The 90s was Depressing

90s were the end of a lot of things.

video rental stores
arcades
MTV
record stores
last golden era of live music
last golden era of malls

If I could take any 10 year period from those 2 decades it would be 1984-1994.

There were never any good old days,
They are today, they are tomorrow
It's a stupid thing we say,
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow

But for real though, I was a 90s kid, and I have plenty of good memories of the time, but nostalgia is fucking cancer.

The 90s was great

• BOOMING economy
  • Rap music didn't suck yet
  • ZERO deficit
  • America didn't act like a bunch of scared wimps at the airport

Not in my book, broseph.

90s Europe was epic. Cold War over, EU starts to take off, relaxing on a hot beach with hot Euro girls and eurodance, relaxing in a hut in the alps with hot Euro girls and Eurodance (after ski). You can still do it but I think it was better back then.

The most important thing about the 90s is that the Internet and technology had not yet taken over the world.

Just for that reason, I'd go back if I could.

But you going to miss Sherdog though. Without the internet there is no Sherdog and other cool sites.

Every decade was depressing in its own way, I should know as I've lived through 4 of them so far.

People are more depressed now than any preceding decade since maybe the 30's. This time it's not just 90's dark pessimism but full-on mental / nervous disorders.

People are actually burnt out now, a physiological junkyard, and yet we have to pretend it's all greater than ever just because we have so much internet. The contrast between our fake optimism and reality is obscenely schizophrenic.

This new batch of society thought they could just smile and plod their way through rough patches (as they waited and trusted "humanity" for things to get better), but are finding out en masse that leaving your head in the sand causes suffocation.

All the whistling, "ooooh'ing' xylophone, ukelele manufactured indie folk songs in the majority of TV ads isn't doing the job they were hoping it would. The new mindset of this decade isn't analyzing or even addressing actual societal problems-- it's naively refusing to acknowledge them as they alternately rereoute their attention to "solving" the most superficial matters (eg, what genders everyone and thing should be called and which bathrooms they should get, who should be allowed to say what) in tribute to their spirit-animal

Last edited:
The most important thing about the 90s is that the Internet and technology had not yet taken over the world.

Just for that reason, I'd go back if I could.

Would you really give up the ability to watch any B movie of your choice at the click of a button?

Would you really give up the ability to watch any B movie of your choice at the click of a button?

Ha. You know, I'd at least be willing to give it a shot. Having to pay $4 a pop to rent a movie from Blockbuster's shitty selection WOULD kind of suck though.

Hardly depressing. I mean, I didn't really like high school much but is was carefree drugs and sex. Lot less stress being a teenager then. Went to a lot of great concerts and didn't have to worry about paying bills.

Music in the early to mid 90s was consistently the 2nd best time of music imo in the modern age...the 80s had amazing material as well but in different patches of the 80s....the best time being the mid to late 60s.

Movies were amazing....some of the best ive seen came from the 90s....primarily early to mid as well.

The economy was good. The president was liked. People were not ultra sensitive pc bitches. I would take Nirvana, alice & chains and soundgarden over the trash we hear today. Music is art, and art doesnt always have to be happy rainbows and blue skies. The best movies & music ive ever seen or heard were always dark....they had soul and character.....nowadays shit is dull as fck, repedative and lacks any sort of originality.

I dont believe you lived through the 90s.....what pod did you emerge from shapeshifter? The 90s were the last best decade.....these last couple have been forgettable at best....will be remembered for social media.....woo hoo.

90s is the last great decade indeed during the late 90s up to the early 2000s I shit on the 90s a lot as I think it is way inferior to the 80s but as the years pass by and 2011 went bye and now this decade is almost over I realized the past 18 years have not shown any big breakthrus or originiakty in terms of culture and its like people just doubled down on their stupudity.

Fashion statements have stagnate Music in general is lame or just a rehash of the 80s. And everything feels expendable.

We are probably in need of a new cultural revolution.

If I could take any 10 year period from those 2 decades it would be 1984-1994.

Are you a fan of Metal or hard rock or any its of shoot?.

Your post made think of these.

images

images

Yeah, those that suggest otherwise just didn't experience the 80's.

Just look at the cultural comparisons,

80's
Action film peak
Rap,
New romantic,
Metal,
Michael Jackson

90's
Reinvention of already established genres in cult films.
Boy and girl bands,
Dance music,
Grunge.

The decade of your youth (15-25) will always be special to you.

Back