The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Agreed. That just shows his poor judgement and poise under pressure. Bide your time and make a proper takeover but dont force the issue. Max was wrong for kimi collision, but not that imo.

And how perfect was that timing with the end if the ufc and this race start!

I didn't watch the UFC event but I figured something big must have happened in it because the Sherdog site was glitching. It was after the race coverage when I found out that Connor got his shit pushed in. My first thought was that it was staged to get even more money for a rematch.

Moving on to the Circuit of the Americas next where Hamilton has won the last 4 and five out of the six races run there. If Hamilton can win again, Vettel would have to finish second to avoid mathematical elimination from the title.

I have to get to a race one of these days. Montreal is close and I should have been many times. Usa is also not bad. I dont know what i am waiting for.

I never understood why took that away. I mean I get the cost-saving measure but that seems like a bad idea to cut cost.
In general, F1 went in the wrong direction the last 5-8 years.
I don't really want to see who can drive fuel efficient or who can make their tires last the longest.
I just want to see who can drive around a racetrack the fastest without crashing. That pretty much all that racing is.

I also have to say that this season was an excellent one from Hamilton. Probably his best.
And I am no fan of him but he I think all things considered Ferrari had the better car but Hamilton was able to beat them.

I like the no refueling thing. It's another element in the racing and I don't think it brings down the quality of the racing much.

And agreed, Lewis has literally wrung out every last drop of speed out of that car.

Fun race from what I watched.

The disparity is too far IMO if Max and Danny Ric can pretty much pass the field within 10 laps

agreed, there has to be some form of parity instituted.
they say it shouldn't be about money but obviously it is.
the top two or three teams have scads more than the rest
giving them a clear advantage.

Whatever a racing body tries to do, teams find ways to work with it. The choice of tires were suppose to do what running with a light fuel load did previously. It was thought that teams would have to pit twice in a race for tires but they have been able to make it on two sets for the most part.

Pit speed limits make it take too long to be able to use the speed gained by softer tires or low fuel loads. When a car loses 21 seconds or more by stopping, teams can't afford to make one more stop than their competitors unless it's under the perfect safety car circumstances like in Australia this year. Even if they could be a half of a second a lap faster, in a 50 lap race, that time can't be made up.

The wider tires allow faster cornering but also make the cars wider faster and more difficult to pass.

The Drag Reduction System was supposed to aid in passing but it hasn't provided the big benefits they anticipated. The aerodynamics mean the car behind is running in dirty air so the DRS doesn't provide enough advantage.

Indycar went to everyone using the same chassis with two different engine suppliers so everyone had the same aerodynamics. They have a limited amount of fuel both on board, as well as for the race. They work fuel strategy but if cautions come, it can ruin their race.

NASCAR closes the pits until all the cars catch up with the pace car so cars can't pit from the rear and gain an advantage on the leaders.

I've seen people spend thousands of dollars on cars and motors to win in a street stock class on a dirt track where the winner got $100.

People always want to go back to the days when racing seemed simpler, but even then, money made the difference. People did come up with things they could do better, but those things soon spread to other cars. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.
They should just allow for DRS the entire race. That would make passing early and often. Or more crashes when they are bunched up. Try it and see!

I know, let's have 'stages' like Nascan does. You see how well that works.
That should make things interesting.
:(

Fun race from what I watched.

The disparity is too far IMO if Max and Danny Ric can pretty much pass the field within 10 laps

There are 3 teams with enough money to compete. The rest take the table scraps. Like NASCAR driver Buddy Arrington once commented that he knew the engines he purchased from Richard Petty wouldn't be as fast as the ones in Richard's car. Teams that have to purchase poweplants from other teams have to know that they won't get the best equipment. They don't have the money to spend in the wind tunnel and making carbon fiber parts. One team that does do better than their engine manufacturer's own team is Red Bull.

Indycar ended up using one chassis for all competitors and two engine suppliers to put the racing into the drivers, mechanics and strategists hands.

Of course sponsors want their name on a winner which leads to more successful teams having the most money.

agreed, there has to be some form of parity instituted.
they say it shouldn't be about money but obviously it is.
the top two or three teams have scads more than the rest
giving them a clear advantage.

The higher teams finish, the more money they get. Maybe give the lower finishing teams more money.

Nice win for Chase.

That was a very strange race. Jimmy Johnson had a ball joint failure during the warm up laps.

Kyle Bush had the track bar adjuster fail during the race.

Clint Bowyer had a suspension failure during the race.

Harvick appeared to have the race well in hand but, once again, his pit crew failed him as he had to stop for a loose wheel, going a lap down.

The cars that only took 2 tires to try to gain track position benefited from late race collisions so the cars with 4 fresh tires didn't have time to catch them.

There are 3 teams with enough money to compete. The rest take the table scraps. Like NASCAR driver Buddy Arrington once commented that he knew the engines he purchased from Richard Petty wouldn't be as fast as the ones in Richard's car. Teams that have to purchase poweplants from other teams have to know that they won't get the best equipment. They don't have the money to spend in the wind tunnel and making carbon fiber parts. One team that does do better than their engine manufacturer's own team is Red Bull.

Indycar ended up using one chassis for all competitors and two engine suppliers to put the racing into the drivers, mechanics and strategists hands.

Of course sponsors want their name on a winner which leads to more successful teams having the most money.

I know. Almost all sports, particularly team sport break down to haves vs have nots.

Brendon Hartley, how you disappointed me.. Quali'ed 6th and then proceeded to get eaten alive in the first lap.

It's the end of an era. They were a great team.

I figured the announcement would be the retirement of Jimmie Johnson.

Petit Le Mans from Road Atlanta was a very enjoyable race IMO.
from light to darkness, two of the leading cars ran out of gas on the LAST lap.
Montoya destroyed the prototype he was driving, sending into the tire wall in a yard sale
spin. Some great battles.

Last edited:
Quite a performance by the Stewart-Haas cars so far at Talladega. They finished top 4 in both stages. Some teams pitted during a late caution in the second stage and stayed out so the SH cars started back in the pack but it didn't take them long to get back to the front. They are running top 4 but the BIG ONE is still to come with 28 to go.

Good to see Almirola finally get into victory lane in Danica's car that pretty much ran 27th every week for years.

A corner worker was killed Sunday at turn 11, Laguna Seca Raceway.
From forum posts by drivers in attendance at the private function rental day, a car
leaked oil onto the track before the famous corkscrew turn and a Porsche GT3 lost control
through it and crashed into the tire barrier on the other side with considerable impact.
The corner worker, who is usually stationed at the apex of the turn ran across the track to
give aid to the driver and was struck by another Porsche coming through the turn.

Awesome track, I have hundreds of laps there and the corkscrew is not to be taken lightly.
Just last month in the Lambo Trofeo Series, a female driver for Wayne Taylor Racing had a huge
impact at the same spot. This one is mysterious though, as the car and it's brakes checked out
fine later on.

in checking, there was a fatal at that turn in '99.

and another bad one in 2012 involving a Ferrari 458 (driver was ok)

about the 2:00 mark

Last edited:
Back