The 2 Biggest Detriments to African Americans: Integration and Immigration

Completely false.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/l...o-outfit-rebrands-itself-as-unidosus.3575137/

Mexicans are very open about integrating with the majority.

Thats nice but when you travel through out America you don't see Mexicans trying to integrate with white society. You see Mexicans forming their own communities, using their own language, promoting their own industry, their own customs, and they are prospering as a result. America is starting to bend and accommodate them...not the other way around.

And you still haven't addressed the measurable results of 50-60yrs of integration. Again, watch the 2 min video and tell me where I'm wrong.

Completely false.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/l...o-outfit-rebrands-itself-as-unidosus.3575137/

Mexicans are very open about integrating with the majority.

So all these people in my city who have been here for years - some even for decades - yet can't speak a lick of English are very open about integrating?

And the millions who broke the law to illegally come here instead of going thru the legal process are open to integrating ?

What kind of integration is that?

It does...it just happens to be completely dysfunctional. Over the past 60yrs we have based our culture on being the opposite of white people. So things like family, education, entrepreneurship, ect are not highly prevalent within our "culture".

Thanks.

What traits would you define it by (aside from lack of the things you mentioned)? Legit curious.

Thanks.

What traits would you define it by (aside from lack of the things you mentioned)? Legit curious.

I mean I could go on forever describing the different traits of Black American culture. But I can some it up in two words...total dysfunction.

Thats nice but when you travel through out America you don't see Mexicans trying to integrate with white society. You see Mexicans forming their own communities, using their own language, promoting their own industry, their own customs, and they are prospering as a result. America is starting to bend and accommodate them...not the other way around.

That's not my experience growing up in Colorado and return visits. Come to think of it, my nephew is half Mexican-American. I guess he's a vanilla bean. :D

And you still haven't addressed the measurable results of 50-60yrs of integration. Again, watch the 2 min video and tell me where I'm wrong.

There is an entire discussion about it in the thread i linked.

There is an entire discussion about it in the thread i linked.

Does that thread address the black experience of integration and the results from it? Does it address the points in that 2 min video I keep asking you to watch?

That's not my experience growing up in Colorado and return visits. Come to think of it, my nephew is half Mexican-American. I guess he's a vanilla bean. :D

Interesting. Because that is my exact experience during my time in Colorado. My time has been more recent however. If you are referencing when you grew up I would reckon that some things have change with the influx of Hispanics into this country since then.

I mean I could go on forever describing the different traits of Black American culture. But I can some it up in two words...total dysfunction.

How about a top ten most prevalent and defining? I promise no argument is forthcoming. :)

Interesting. Because that is my exact experience during my time in Colorado. My time has been more recent however. If you are referencing when you grew up I would reckon that some things have change with the influx of Hispanics into this country since then.

There was more Mexicans the more South, but that always made sense geographically. At least where I'm from there wasn't a Mexican part of town. People just lived where they could afford.

There was more Mexicans the more South, but that always made sense geographically. At least where I'm from there wasn't a Mexican part of town. People just lived where they could afford.

Well my experience in Colorado was Denver, Colorado Springs, and a little bit of Pueblo...so yeah southern Colorado. And trust me...Mexicans are doing their mf'in thing out there. This has also been my experience in California as well. During my time in Chicago I saw all kinds of groups doing this as well and prospering. During my time throughout small town midwest I watched Whites do this.

Guess what I have never seen through out all of my travels? Black people prospering.

1) Integration does not prevent African Americans from pooling their resources or building their own power structures. People mistake the segregation era outcomes with something sustainable absent forced segregation.

Let's not forget something pretty fucking basic - even during segregation when black people had no choices but each other...we were still the bottom of the economic ladder. Segregation did not create black wealth. The institutional side of the economy prevented it.

And we're not the only group that attempts to work through the existing power structure, every minority group does it. The difference in outcomes is far more complex than that.

2) Immigration doesn't hurt black America. If anything, it helps. Black America is laboring under the mental weight that is part and parcel of the slavery legacy. No other immigrant group, including African immigrants, deals with that.

More immigration means more people for whom the distinctly American black-white relationship is an unknown dynamic. American history is centered around that dynamic from 3/5ths of a person to the Civil War to Jim Crow to the Civil Rights Era. Americans drink that in with their mother's milk. Immigrants don't. For immigrants, that is an American thing. Immigrants might harbor similar stereotypes but not as part of their national identity and so they are more free to view black Americans as individuals and not part of the larger cultural and sociological transitions that Americans do.

