"The achilles lock/staight ankle lock is just a pain submission"

Reilly Bodycomb would disagree with anyone who says it's just a pain sub. If you can find his demo, he shows pretty clearly how it's actually a true, bone breaking ankle lock.

I tapped to a straight ankle lock today in competition after my ankle popped, it's pretty swollen right now, so yeah, not a pain move

The Achillies / Strait ankle lock will break you up bad. If applied the proper way you can totally rip the guy up. Anybody else that says different is seriously misguided.

NoGi, Budovideos, somebody has to got to get Cavaca to make a foot lock dvd.

I've heard this achilles pain thing but I've never had someone put on a straight ankle lock that even made my achilles feel the least bit sore. It's always the tendons that run up the front of the ankle. And how the fuck do you break a bone with this technique unless you're actually just doing a shitty calf crusher or the guy has severely brittle bones?

Yes, the ankle lock works on more than just pain. All BJJ joint locks can break bones when used correctly.

You broke your friends leg? I hope you said sorry. People should tap when in foot locks, and you shouldn't be looking away when applying foot locks.

I said sorry & paid for his doctors bill. He should have made contact on me with the tap.
I always make it a point to touch my opponent & verbally tap now.

I've heard this achilles pain thing but I've never had someone put on a straight ankle lock that even made my achilles feel the least bit sore. It's always the tendons that run up the front of the ankle. And how the fuck do you break a bone with this technique unless you're actually just doing a shitty calf crusher or the guy has severely brittle bones?

They were not doing it properly then, or were not applying maximum leverage.
When you do it the right way something will pop.

It's not a pain submission, at first glance when I saw it on shows I was thinking "it just pinches the achilles". I learned it in class yesterday and my instructor was talking about how a buddy of his tore his ligaments...

If it's done right it can cause damage, but I know a lot of less experienced people apply it incorrectly and will just grab anywhere around the ankle (I've even seen people do it on the lower part of the calf) and just squeezing as hard as they can hoping to get the tap. This meathead variation is more or less purely a pain submission.
Do the ankle lock on
Me

As with every other joint lock, you don't break the bones witht he achilles lock. You tear the tendons and ligaments so that the bone dislocates from its joint.

Why do so many people think this? I've even heard that people were taught that the move was just a pain sub, & not capeable of injuring in traditional schools.

I know this from an unfortunate personal experience not to be true.

I happened to lock one on a friend of mine during rolling, I began to apply torque, & in doing so I was looking away, not aware that he was tapping the floor.
We then heard a very audible pop.

He says he went to the doctor & was told that he had a fractured tibia
he wore an ace ankle brace for a while... so the move is defintely not just a pain sub.

so tap!

skip to 1:49

hehehe the moral of your story is "so tap!" but your friend tapped...didnt he? didnt stop him from getting messed up ...ya jerk!

just razzing ya

When I first learned the straight ankle lock in some kind of pre BJJ kenpo, it was done with the blade of the forearm across the back of the calf. It was meant to hurt but no one thought they could do any damage with it, and they mostly couldn't.

That was a long time ago. I think people have gotten a lot better at the lock but some of the things people used to say about it have kinda hung on.

I'm pretty sure Rogan said on a recent ufc that calf slicers are only a pain tech. The general level of knowledge on lower body attacks is still lacking in a lot of bjj guys.

There are some people that seem to have really bendy feet and seem to be immune to ankle locks and toe holds tho, in my experience

Why do so many people think this? I've even heard that people were taught that the move was just a pain sub, & not capeable of injuring in traditional schools.

I know this from an unfortunate personal experience not to be true.

I happened to lock one on a friend of mine during rolling, I began to apply torque, & in doing so I was looking away, not aware that he was tapping the floor.
We then heard a very audible pop.

He says he went to the doctor & was told that he had a fractured tibia
he wore an ace ankle brace for a while... so the move is defintely not just a pain sub.

so tap!

skip to 1:49

Nice job dick

Back