"The achilles lock/staight ankle lock is just a pain submission"

Tylerlikesmma

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Why do so many people think this? I've even heard that people were taught that the move was just a pain sub, & not capeable of injuring in traditional schools.

I know this from an unfortunate personal experience not to be true.

I happened to lock one on a friend of mine during rolling, I began to apply torque, & in doing so I was looking away, not aware that he was tapping the floor.
We then heard a very audible pop.

He says he went to the doctor & was told that he had a fractured tibia
he wore an ace ankle brace for a while... so the move is defintely not just a pain sub.

so tap!

skip to 1:49

Last edited:
Kurt Angle Ankle lock > The achilles lock/staight ankle lock

If it's done right it can cause damage, but I know a lot of less experienced people apply it incorrectly and will just grab anywhere around the ankle (I've even seen people do it on the lower part of the calf) and just squeezing as hard as they can hoping to get the tap. This meathead variation is more or less purely a pain submission.

The move can tear ligaments tendons and break the foot. It is a very very legit sub.

If it's done right it can cause damage, but I know a lot of less experienced people apply it incorrectly and will just grab anywhere around the ankle (I've even seen people do it on the lower part of the calf) and just squeezing as hard as they can hoping to get the tap. This meathead variation is more or less purely a pain submission.

I like to apply it with the figure four grip instead of using a guillotine like grip like some people do. I think it creates more force than the other way.

I always thought the opposite, more of a "fear of getting crippled" lock. It doesn't even really start to hurt until right before bones pop out of place.

Straight ankle lock is 'safer' than a side ankle lock.

I prefer the to use the boney blade of the wrist to dig into the Achilles tendon as well as hyper extending the foot.

Remember folks if you master the achilles crush/straight ankle lock you automatically become a heelhook badass. The set ups and leg positioning (the hard parts) are virtually identical.

I prefer the to use the boney blade of the wrist to dig into the Achilles tendon as well as hyper extending the foot.

Remember folks if you master the achilles crush/straight ankle lock you automatically become a heelhook badass. The set ups and leg positioning (the hard parts) are virtually identical.

we do this the same

Before I started training I remember watching a fight in Pride where Bas mentions that the ankle lock hurts and will leave a bruise but it does no real damage. So yeah I used to think that it was only a pain submission, as I was young and impressionable back then....

I like to slide the achilles tendon along the boney blade of my wrist up my forearm & tuck it into my elbow & grab my left forearm with my right hand & place my left hand on the shin bone & of course wrap my legs around the leg that is being attaked

Before I started training I remember watching a fight in Pride where Bas mentions that the ankle lock hurts and will leave a bruise but it does no real damage. So yeah I used to think that it was only a pain submission, as I was young and impressionable back then....

It's weird though, I know Bas knows his stuff

not true though

people who say that are just unaware of the finer points of the move, trying to crank it without space to go back, or giving him space to come forwards.

As far as actual danger goes, theres one variation where you take your opposite forearm under the ankle and figure four it, you can put alot of torque into it. attacking the leg crossed over also gives you a leverage (and positional) advantage over it strait.

I like to slide the achilles tendon along the boney blade of my wrist up my forearm & tuck it into my elbow & grab my left forearm with my right hand & place my left hand on the shin bone & of course wrap my legs around the leg that is being attaked

I've always found that the figure four grip makes it impossible to use the blade of the wrist on the tendon, as it rotates the hand leaving the top of the wrist to do the work. Its the reason I switched to the guillotine style grip.

Try doing it from the 50/50 with their knee bent. Its brutal. I don't do it during training because it comes on so quickly. Its fine to do in competitions because it still classifies as an achilles ankle lock.

Its what Cavaca was using to tap out many people like Cyborg Abreu amongst others.

I've always found that the figure four grip makes it impossible to use the blade of the wrist on the tendon, as it rotates the hand leaving the top of the wrist to do the work. Its the reason I switched to the guillotine style grip.

I agree with this. Figure 4 is more "old school", and it ends up more of a brute force submission. You can't use as much of the blade of your forearm, and the forearm goes further up his calf with the lock. It also, IMHO, makes it harder to turn your body relative to the leg, and you always want to turn and add a little rotational "love" to the foot lock.

Either guillotine or RNC is better, I think.

Try doing it from the 50/50 with their knee bent. Its brutal. I don't do it during training because it comes on so quickly. Its fine to do in competitions because it still classifies as an achilles ankle lock.

Its what Cavaca was using to tap out many people like Cyborg Abreu amongst others.

This is a great submission that I wish there was a good instructional on ... instead you kind of have to figure it out for yourself.

Yes, the ankle lock works on more than just pain. All BJJ joint locks can break bones when used correctly.

You broke your friends leg? I hope you said sorry. People should tap when in foot locks, and you shouldn't be looking away when applying foot locks.

Yes, the ankle lock works on more than just pain. All BJJ joint locks can break bones when used correctly.

You broke your friends leg? I hope you said sorry. People should tap when in foot locks, and you shouldn't be looking away when applying foot locks.

looking away does allow you to recruit more back muscles into the hold, though.

Back