The 2000's Memories Thread

Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_2_cover.png

The 60s—Free Love, Hippies, The Beatles, Woodstock

The 70s—Huge bands like Led Zep, birth of metal and disco, party decade.

The 80s—Amazing music in Rock, Metal, pop, Synth, birth of Hip Hop. Decade of excess, fashion was fun and bright.

The 90s—Great music but mood changed to darker. Great hip hop, metal, rock, edm. Fashion went anti 80s with jeans flannels boots. Tarantino made cool flicks.

2000s—Started in late 90s but rock started to become shit with nu metal and pop punk. Fashion sucked with kids dressing like hot topic idiots or wanna be Eminem’s with gay baggy pants and too big t shirts. Urban culture took over and the styles language and music reflected that. Every pop song had a rapper in it. TV got very good though, and horror movies made a comeback. Overall a terrible decade to be in high school compared to past ones.

Was pretty drunk for most of it. So not much.

The 60s—Free Love, Hippies, The Beatles, Woodstock

The 70s—Huge bands like Led Zep, birth of metal and disco, party decade.

The 80s—Amazing music in Rock, Metal, pop, Synth, birth of Hip Hop. Decade of excess, fashion was fun and bright.

The 90s—Great music but mood changed to darker. Great hip hop, metal, rock, edm. Fashion went anti 80s with jeans flannels boots. Tarantino made cool flicks.

2000s—Started in late 90s but rock started to become shit with nu metal and pop punk. Fashion sucked with kids dressing like hot topic idiots or wanna be Eminem’s with gay baggy pants and too big t shirts. Urban culture took over and the styles language and music reflected that. Every pop song had a rapper in it. TV got very good though, and horror movies made a comeback. Overall a terrible decade to be in high school compared to past ones.

Solid analysis.

MySpace hoes.

Man, THAT was the golden age of social media networks.

So, I had completely forgot about this show and then remembered it today. Another entertaining show that came out of the first decade of this century was Crank Yankers on Comedy Central...

Last edited:
The smart phone, wireless internet, GPS, LED TV's, and digital cameras easily.

Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy that the early 2000's was damn near 20 years ago?

A 2000s memorial thread? Jesus dude, that was only...18 years ago. Fuuuuuuck me.

The 2000s is, for me, largely defined by a video games renaissance. So many successful franchises either launched, came back into focus, or hit their stride during that period. GTA, Halo, Half-Life, Mass Effect, Counter Strike, Guitar Hero, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Far Cry, BioShock, Civilization, Total War, Deus Ex, Fallout, Uncharted, God of War, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Gran Turismo, Forza, etc. I'd say the decade spanning about 1998-2007 probably put out the best group of games ever made.

Developers really had everything figured out by this point. Full 3D was no longer a new concept and there was a full generation of experimenting with what worked and what didn't under their belts. This meant creativity and storytelling really came to the front. And it was also before broadband and GB of cheap storage had really become standard in the console market so the plague that would become DLC hadn't really caught on yet for most of the period.

Last edited:
A 2000s memorial thread? Jesus dude, that was only...18 years ago. Fuuuuuuck me.

The 2000s is, for me, largely defined by a video games renaissance. So many successful franchises either launched, came back into focus, or hit their stride during that period. GTA, Halo, Half-Life, Mass Effect, Counter Strike, Guitar Hero, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Far Cry, BioShock, Civilization, Total War, Deus Ex, Fallout, Uncharted, God of War, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Gran Turismo, Forza, etc. I'd say the decade spanning about 1998-2007 probably put out the best group of games ever made.

Developers really had everything figured out by this point. Full 3D was no longer a new concept and there was a full generation of experimenting with what worked and what didn't under their belts. This meant creativity and storytelling really came to the front. And it was also before broadband and GB of cheap storage had really become standard in the console market so the plague that would become DLC hadn't really caught on yet for most of the period.

I was partial to the Age of Empires franchise. I really enjoyed those games.

Aoeiii-cover.jpg

We have done the 80's and the 90's. What is memorable about the early 2000's (2000-2010)?

One thing that stands out for me is the show "Fear" on MTV. It was a reality show in which a group of college-age kids were assigned to complete tasks at a haunted site for cash prizes. I found it pretty entertaining back in the day, and a friend of mine and I auditioned for the second season. Neither of us got picked.

Wonder what happened to him?

Wonder what happened to him?

Absolutely loved MySpace. The original social media network. I was pissed when it collapsed. Last time I heard Tom in the news, he was endorsing Google + when it was first launched. Google must have paid him. Google + fell way short of the mark though. You couldn't navigate and jump around in Google + as easily as you can Facebook. They should have beta tested Google + for much longer.

I was partial to the Age of Empires franchise. I really enjoyed those games.

Aoeiii-cover.jpg

Love that franchise. Completely dropped the ball on it for god know who long now but apparently Age of Empires 4 is coming out this year. I'm really hoping it resembles the original series but with updated graphics and AI.

I'd say the decade spanning about 1998-2007 probably put out the best group of games ever made.

Ah memorable times....John Carmack and ID, Fatal1ty, Valve source hack..etc. So much cool development in the FPS genre in those years. Every engine that came out felt like a huge leap forward.

Love that franchise. Completely dropped the ball on it for god know who long now but apparently Age of Empires 4 is coming out this year. I'm really hoping it resembles the original series but with updated graphics and AI.

Didn't know that. I will probably buy it. The original is still my favorite, and I still play it from time to time.

Back