The All-Purpose Rugby Thread (League and Union): Champions Cup Semi-Finals on Today

Sonny Bill red-carded for a high takle/ shoulder to Watson's face......borderline.

First All Black to be sent off in 50 years.

9-9 at half time.

NZ still favourites probably.

Lions choking big time in the second half, thus far.

21-21

10 minutes to go........Lions will never have a better chance to beat NZ.

24-21 Lions!

They did it......just.

Seems all you have to do to beat NZ is to play with an extra man.

Sets up next week perfectly......expect NZ to give the Lions a tonking, but even a 2-1 defeat has a positive look to it.

Good win for the Lions, atleast it keeps the series alive.

Tough task in Auckland next week.

So we have 2 first game deciders in Auckland for Lions v AB's and in Brisbane for NSW v QLD in Origin.

Important win but not really a good win per se, good to come back from being down but against 14 men should obviously have done better. But still, lions were playing well in the first 20 mins anyway so there were some good signs. Wasn't sure about Warburton being picked but he was really good at the breakdown. In any case good to have something to play for in the final test.

I can't believe people are thinking this was a good win. The lions struggled to put away a 14 man team.

I can't believe people are thinking this was a good win. The lions struggled to put away a 14 man team.

Penalty count was atrocious. Vunipola in particular was shite. The important thing was the win, though, as I said it wasn't a good win necessarily...

Penalty count was atrocious. Vunipola in particular was shite. The important thing was the win, though, as I said it wasn't a good win necessarily...
Yeah,and the all blacks habit if giving away penalties rather than tires is boring.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40649652

Confirmed that South African sides will be joining the new Pro14.

I will try and keep an open mind about this, even though I don't like the idea of the league being split into conferances. Presumably this is the first step in further expansion, there was talk of North American teams (really don't want that), plus the Georgian bid (wouldn't mind that, I would like to see Georgian rugby develop). There was also some billionare looking to bankroll a German team (also a bit iffy in my mind).

But it'll be interesting to see what the South African sides bring (even if they are the dregs of Super Rugby, they were still Super Rugby teams), especially if there is clauses is them strengthening their sides. Plus the Pro12 really does need to find cash from somewhere or else we will be left behind by the Aviva and Top14, as plenty of other people have mentioned.

As long as it doesn't diminish the derbies and interpros I think I can learn to live with it. The exact format will need to confirmed but I have read some rumours that the derbies will be protected, still not sure how that will work tbh...but we will have to wait and see. I wuld have prefer cutting the Dragons and merging the Italian sides (or cutting Zebre) and then leaving it at 12, but what can you do...

Vunipola had the cheek to slap Furlong in the Cheifs game plus Kyle Sinckler seems he could be the next Manu Tuilagi.

PRO12 to become the PRO14 confirmed...two conferences of 7, first step towards further expansion.
DGIbMVRXkAAgKfY

Not sold on the whole thing, but I will try and remain cautiously optimistic. We really do need more money to compete, with all the money flowing into the French and English leagues we need to level the playing field if we want Irish teams to remain at the highest levels in Europe.

Big mans birthday today, remember seeing this live, great moment. We could be doing with the likes of Ferris these days, shame about his injuries:

Try for Crusaders, against the run of play too.

Damn another try for Crusaders, Lions defence just feel apart right there. Hope this isn't gonna be the start of a bloodbath.

Back