Aggregation:

Speaking on this subject always pisses me off. Because it's what is driving a large percentage of what successful African Americans are already doing but, somehow, people keep saying it needs to happen. This wholesale ignorance of what the rest of black community is doing is what is the biggest issue in my opinion.

Everyone isn't out there protesting. Yet when we see people protesting - it's always the same ignorant shit: "Why aren't they doing something more productive?"

Better fucking question? "Why can't there be both?" Protesting perceived injustice and proactive investment into the community.

Let me get anecdotal for a moment.

1) I literally spent an entire year opening Non-Profits for people who wanted to give back to their community. These people's effort aggregate across their communities to improve black America but because they're not on TV, other black people pretend they don't exist.

2) I hang out with a group of extremely successful black business people in my city. Part of what they do is network with each other and create opportunity for other black people (the same thing that everyone else does). But because they don't run around demanding credit for it, other black people pretend they don't exist.

If I ask someone about BLM, I'll get a lengthy screed for or against. But if I ask about the local foundations, charities, etc. I'll get blank looks.

If black people want to really help black people, they need to start paying attention to all of the good in their own communities instead of constantly fixating on and repeating the negative. You write your own narrative. If you keep talking about black people cheating welfare or not doing well in school then that's the narrative you've chosen for them. If you talk about the kids getting into good colleges, starting their own businesses and generally being successful then that's the narrative you've chosen for your community.

The more time black people spend caught up in discussing the ne'er-do-wells as if we're the only people who have them, the more we're reinforcing that negative perception of ourselves.

F' that. In real life - don't tell me about crime stats. That shit doesn't help anyone. Tell me about positive shit or leave me the fuck alone. I'm not raising my kid by telling him about how many things I fucked up. I raise him by telling him how many great things I've done and he can do. The black community needs to apply the same approach instead of getting sucked into constantly repeating negativity.

Does that thread address the black experience of integration and the results from it? Does it address the points in that 2 min video I keep asking you to watch?

I did watched it, the video doesnt addresses causes, just merely correlation.

Well my experience in Colorado was Denver, Colorado Springs, and a little bit of Pueblo...so yeah southern Colorado. And trust me...Mexicans are doing their mf'in thing out there. This has also been my experience in California as well. During my time in Chicago I saw all kinds of groups doing this as well and prospering. During my time throughout small town midwest I watched Whites do this.

Guess what I have never seen through out all of my travels? Black people prospering.

I was gonna make a Pueblo joke. Never been there myself. Denver was as far as I ever needed to go. Well, Larkspur for the Ren-fairs. :)

Yeah, I'm trying to think of a prosperous black area somewhere. Not having any luck. Must be a fine line though with aggregation and segregation, as evidenced by the economic shitholes Indian reservations are reputed to be.

Speak for yourself. I see it all of the time. If you're not spending time with black people committed to helping other black people succeed then you have 2 choices.

1) Become that black person preaching the "each one, teach one" philosophy.
2) Change your social group until you find black people who live by the philosophy.

I don't know you but you should ask yourself - how much of your time do you contribute? Not money, actual time. Are you a big brother? Free tutor? Do you create opportunity for others to succeed? Really measure that time commitment and then decide if it's enough or if there's room for more.

As the great 1980's poet once said "I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways."

Speak for yourself. I see it all of the time. If you're not spending time with black people committed to helping other black people succeed then you have 2 choices.

1) Become that black person preaching the "each one, teach one" philosophy.
2) Change your social group until you find black people who live by the philosophy.

I don't know you but you should ask yourself - how much of your time do you contribute? Not money, actual time. Are you a big brother? Free tutor? Do you create opportunity for others to succeed? Really measure that time commitment and then decide if it's enough or if there's room for more.

As the great 1980's poet once said "I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways."

I've seen plenty of black individuals and small groups prosper but I have never seen large scale groups of black people prosper...and neither have you.

I'm not being critical of Black America when I say we need to aggregate our resources in order to prosper as a group. I'm just stating the facts. Every other group does it and we need to as well. I frequent black businesses when I can and I promote other blacks when I have the opportunity.

But part of the problem is that which you seem to not want to address at all...the dysfunction within the black community. It's pretty hard for one to promote fellow blacks when there are so few, relatively speaking, worthy of promotion. Its hard to do business with black entrepreneurs when there are so few with that mindset and the education and discipline standards are so low. It's hard to go into black neighborhoods and help build them up when they are riddled with drugs, crime, and broken down families.

Back