That was NOT a long count ( Wilder Fury, 12rd kd )

Not in boxing but I have in MMA, Hendo vs Shields a similar thing happened IMO, but Shields recovered even faster. I thought both Fury and Shields got KOed and woke up while falling.
Even in MMA (I'm a long time pretty die hard fan) I have never seen anyone shut off for what seemed like a good 4 seconds and pop up fresh and ready to go.

** and I definitely scanned thru my mental roladex of fights to see if I could come up with an example from either sport.

I've seen "flash KOs" where someone looked dead and was fighting a second later, Fedor vs Hendo, Mir vs Barnett, etc, but never out and lifelsss for as long as Fury was.

I'll have to watch it again but I recall thinking oh shit, he is fucking out cold till about 4 (almost 5) at 5 his eyes open like something you would see in a movie but never believe "in real life" and by 9 he was standing with full balance (and maybe smart enough not to move until asked).

Last edited:
The count was fine.

What wasn't fine was "Can you walk over here?" which the ref had done earlier that night too.

The count is 10. If you get up within the 10 seconds without falling over yourself, the ref asks if you're ready to fight and then you start again immediately. Or, you're out and the fight is over. There's no weird extra tests you have to perform after the count. You don't get the fighter then doing a little walk for you and getting another 5 seconds of time, you've then given the guy 15 seconds at least.

For the record though, I don't think it would have made any difference as Fury looked clear-headed as soon as he got up, amazingly. He didn't then need a 5 second walk-about.

Long count debates are stupid anyway, since the downed fighter is going by the count he hears... if it was faster who's to say the fighter wouldn't get up faster.

I don't think I've seen anyone on here talk about a long count.

I'm a Fury fan 100% but i thought the count was long at the time. If it wasn't then no big deal, if it was, then cool - a nice bit of luck for Tyson.
What's more of a concern is the abysmal scoring where Wilder would have won on one of the cards probably even without the knockdowns.

Havent seen anyone complaining about the count. Count was fine imo.

The only arguments Ive really seen is whether he was out or not. I think its fair (and accurate) to say that he was out and (obviously) recovered. Fine job by the ref, and waiving it off when he was out on his back would have been fine too.

Nothing to be salty about. Epic roller coaster of a fight and we will probably get to enjoy seeing a rematch.
check youtube comments, they're all over

AJ vs Wilder makes no sense after Wilder vs Fury, if AJ fights either of them next it should be the one that about 90% think won which is Fury.
I'm ok with AJ vs Wilder, that just means that the winner fights fury, then we will get a true champ.

Just watched it and was actually surprised the ref comes in at the 3 count and seemed fast as fuck. Thought it was Earl Hebner reffin' for a second.

Tyson v Douglas - Douglas floored. Now that was a long count. Did Dave Hebner ref that one?
The ref picks up the count from the timekeeper outside the ring. The timekeeper will start counting the second someone hits the floor, legal KD or not.

Even in MMA (I'm a long time pretty die hard fan) I have seen anyone shut off for what seemed like a good 4 seconds and pop up fresh and ready to go.

I've seen "flash KOs" where someone looked dead and was fighting a second later, Fedor vs Hendo, Mir vs Barnett, etc, but never out and lifelsss for as long as Fury Waze

I'll have to watch it again but I recall thinking oh shit, he is fucking out cold till about 4 (almost 5) at 5 his eyes open like something you would see in a movie but never believe "in real life" and by 9 he was standing with full balance (and maybe smart enough not to move until asked).

Yeah, I don't think he was out as long as it seemed. In an interview the next day he said something to the effect of he doesn't rush to get up after knock downs cause he doesn't want the ref to stop the fight cause of a stumble from getting up too soon.

I'm ok with AJ vs Wilder, that just means that the winner fights fury, then we will get a true champ.

It just seems wrong to give the guy that should have lost the bigger fight.

Fury and Wilder are independent of AJ now after Saturday's fight. They would sell out Wembley twice over.

AJ's stock will only continue to fall the longer he ducks Fury and Wilder. It's clearly going to be Whyte or Chisora in April and people will be more interested in a potential Fury/Wilder rematch.

You clearly don’t know what your talking about......count the belts POV etc etc yes a rematch but after that they need aj

You clearly don’t know what your talking about......count the belts POV etc etc yes a rematch but after that they need aj

They don't need AJ. They made multiple millions each and became much bigger draws than they were before.

The longer they both call out AJ and AJ doesn't fight them, the more people will lose faith in AJ. That's a clear fact. Nobody wants to support a coward.

2019 is put up or shut up year for AJ. Time to fight. Why is that? Because the gravy train will pass him by if he doesn't. And that is case in point as to why Fury and Wilder do not need AJ.

The ref picks up the count from the timekeeper outside the ring. The timekeeper will start counting the second someone hits the floor, legal KD or not.

Like I said, I come from a time where the ref started at one when he started paying attention to the downed guy. The difference between a good ref and a bad ref back then was that a good one sorted the shit out instantaneously and got down to work *cough*Mills Lane*cough*. Seeing dude slide in w/ the three fingers on the go had me like gawd damn!

Like I said, I come from a time where the ref started at one when he started paying attention to the downed guy. The difference between a good ref and a bad ref back then was that a good one sorted the shit out instantaneously and got down to work *cough*Mills Lane*cough*. Seeing dude slide in w/ the three fingers on the go had me like gawd damn!
Thats actually been the official procedure for as long as I can remember.

Thats actually been the official procedure for as long as I can remember.

This. Many aren’t aware that the commission have ref assistance by the ring. Ideally boxers should know when to go to the neutral corner to hopefully not distract the ref. But we know in boxing that’s never perfect, so therefore the side ref is needed. Anybody that’s watched boxing has seen side refs stand. In many cases the main in ring ref almost always check for reference... I mean who wouldn’t, or embarrass the sport to just guess where the count left off (lol)

As Seano stated, some things are just common sense, like Aries being a ballerina dancer on Wednesdays and twice on Sundays!

Draw was accurate imo. I think Wilder stoke a few rounds in the middle as they both were rather inactive at times. Then the 2 10-8’s, anyone’s fight imo.

Better result than Canelo getting his W.

I also think it coulda been stopped, he was flat dead

I think he got KOed but he woke up while falling, if you watch him fall from behind he braces when he hits the canvas and his head doesn't snap back like it should if he were still unconscious. Fury said in an interview the day after the fight that when he gets knocked down he waits till the count is almost done before he gets up so that his legs won't look wobbly when he gets up.

That’s in hindsight the next day, I doubt after taking that punch he was like I’ll wait till 8 and get up so it doesn’t look as bad? Dudes eyes were crossed 3 different ways, I don’t think cognitive thinking was going on at all

That’s in hindsight the next day, I doubt after taking that punch he was like I’ll wait till 8 and get up so it doesn’t look as bad? Dudes eyes were crossed 3 different ways, I don’t think cognitive thinking was going on at all

You got fooled by the Gypsy King, as you should.

Back