Discussion in 'Archives' started by jei, Jan 15, 2018.
Max Holloway totally.
Another vote for Whittaker here.
2 very tough guys back to back.
They all had amazing years... Went with the dark horse.. Volkan. Guy destroyed ranked fighters to get a title shot in 2018.
But he was taken down multiple times. Why do people keep saying he stuffed ALL his takedowns?
Holloway get my vote.
Horiguchi should be on the honorable mention list IMO. I personally have him way ahead of Rose, Volkan, and Felder
I agree completely, and I'll remedy that. He might not have beaten the top of top fighters, but he did beat five fighters this year.
There we are.
Where my Conor, he schooled Maywedda for 4 round, he's my man.
No Conor? He went toe to toe with Mayweather for 10 rounds AND did not lose a single MMA fight all year! I kid, I kid.
I don't want to take anything away from knocking out the FW GOAT twice in one year but for me I have to go with Robert Whittaker. I thought Souza would murder him...nope. Romero for sure was going to murder him...nope. The guy just keeps surprising me and winning big fights.
I got Whittaker... Those were 2 enormous and unexpected wins.
whittaker gets my vote because he defeated jacare and yoel.
Because when you are fighting a world class wrestler and stuff more than you are taken down its impressive and as time goes on people begin to use hyperbole and remember certain details of fights. Sure, he didn't literally stuff every single takedown but on that night his defensive wrestling was better than Yoel's offensive wrestling which is astounding. Plus he did it on a bum knee.
This is a tough choice. Jesus...
Rose or Whittaker........ Why do I have to choose????
love rob but went w holloway...beating aldo 2x is impressive
Jacaré and Romero to win the belt.
Can't top that.
As many have said already, beating jacare and Romero back to back is impressive.
Whittaker for me.
1. Volkan - Comet career of the year. First UFC fight in February 2017. God damn, he OSP, Cirkunov and Manuwa in 6 months
2. Whittaker - Jacare and Romero is about as close to it gets as two solid wins
4. TJ - just 1 fight but it was the best grudge match of the year. Fought against his entire former team. Bonus points for being serious about challenging Mighty Mouse.
5. Rose - upset of the year. NO ONE thought she would finish Joanna, who was looking pretty dominant. Also a neat moral victory. Watterson is also a decent win.
6. I hate to say it, but Woodley is one of the most active champs and completely nullified the game of the top contenders Maia and Wonderboy.
8. MM has had a great career, but I don't think this year was anything exceptional just cause he hit the record title defenses. (That's not an accomplishment of this year in particular that's been built up) One of the best subs of the year though
Separate names with a comma.