The absolute worst feeling in BJJ is....

6 or 7 months?

LOL!

Start worrying when it's 6 or 7 years.

Just enjoy the not knowing a thing and absorb as much as you can.

R u connecting with the higher belts and building casual learning relationships?

That's where you'll find the accelerated learning curve, not obsessing about the people at your level.

It's hard to take anyone less than a couple of years in seriously cause there hasn't been a commitment established.

6 or 7 months.

LOL!

on the flip side one of the best feelings is people much better than you that stop training for awhile, come back and suddenly you are much better than them.

consistency is where its at.

Unless you're at my gym. We've had several people out for long extended periods of time and they come back and it's like they haven't missed a day.

We had this one 3 stripe blue who was with us for a while who was a goddamn beast and would just wreck me without breaking a sweat (I was a white belt at the time). He leaves for two years. He comes back and I remember watching his first roll with a seasoned blue who is evenly matched with me. I was like yeah bitch this is what happens when you take two years off. He proceeds to just dismantle the other blue in about 30 seconds. It was really demoralizing.

I feel like I take two weeks off and it takes a month just to get back to where I was cardio wise.

Its not enough to just turn up and go to class. I've seen your type....you come to every class thinking you will be good when really youre not putting in the effort to get good and yeah that involves drilling/sparring hard as well as being strong and fit. simply turning up to class is not enough.

Hey maybe your right. I'm not going to argue with you..sometimes I do go to class and I'm tired and my body feels burned out and I just do it in those rare cases just so I don't skip my daily workout.

But most days I'm super hyped up and try really hard.

6 or 7 months?

LOL!

Start worrying when it's 6 or 7 years.

Just enjoy the not knowing a thing and absorb as much as you can.

R u connecting with the higher belts and building casual learning relationships?

That's where you'll find the accelerated learning curve, not obsessing about the people at your level.

It's hard to take anyone less than a couple of years in seriously cause there hasn't been a commitment established.

6 or 7 months.

LOL!

Well to be fair I WAS comparing myself to people that started same time as me...

Your quote there got me thinking - I'm going to ASK YOU FOR ADVICE here! I do that when rolling with a truly massive size and experience discrepancy (I'm a 215 pound purple belt), to make it more challenging for both of us and give him the chance to attack. I assumed people liked that better but I wonder though if people would rather I just start in guard. What do you think - in that situation maybe practice blocking the guard pass and not attacking until awhile into the roll, but not start in a disadvantaged position - I don't want to demoralize anyone?

Yes, that could definitely be it. Sleep 8 hours a night. You'll enjoy BJJ and the rest of life more. I think that if you're only sleeping 5 hours per night so you can train more, you might be better off skipping that extra training in the evening and just do your lunch workout (which sounds very time efficient for you) given that you don't feel you are progressing, and just sleeping 8 hours. MAYBE even cut the training back to like 3-4 times per week, you sound kinda overtrained.

But some people will always progress faster than others. There are a couple guys in my gym who have progressed insanely fast and it's kinda annoying TBH but you gotta respect them for it. Every situation is different.

Hey.

To answer your question... I've had much bigger or higher belt guys tell me right before rolling that if I mind if they practice thier XXX whatever (i.e "hey I'm gonna practice mostly retaining my guard/ escaping side control/etc) and that was pretty cool. Doing it halfway through a roll unannounced kind of demoralizes the guy your with in that it makes it seem they started out serious, realized you suck, and just let you do whatever you wanted.

Well to be fair I WAS comparing myself to people that started same time as me...

That's your problem right there. You are still struggling with your ego. People are going to progress at diffferent rates. There are going to be people that come in and in two weeks they'll be able to tap you out. If you expend all this energy worrying about other people you're not going to make it to blue or flame out quickly thereafter.

Just worry about your own progress and keep showing up to class.

Getting tapped by a girl that's smaller and has less strength than you.

There is a city I go once a year on vacation. In that city, is a huge BJJ gym I like to visit once or twice while I'm here. I love the place, the classes, the people, the chance of running into famous fighters and so on and on.

So I'm here, and I have one sprained foot and one broken foot from the same round of kick boxing, still hurt from three weeks ago.

I even brought my workout clothes, like I'm going to go train anyway.

Knowing exactly what you need to do, but being too physically exhausted to execute. Really makes me feel like a fat piece of shit.

Knowing exactly what you need to do, but being too physically exhausted to execute. Really makes me feel like a fat piece of shit.

Oh I know those feels. It is horrible. I used to be there for a really long time. Had breaks for injury, kid being born, work etc etc. I was always building my cardio up and then something would happen and I'd have to start all over again. Now I've been able to be consistent for the past year and a half and my cardio is really good now. Even as a bigger guy I can hang with the manlets with huge tanks. It's such a good feeling.

Oh I know those feels. It is horrible. I used to be there for a really long time. Had breaks for injury, kid being born, work etc etc. I was always building my cardio up and then something would happen and I'd have to start all over again. Now I've been able to be consistent for the past year and a half and my cardio is really good now. Even as a bigger guy I can hang with the manlets with huge tanks. It's such a good feeling.

Funny you guys bring up cardio.

I never realize show much bjj improved my cardio until yesterday. I have a beach here i would always go to get to it it's a steep cliff hike down and up that would always make me stop and rest 5 or 6 times.

Yesterday I went back after months and didn't stop once or even breath hard. It was an awesome feeling

Being able to make that walk/hike easily is more important than any progress you think you aren't making in bjj. Training a little longer to learn something won't kill you. Being unhealthy will.

Well things have been getting from bad to worse.

I'm losing to everyone now. Brown belts, blue belts , white belts at my level, white belts barely a couple of months in. Basically every day I get submitted 3 or 4 times and haven't subbed anyone in weeks.

I'm not sure why I'm doing so much worse than literally everyone. I often feel weak and people generally have zero respect for me and give me positions so they can escape out of it etc. It's so demoralizing.

Thinking of hitting the gym and putting on muscle. Maybe running too. Just not sure when I'll have the time on top of my daily BJJ training and full time job and family
You are going to quit sometime this year, unless you figure out a way to moderate your emotions. Highs and lows are good, the highs feel great and the lows motivate you to seek out ways to improve. But you don't want it to be so extreme that you feel demoralized.

Back