The 3 fights I wanted to see involved Sakuraba

Kinosis

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have recently been watching through all of the Pride events in order, and I forgot how good Sakuraba was in his prime. He was fast, slick submissions, fit, great takedowns, etc. After Sakuraba's match at Pride 6, Frank Shamrock came into the ring and challenged him, but that never happened. Got me thinking, the matches I always wanted to see from that era are:

Sakuraba vs Frank Shamrock
Sakuraba vs Rickson Gracie
Sakuraba vs Matt Hughes

These matches couldn't really happen with everyone in their primes at the same time, as Rickson is 10 years older than Saku, but with Frank Shamrock and Matt Hughes, there is only a 4-5 year difference so it's much closer. Anyway, in a world where Saku can fight these 3 guys, and everyone is at their peak, who wins?

RIckson is the big one for me.

Sakuraba fought crocop right?

Kazushi Sakuraba vs Sammy Schilt would have been a more winnable fight if he matched against kickboxers.

Sakuraba fought crocop right?

Kazushi Sakuraba vs Sammy Schilt would have been a more winnable fight if he matched against kickboxers.

Yup, I haven't watched that fight in forever, but I will be getting to it eventually as I watch the events. Saku even got him down I believe.

I think Frank would have overpowered him, but there's a chance Saku could catch him in a sub. Hughes was strong as an ox, but Saku might have been too big for him and he's definitely slicker on the ground. I like Saku by sub in that one. And I think Rickson would have given The Gracie Hunter his toughest test out of anyone in his family, but Saku would take it in the end.

They should set up saku vs. Hughes on the chuck vs. Tito card

They should set up saku vs. Hughes on the chuck vs. Tito card

Last time I saw Hughes he could barely walk, because of the car wreck. I don't think he will ever fight again.

They did do the Saku vs Frank Shamrock grappling match in Rizin, but it sucked because they didn't even go to the ground. I don't think Frank has any knees left at this point.

Yup, I haven't watched that fight in forever, but I will be getting to it eventually as I watch the events. Saku even got him down I believe.

Watch that fight again.

Love Saku to the death, but they paid CC not to rip his head off like he did Minowa.

Not one legit headkick, intentionally missing when he threw it once or twice to get some oohs and ahs from the crowd. Remember, these were the days when they were paying people not to slaughter Takada out there etc.

Pride is legit as phuck but you gotta laugh when you watch fights like Saku vs CC.

RIckson is the big one for me.

Ditto.

Was training with Rorion & Royce back in those days, and both guys said Rickson was at a whole other level.

Sakuraba was a fucking maniac though. Some of the craziest, acrobatic moves and subs I have ever seen.

I think Frank would have overpowered him, but there's a chance Saku could catch him in a sub. Hughes was strong as an ox, but Saku might have been too big for him and he's definitely slicker on the ground. I like Saku by sub in that one. And I think Rickson would have given The Gracie Hunter his toughest test out of anyone in his family, but Saku would take it in the end.

Hughes' strength woulda compensated for the size differential. It's not like Saku was ever a super athlete as technical and ballsy as he was.

Saku's game works will on people with poop takedowns and good BJJ. I don't think he would have fared well against Hughes, personally. The man always had a great submission game and his wrestling was always good. If they matched up in the old days especially it would have been a good fight but I think Hughes takes it. And Saku's one of my favorites- moreso than Matt Farmaconda Country Breakfast Hughes.

Ditto.

Was training with Rorion & Royce back in those days, and both guys said Rickson was at a whole other level.

Sakuraba was a fucking maniac though. Some of the craziest, acrobatic moves and subs I have ever seen.

It was the logical, conclusive matchup to the whole Saku vs Gracie saga that never happened.

Too bad Rockson had to go missing/die like that. Rickson kinda just said "Who gives a f*ck about fighting again.

It was the logical, conclusive matchup to the whole Saku vs Gracie saga that never happened.

Too bad Rockson had to go missing/die like that. Rickson kinda just said "Who gives a f*ck about fighting again.

Yeah, he was never the same after that. It devastated him.

Watch that fight again.

Love Saku to the death, but they paid CC not to rip his head off like he did Minowa.

Not one legit headkick, intentionally missing when he threw it once or twice to get some oohs and ahs from the crowd. Remember, these were the days when they were paying people not to slaughter Takada out there etc.

Pride is legit as phuck but you gotta laugh when you watch fights like Saku vs CC.

Just because a guy did better than people think he would against someone doesn't mean anyone was paid off. I'll watch it again eventually though, I'm watching Pride 7 today.

Yeah, he was never the same after that. It devastated him.

Yeah it sucks. Rickson was past his prime anyway. Rickson was something like 42 years old when he beat Funaki in 2000. But Royce always said Rickson destroyed him in training, and training with Rickson was what made the first few ufc events seem easy as compared to fighting his brother.

Just because a guy did better than people think he would against someone doesn't mean anyone was paid off. I'll watch it again eventually though, I'm watching Pride 7 today.
Don't kid yourself.

If you've ever even sparred you'd know what you're looking it.

He carried Saku. I'm not saying Saku knew but they prolly gave him mad cash not to blast his head.

Rickson wanted no part of Sakuraba even before the whole Rockson mess. Supposedly Saku was too small, lacked warrior spirit. lol

200.gif

I wish he would have fought Shina Aoiki in his prime. I know they fought last year, but let’s be honest....that was rather unfair.

Back