The African music thread!

Rimbaud82

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Lets hear your favourite african stuff, whether it's hightime, afrobeat, afro-pop or whatever. I love african music, what little of it I have heard, so I'm hoping for some good suggestions in here :)

To get the ball rolling:

GHANA:

I feel like I've already posted
this at least twice before between
here & the P&M sub. But it's
absolutely worth the love. One of
my favorites. Wild composition

NIGERIA:

MALI:

GHANA:

I feel like I've already posted
this at least twice before between
here & the P&M sub. But it's
absolutely worth the love. One of
my favorites. Wild composition

NIGERIA:

MALI:

Already familiar with the first two tracks, and Fela of course, but the other two are new to me. Both are fire, really digging Peter King one.

Already familiar with the first two tracks, and Fela of course, but the other two are new to me. Both are fire, really digging Peter King one.

Going through the ones you posted
right now. The Osibisa is hard. The
cover art is dope too.

Yeah, that Peter King knocks your
dick in the dirt on the opening kick. lol

carlton-dancing-o.gif

This one is wicked dude

seen this listed as Nigerian, but i don't know:

saw some of his music listed above, but i'll add these from Ali Fakra Toure (Mali):

my mom had a tape with these two ali fakra toure songs on it that i heard a lot growing up so they're really nostalgic for me along with being great pieces. shame about ry cooder interjecting himself into more great music, but oh well.

also from Mali, Toumani Diabate (with a bonus The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly theme played on the kora at the end):

and of course, from Ethiopia, Yeshimet Dubale:

also from Ethiopia, Mahmoud Ahmed:

Botswana Heavy Metal band Skinflint

Fela Kuti is some good stuff but that's the only African music I know.

http://voodoofunk.blogspot.com/?m=1

Check out this guy's site. He spent a few years traveling around Africa collecting old vinyl. Some he rescued from destroyed buildings and such so much of what he's curated may have otherwise been lost. There's stories about his travels and where he obtained a lot of his collection. The menu on the right side has a bunch of different albums, mp3s and compilations that you can stream.

I actually haven't dug around on there in a few years but I have some cd's I've downloaded from the site that are great poolside listening. Think I'm going to start poking around on there again myself. Lots of great music.

One of my absolute favourite songs in any genre.

Back