The All-Purpose Motor Sports Thread.

edgekiller65

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Aside from a jump here and there about F1 or NASCAR, the registration is pretty low when it comes to motor sports on Sherdog, I think it would more logical to have a thread where EVERYTHING with four wheels (or two) and an engine goes to. Aside from being an info hub or a place where people can discuss about the past and all that shit, it would also serve as a way to know about other forms of motor sports. So, it's a win-win IMO.

Also, rednecks vs. eurotrash. Who wins? Let's find out.

First of all, some news. Allen Bestwick, the long time announcer of NASCAR on ABC and ESPN, will also take the play-by-play duties for the IndyCar races, including the Indianapolis 500.

Also, tomorrow is the start of the Dakar Rally in Argentina, the biggest rally raid race in the world. Here's a preview:

[YT]ZJN6ex1P3A4[/YT]

There will be a highlights show on NBCSN.

Last edited:
Mercedes is slow at Singapore. Hamilton not only failed at claiming his 8th straight pole, he could do no better than 5th in qualifying. It seems to be a rear traction issue. Vettel takes the pole and the Ferrari and Red Bull cars make up the first 2 rows.

Just got my tickets to Monster Jam a few days ago
Pretty pumped about that
Havent been since I was a kid

I'm expecting a good race tomorrow, Singapore never fails to disappoint.

For reasons more related with marketing than anything else, F1 decided to ditch the system of asigning car numbers according to the constructors championship of the previous year. Now, the car number will be chosen by the driver and he'll carry it for the duration of their F1 career. In short, they'll adopt a number system similar to MotoGP instead of the NASCAR/IndyCar system of letting the teams choose which car numbers they'll carry.

Today, it was announced which numbers will be carried by the drivers starting this season. Among the most known drivers, Vettel chose the 5, Alonso the 14, Button the 22, Hamilton the 44, Massa the 19 and Raikkonen the 7. The only number that can't be picked is the 1, that automatically goes to the champion of the previous year.

And of course, Pastor Maldonado is stupid (or bold) enough to pick the 13.

Last edited:
its truly amazing to me that with their total domination, mercedes has been caught out by a rear tire grip issue. in truth, its more likely a suspension issue since all teams receive the same tires.

would be nice to see someone else finish 1st and 2nd this race.

happy to see rossi make his debut, but man what a track to do it on.
zero runoff.

Pretty pumped about that

It's in Atlanta tonight. Haven't been in years but I never missed one when I was a kid. Monster trucks are hella entertaining, it's crazy to see trucks that big with that much power just flying through the air and flipping.

its truly amazing to me that with their total domination, mercedes has been caught out by a rear tire grip issue. in truth, its more likely a suspension issue since all teams receive the same tires.

would be nice to see someone else finish 1st and 2nd this race.

happy to see rossi make his debut, but man what a track to do it on.
zero runoff.

I wonder if the new Mercedes engine has too much torque causing the rear grip issue.

It will be an interesting race. They've been bouncing off the cushions a lot in practice. The super soft tires aren't expected to last long and the soft tires don't have the traction. I expect a lot of crashing during the race.

I've always been more partial to off-roads and rally raids. That's why I dig races like the Dakar, the Baja 1000 or this invention out of Robby Gordon's head: the Stadium Super Truck series.

[YT]-aJr8rFuCGA[/YT]

That said, monster trucks are badass. And gave the world this:

[YT]WUKxbPv4q18[/YT]

yea interesting theory on torque being the culprit in rear grip problem for them.
vettel and ricciardo should excel here.

Vettel won at the streets of Singapore, with Ricciardo and Raikkonen completing the podium. Hamilton DNF'd and Rosberg finished in 4th.

But the highlight of the race was...this guy.

REmwfku.png

I've always been more partial to off-roads and rally raids. That's why I dig races like the Dakar, the Baja 1000 or this invention out of Robby Gordon's head: the Stadium Super Truck series.

[YT]-aJr8rFuCGA[/YT]

That said, monster trucks are badass. And gave the world this:

[YT]WUKxbPv4q18[/YT]

[YT]u5z_uD4z1QM[/YT]

ha, yea wtf.
dude looked like he was out for a stroll.
lawlessness is not tolerated in singapore.
dude will probably get caned for that.

Pretty pumped about that

Monster Jam is now for the kids, its not what the twenty+ and older crowd grew up with. As I like to say its Disney on Ice with trucks, as FELD also owns them. The smaller monster truck promoters put on a monster truck show, not sports entertainment.

