The All-Purpose Rugby Thread (League and Union): Champions Cup Semi-Finals on Today

Brute of a player. Out of interest was he a standout in your game or just a journeyman pro..?

Yes he was a standout player, one of the best forwards in the Rabbitohs team that won the Grand Final (along with Burgess) in 2014. And he has represented Queensland for State of Origin.

Brute of a player. Out of interest was he a standout in your game or just a journeyman pro..?
Nah he was a decent player like Burgess but the difference between is Teo has had time to learn the union game unlike rushed Sam.

Hope making a balls of that bonus point try at the end today doesn't come back to bite us (Wales) on the arse. Italy just not up to scratch at this level, gonna be an easy 5 pointer for England & Ireland for sure.
Ssshhhhhh!!You jinx our bhoys ;)

Yes he was a standout player, one of the best forwards in the Rabbitohs team that won the Grand Final (along with Burgess) in 2014. And he has represented Queensland for State of Origin.
Im not sure if it's a Russell Crowe thing or the like but i love watching the Rabbitohs,not that i don't enjoy them all just seems all teams seem to get up for them. Aren't there like 20 Burgess brothers? ;)

Im not sure if it's a Russell Crowe thing or the like but i love watching the Rabbitohs,not that i don't enjoy them all just seems all teams seem to get up for them. Aren't there like 20 Burgess brothers? ;)

haha aye there's Sam, George, Tom and Luke. At one point all of them played for the Rabbitohs.

I'm not a huge Rabbitohs fan, personally I support the Warriors when it comes to the NRL.

haha aye there's Sam, George, Tom and Luke. At one point all of them played for the Rabbitohs.

I'm not a huge Rabbitohs fan, personally I support the Warriors when it comes to the NRL.
I'm not as much a supporter of them as much as i am a fan of the Storm.Just in the states they don't show all the NRL matches so when they do have a match on it most often seems to be the Rabbitohs and it's always hyped up as a big event.

RIP Joost Van der Westhuizen........a real shame. One of the the best #9s ever.

I like it in general, but not in such a short competition. It makes it feasible a team could do the grand slam yet not win the trophy!
Nah they're awarding an extra 3 points to a team winning all 5 games to make that impossible.

Nah they're awarding an extra 3 points to a team winning all 5 games to make that impossible.

I'm shite at maths but in theory what if a team only looses once but picks up the four try bonus in all other matches?

I'm shite at maths but in theory what if a team only looses once but picks up the four try bonus in all other matches?

4 wins with bonus point = 20 points.
1 loss with 2 bonus points = 2 points.
Total =22 points.

5 wins with no bonus points = 20 points.
3 point bonus for grand slam
Total = 23 points.

Really? That's odd, in itself.
It's just to cover themselves from the embarrassment of a team winning the grand slam but having to present the trophy to somebody else. Couldn't ever see that actually happening in reality though.

It's just to cover themselves from the embarrassment of a team winning the grand slam but having to present the trophy to somebody else. Couldn't ever see that actually happening in reality though.

Yeah.

Still, if you're going to go with the system, go with it. As you say VERY unlikely to ever happen, but the 3 point bonus is stupid.......undermines the whole point.

Put together a quick highlight video for this years Auckland Nines:

Edit: looks like the audio has been muted, I'll have to get a new song and re-upload.

Last edited:
Marcell Coetzee finally making his Ulster debut this Friday night, really excited to see him play, god knows we are really needing a big ball carrier in the forwards, but at the same time you figure he'll need a few games to get back up to match speed since he's been out for so long.

Ignore the shitty music on this tribute but shows the sort of player he is

Back