"The ________ One" WTF is that all about?

MMA

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone else find it a little annoying when a fighter's nickname is __________ and people call him "the _______ one?"

For example, right now there's a banner on my screen calling Askren "the funky one."

It's just "funky." Right?

Goldy used to do this shit all the time. It's not "the ruthless one," or "the notorious one." It's "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler. It's Conor "Notorious" McGregor or maybe "the notorious" Conor McGregor. Why do people insist on putting this weird "one" in there?

Kind of a triviality, I know, but I just wanted to see if anyone else notices this and thinks it's dumb like I do. I will say, I think all the nicknames are dumb to begin with lol

This thread bites the big one.

Because this "sport" is based off of memorable personalities, rather than team loyalty or a 100+ year history.

Like Street Fighter

"The CroCop One"
"The The Answer One"

I hate that shit

Last edited:
At any rate, here's a shred of ONE

The Last Emperor one.

What a weird thing to complain about. I think it sounds cool, definitely don't mind it... Are you this picky about blow jobs too or is it just fighters' nicknames?

What a weird thing to complain about. I think it sounds cool, definitely don't mind it... Are you this picky about blow jobs too or is it just fighters' nicknames?
Odd question. Are you interested in blowing me??

Eh, it's just a little bit of change-up for the sake of variety, like hitting the thesaurus and finding a synonym for a word you don't want to be repeating umpteen times in a paragraph. It's not too far removed from the impulse that makes people come up with nicknames in the first place...which is probably why you find them "dumb to begin with". But you're not going to stop humans playing around with words for novelty's sake — and you'd be eliminating 98% of all slang if you did.

I did it first. All those other The_____ones are just imitators. Pardon the reference.

You suggest that this is just a minor grievance, but I actually think this is a greater debacle than the establishment of a credible fighter's union.

Back