The All-Purpose Rugby Thread (League and Union): Champions Cup Semi-Finals on Today

Yeah, not a bad performance for the USA in this tournament imo

Rugby 7's should of been in the London games...talk about not having vision.

Actually all this talk about making the USA the next big thing in Rugby should fuck off as it's too big a country for anything apart it's self.
Be great if Europe, Russia, Japan, South America etc etc spoke the same language as the USA then maybe we would not be high jacked with there movies, music and junk food etc etc.
There is a life and has been outs the states.

PS Canada is more then welcome to ditch there NFL Lite CFL and come to Rugby Union and League but the USA can stick there lost NCAA/NFL players up there arse...we don't need them.

PPS if ever a proper Rugby nation it should be Russia but they are too thick following there shit Football team about and attacking normals and pissheads and not dodgy arab fuckers.

Rant end Pardon For The Bollocks...NBC

Been curious about Rugby for a bit, this sevens version is definitely fun to watch, but had a few questions;

What's with the kickoffs? some seem to be more sideways than long, what's the rule on that exactly?

Also what's with the tiny self kicks to restart after fouls? Is that llike an old rule that is basically worked around?

Finally, the I think I get the ruck but wasn't sure exactly when those rules are no longer in effect as it seems like opposing players would wait even after someone else picked the ball back up but hadn't moved. Is that just strategy of waiting to see how they move or can they not come in from the sides while the other player is still "in the pocket"

Been curious about Rugby for a bit, this sevens version is definitely fun to watch, but had a few questions;

Glad to hear it! I'm happy to help :) Sevens is definitely fun, and easier to see what's going on for newcomers. Hopefully it's gets you into the full game though.

What's with the kickoffs? some seem to be more sideways than long, what's the rule on that exactly?

The only rule is that it has to go ten metres. In the full game kicks will go long to secure territory but in 7s, because it's only 7 minute halves, kicks go short/sideways to give your team a chance to contest the ball and get possession. Think of it like an onside kick in the NFL.

Also what's with the tiny self kicks to restart after fouls? Is that llike an old rule that is basically worked around?

From penalties teams have a number of options, they can take the feed into the scrum, kick to touch for a throw into a lineout, kick over the posts for 3 points. The other option is the tap penalty, in the full game this is only really done close to the try line or if the defence isn't set. I guess the reason for the tap is so it's clear that that's what you've decided to do.

Finally, the I think I get the ruck but wasn't sure exactly when those rules are no longer in effect as it seems like opposing players would wait even after someone else picked the ball back up but hadn't moved. Is that just strategy of waiting to see how they move or can they not come in from the sides while the other player is still "in the pocket"

Yeah basically only the first defender to the ball can use his hands to pick it up in a ruck. This includes the tackler as long as he gets up and releases the tackled player first. But once a ruck is formed (when you see the opposing players challenging over the ball) you can only use your feet, unless you drive the other team back over the ball in which case you can then pick it up. And you can only join a ruck through the middle, and you need to be on your feet.

But I'm sure you got that, just to be clear. When the ball is available to be picked up at the back of a ruck, they have five seconds to use it (might be less in 7s actually, and I think they should make it 3 in the full game but I digress haha), when the ball is available and the attacking player picks it up they can technically be tackled. But defenders cant come from an offside position to do that which makes it less likely, the offside line is the hindmost foot of each player in the ruck. So you can't stand at the side waiting to blast the scrum half or whoever.

offside-at-ruck.jpg

Other than that it's basically as you say, no point rushing out of your line and breaking your defensive shape when it's unlikely you'll make a clean hit anyway. Especially in 7s since one on one match ups are so key and a gap can easily be exploited. Plus refs tend to give the benefit of the doubt to scrum half's/player picking it up in order to keep the game flowing.

Last edited:
Thank you, there was definitely a few rules about the ruck I didn't even realize I wasn't understanding, but it makes a lot more sense now

The 7's and so far the Olympics have been an utter come down compared to London as I find it so sad that proper sporting athletes ( not some 99 million Soccer dame or some fat NFL defensive who hasn't touched a ball in his life) have dedicated there past 4 years or so to get to Rio to be played out of empty stadiums :(...
Brazil should never of got it and the Rugby 7's should of been in London 2012.

So happy that Fiji won. Their first medal ever too.

Amazing try from the Broncos here, Anthony Milford is just incredible and he's only 22.

I like the look of Bevan French...I wonder if Australian Rugby Union will try and get him.

Yeah French tore it up at the Nines. Looks a quality player, shame the Eels are such a shitshow right now.

Yeah French tore it up at the Nines. Looks a quality player, shame the Eels are such a shitshow right now.
See Hayne got a good crowd at the Gold Coast hope he keeps them up plus thought Hayne should of went to Union 5 years ago.

See Hayne got a good crowd at the Gold Coast hope he keeps them up plus thought Hayne should of went to Union 5 years ago.

Yeah kicked the winning field goal in the last few seconds so he did. Great match so it was.

Yeah kicked the winning field goal in the last few seconds so he did. Great match so it was.
Rimbaud watch this clip I posted with the Hawaii NCAA Football players going to watch a South Sydney game at ANZ as u=it makes the NRL look like a B-level sport ( which t's not) with all those empty seats.

Back