Start of the Chase today.

Wonder how many fights will take place over the next 10 weeks.

I remember as a kid thinking something was off when all of a sudden Bigfoot stopped being at the dome. Turns out he refused to sell the rights to his truck to Clear Channel or whoever originally bought out the USHRA. I mean it's clearly a work, Grave Digger doesn't just happen to win almost every week for 20+ years. I take it for what it is and enjoy the spectacle of it and not any sort of competition.

Here's a good article about this year's IndyCar season. It also includes a proposal about changing the current qualifying method for the Indianapolis 500. Basically would be switching days between Pole Day and Bump Day. Therefore, on the weekend before Indy, Saturday will be Bump Day where it gets decided who will enter the race, and Sunday will be when the positions get decided.

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/10307217/indycar-tony-kanaan-kicks-2014-indycar-watch

Also...a certain jabroni named Kurt Busch wants to run at Indy. Must be some dumb redneck.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/10309795/kurt-busch-mulling-potential-indy-500-run

And Bernie Ecclestone left the board of directors of F1 due to his trial at Germany for being a fucking crook.

http://espn.go.com/racing/f1/story/...bernie-ecclestone-faces-bribery-trial-germany

Last edited:
Rosberg has the pole and both Mercedes are on the front row but the rest of the field is fragmented as both Q2 and Q3 were interrupted by incidents on the track. Kvyat ended Q3 early and destroyed his car in a crash with the car spinning end for end and rolling over.

[YT]EFl5dR59SyA[/YT]

Hamilton stays even with Rosberg at the start getting the inside of turns 1 and 2 forcing Rosberg wide and dropping him to 4th. Hamilton wins followed by Rosberg and Vettel.

Any other wrc or formula d fans on here?

F1 Japan GP

Pretty easy win for Lewis, great start and push past Nico. There wasn't a fight for first but their was good racing throughout the field.

Any other wrc or formula d fans on here?

Im starting to follow WRC but am a complete newbie.

Ogier seems like he will take Monte Carlo for VW after a bad start.

Rober Kubica was leading but had a nasty crash.

Sad that the only notable moments from the race was Alonso's bitching over the team radio.

Poor Kubica. To think there was a time he was a hot commodity in F1, and then he almost got killed doing rally. Good for him being back in a competitive enviroment, but he's one big what if.

WRC have a tough challenge in the sense that they'll have to reestablish after the Loeb era. Doesn't help that Ford no longer has a works team and Citroen is scaling down their involvement, but at least they have VW in their second year and Hyundai returning.

Speaking of rallys, Nani Roma beat Stephane Peterhansel by 5 minutes to win the 2014 Dakar Rally in cars, becoming the second rider to win the race in both cars and bikes. Marc Coma won on bikes by almost two hours.

BTW, since it's still offseason, how about throwing some vintage racing to entertain the masses? Here's the 1994 Indianapolis 500, considered to be what broke the camel's back and led Tony George to form the IRL 2 years later.

[YT]Yw3l1Y8xXdE[/YT]

Ogier takes Monte Carlo for the VW.

Both Hyundai cars left early.

LOL at 0.26 guy running on the road.

used to love to watch wrc, til network dropped it.
the #2 viewing draw behind NFL is racing, probably nascar.
thats what I heard on tv the other day.

Johnson and Kyle Busch both have hit trouble today.

Big crash between Danica and Ragan.

Dover is going to be great next week.

used to love to watch wrc, til network dropped it.

same here I caught acouple races last season on youtube but then that channel got terminated. It's been some years since I was really really on it

Ogier definitely had luck on his side, a simple tire choice lol. What are yall podium finishes for Sweden?

Harvick runs out at lap 297. He will have to win at Dover to advance now.

I've seen limited coverage from time to time on something called veloHD but
its usually in the middle of the night and you need to dvr it.

I sure miss it.

just caught the aftermath of danica's incident.
ragan was giving her shit in an interview for not getting on her brakes.
and keeping the car from coming down the track.
she's a D level racer IMO.
shoulda stayed in Indy League

MAVTV does have WRC recap shows on, I think they just finished the 2013 season. Also MAVTV is great for motorsports, just had the Chili Bowl from Tulsa, Oklahoma on live, the biggest race of the off season. This year some 300 cars were entered and its a 5 day show indoors on dirt.

Any other driver with Danicas sponsorship money would be champion

how is driving a car a sport. move this thread to the video game section

they'd at least win a race now and then.
or at least have consistent top ten finishes.

Back