The 2017 Heavies Awards - Story of the Year - Winner: Jon Jones does what Jon Jones does

What is your 2017 Story of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's not even accounting for the streaming issues. It would've had millions more watching.
Yes

accounting for the amount of subscribers who lost their PPV stream & were given refunds... which would've easily made this THE BIGGEST combat sports event in history.

Even with such glitches... it's still within 100k of the biggest.... & we all know the truth. It's the biggest, bar none.

Right now in this thread... we're simply talking about 2017's biggest story... & it ain't even close. It's so far from close that you could sell 6 of Jones' returns & still not equal the amount of interest that the public bought. 6 fooking timez bro. That's not even in the same discussion.

Mac/May waz EASILY by far the winner of this.

Yes

& also not accounting for the amount of subscribers who lost their PPV stream & were given refunds... which would've easily made this THE BIGGEST combat sports event in history.

Even with such glitches... it's still within 100k of the biggest.... & we all know the truth. It's the biggest, bar none.

Right now in this thread... we're simply talking about 2017's biggest story... & it ain't even close. It's so far from close that you could sell 6 of Jones' returns & still not equal the amount of interest that the public bought. 6 fooking timez bro. That's not even in the same discussion.

Mac/May waz EASILY by far the winner of this.

Well Globally, it is the biggest, period. You have to cherry pick countries and things to dispute that fact, but the world record is what matters most and Conor is now the holder.

As for stories in 2017, Conor taking paternity leave is bigger than anything anyone else has done, much less Maymac. Can't believe anyone would try to dispute this! Conor's been the biggest story in MMA for years now.

Well Globally, it is the biggest, period. You have to cherry pick countries and things to dispute that fact, but the world record is what matters most and Conor is now the holder.

As for stories in 2017, Conor taking paternity leave is bigger than anything anyone else has done, much less Maymac. Can't believe anyone would try to dispute this! Conor's been the biggest story in MMA for years now.
Conor's been right up there with the biggest story's since he entered the octogon. I'll give the first 2 years a chance for something bigger... but 2015 is only disputed by Rousey/Holm... & 2016 is a wash... much less even putting 2017 into the conversation.

Hate to say it but it's Conor & Floyd.

People are voting Jones out of spite for Conor. Or better yet, spite for his fans.

The fight was over months ago and there's still a sub-section of this forum just for it.

Would like to nominate Werdoomerang for second place.

Conor's been right up there with the biggest story's since he entered the octogon. I'll give the first 2 years a chance for something bigger... but 2015 is only disputed by Rousey/Holm... & 2016 is a wash... much less even putting 2017 into the conversation.

The King has spoken, and thus it shall be.

Conor vs Floyd obviously, nothing even comes close. Cheers ya bums!

giphy.gif

People are voting Jones out of spite for Conor. Or better yet, spite for his fans.

That's a retarded assumption. Give people some credit. The Floyd/Conor fight was just a big money fight, that wasn't even that interesting to some of us. Most knew the outcome beforehand. Conor was just there to pick up a check, good for him, but why should we care? What meaning was there in any of that, except to make money?

Now a GOAT fighter who keeps fucking up, first in his personal life, then gets busted for PEDs, comes back after his suspension and takes the belt back and gets busted again... Now that's a story.

MMA related it’s all GSP.Jones is a story that has been told before.

That's a retarded assumption. Give people some credit. The Floyd/Conor fight was just a big money fight, that wasn't even that interesting to some of us. Most knew the outcome beforehand. Conor was just there to pick up a check, good for him, but why should we care? What meaning was there in any of that, except to make money?

Now a GOAT fighter who keeps fucking up, first in his personal life, then gets busted for PEDs, comes back after his suspension and takes the belt back and gets busted again... Now that's a story.

Hard to give credit on Sherdog but ok, not all people, but some people will vote out of spite.

And Jones story was a do over. He had already fucked up, already beat DC, already been suspended. Was expected.

Gegard was mentioned in the piece about BMMA getting that HW tournament underway but he's not in it.
Elite middleweight Gegard Mousasi finished out his last 8 fight UFC contract to the tune of 7-1 and put a stamp on it by mollywhopping elite wrestler /grappler and former UFC champ, Chris Weidman.

UFC didn't want to pay an "in his dead prime "Gegard Mousasi.....

#headscratcherSMH

Hard to give credit on Sherdog but ok, not all people, but some people will vote out of spite.

And Jones story was a do over. He had already fucked up, already beat DC, already been suspended. Was expected.

The guy was stripped for the third time basically (if you count the interim title).Yeah, it was a do over, that's what makes it so baffling. I don't think most of us actually expected him to be so stupid that he would actually fuck up for the third time like that. And while many might have predicted that he would win against DC again, I don't think most expected DC to get stopped like that.

Obviously Floyd vs Conor was the biggest story of the year but since it's your story of the year I gotta go with GSP's comeback.

Don't know how anyone could choose anything except a MASSIVE event like Mcgregor vs Mayweather unless you hate Mcgregor so much you can't see straight. I mean it's obviously the biggest story of the year it's not even a contest. Jones beating someone he already beat is leading? ...Yeah out of nowhere that he could win again, what a story.

Jones beating someone he already beat is leading? ...Yeah out of nowhere that he could win again, what a story.

Yeah, just keep ignoring about 80% of that story to twist things to suit your agenda.

I could just as easily say "A 0-0 boxer McGregor losing to one of the greatest boxers ever? ...Not predictable at all, what a story.".

In terms of athletic and martial accomplishments, GSP is clearly the best story so I voted for him. It's impossible to deny that Conor vs Floyd was the most covered event, or that Jones's failed test had more implications.

Jones' story was nuts, I voted for that

Jones via ruining his legacy and fucking up the LHW division for years to come.

Objectively the only answer is Conor lol. It was huge mainstream news. The rest of this wasn't barely a blip.

Conor, GSP, and Jones for me were the finalists. Big stories have to be about big stars.

I voted Jones. Easily one of the best ever and was cementing his legacy. And he threw it all away.

Back