to carry in other states that recognize their own resident’s right to concealed carry.

I thought it was 60 to bring it to a vote (i.e. ending debate) and 51 to legally pass it.
My bad. I still can't see 8 or 9 Dems crossing over but who knows (plus some Reps who actually do care about state rights might object to it).

My bad. I still can't see 8 or 9 Dems crossing over but who knows (plus some Reps who actually do care about state rights might object to it).

I agree. Deal-making in Washington can add an element of squirrelyness so who knows.

I dont own a 700 , but i do own a model seven and a model 70 , and i can say without a doubt that the winchester is the more quality piece by far.

I ordered the model seven having never held one because i wanted lightweight and fast handling rifle that would suit a young shooter well. The stock feels like it belongs on an airsoft rifle for one , and is imperfectly fit to the reciever too. They managed to fuck up the " Model Seven " engraving on the side also. Oh , the " jeweling on the bolt is really just where they spray it with the matte finish thats on the rest of the gun and polish if off , not actuall jeweling. The bolt release will stay in the up position now after the bolt is released , ive got about 30 rounds down the pipe , probably just gunked up , but still hardly a robust design if so.

Rifle is about on par with a lower end Savage , not what youd expect 600 bucks to get you ( not high end by any means , but id expect a well put together rifle anyway). Do a little research on current production Remingtons and you'll see a million anecdotes like mine , qc seems to be shit over there now.

Id cough up the extra $200 and get an FN made model 70 in the featherweight configuration if I had to do it again.

I dont own a 700 , but i do own a model seven and a model 70 , and i can say without a doubt that the winchester is the more quality piece by far.

I ordered the model seven having never held one because i wanted lightweight and fast handling rifle that would suit a young shooter well. The stock feels like it belongs on an airsoft rifle for one , and is imperfectly fit to the reciever too. They managed to fuck up the " Model Seven " engraving on the side also. Oh , the " jeweling on the bolt is really just where they spray it with the matte finish thats on the rest of the gun and polish if off , not actuall jeweling. The bolt release will stay in the up position now after the bolt is released , ive got about 30 rounds down the pipe , probably just gunked up , but still hardly a robust design if so.

Rifle is about on par with a lower end Savage , not what youd expect 600 bucks to get you ( not high end by any means , but id expect a well put together rifle anyway). Do a little research on current production Remingtons and you'll see a million anecdotes like mine , qc seems to be shit over there now.

Id cough up the extra $200 and get an FN made model 70 in the featherweight configuration if I had to do it again.

Remington Model 7 triggers were also recalled for the same reason. Make sure you don't have a recalled trigger. With all of the quality control issues your rifle seems to have, it may be likley.

Be safe friend.

The Model 70 is a great rifle, I have one that was made in 1968 (so unfortunately not a pre 64 rifle). I believe the new ones are made in Portugal, so I'm not sure how they are.

Back