That was hard to watch - Big Nog

How many times will they let a guy get dropped in a single round before ref steps in and saves him from getting finally his lights turn off in a brutal fashion?

Refs give someone like Big Nog the benefit of the doubt.

Even though I was never his biggest fan, I gotta give GSP major props for knowing when to get out of the game. It just sucks watching so many great fighters get old and slow and then hurt bad.

Very sad right now. I think this is it. ;..(

One of my first favorite fighters. 2nd best HW ever.

I think it's just about time for people to stop with the "2nd best heavyweight ever" stuff.

If it weren't for beating Sylvia (almost getting ko'd in the process) All of Nog's accomplishments were forever ago in pride.

and frankly, if you take a hard look at his record, he doesn't have nearly as many big wins as people think he does (fights as bob sapp..as fun as they were to watch..were not a big accomplishment)

i'm not saying he doesn't have quite a few big wins, but with Cain and JDS racking up top win after top win, I think it's impossible to say Nog is clearly the #2 of all time at HW for any reason other than nostalgia

Frank Mir is vastly underrated (or either Nog is vastly overrated--either way)

Yeah or maybe they performed at different levels at different times and at different FIGHTS of their careers. During Pride, Frank sucked. After Pride, Frank got better and Nog got worse. A while after that, they both got worse. Fighters don't have imaginary static skill bars their whole careers like they do have in the computer game.

I think it's just about time for people to stop with the "2nd best heavyweight ever" stuff.

If it weren't for beating Sylvia (almost getting ko'd in the process) All of Nog's accomplishments were forever ago in pride.

and frankly, if you take a hard look at his record, he doesn't have nearly as many big wins as people think he does (fights as bob sapp..as fun as they were to watch..were not a big accomplishment)

i'm not saying he doesn't have quite a few big wins, but with Cain and JDS racking up top win after top win, I think it's impossible to say Nog is clearly the #2 of all time at HW for any reason other than nostalgia

He was a p4p fighter for like 5 years... The #1 HW for about that long. Doesn't matter i'm not going to argue this. Whatever makes you happy.

How many times will they let a guy get dropped in a single round before ref steps in and saves him from getting finally his lights turn off in a brutal fashion?

He was getting up and coming forward for more.

His decision, that ref can't take from him.

this should show just how good mir is. mir beat nelson easily.

Mir really had the perfect gameplan for Big Country. For a guy who usually gets ragged on for his gameplans and/or fight IQ he got it spot on for that fight. Still remember that trip he pulled off against the cage, thing of beauty.

What? Barnett, Sergei (he could never beat him nowadays because Nog is too slow) Tim, Cro Cop, Herring, Werdum, Couture etc

You are crazy. Nog is at the end of his career (like Chuck was when he started losing every fight) and is slow as hell. He has had an amazing career. He could lose 10 in a row and it won't change what he accomplished.

He was getting up and coming forward for more.

His decision, that ref can't take from him.

Do you see your failure of logic in that? Of course he is going to come up for more, he is a fighter and one of the toughest SOB's the sport has ever seen. It's the refs job to save the fighter from himself.

I do think that Roy made the refs job a lot harder than usual tonight. He wasnt following up with GnP when dropped him, due to realizing that Nog was just going stand in front of him and circle to his power (and/or because he is just too lazy to go rushing in, distinct possibility)

I do think that Roy made the refs job a lot harder than usual tonight. He wasnt following up with GnP when dropped him, due to realizing that Nog was just going stand in front of him and circle to his power (and/or because he is just too lazy to go rushing in, distinct possibility)

I don't really blame Roy. I mean he's not exactly a ground and pound guy nor do I see the point in messing around with a sub attempt if he could just keep throwing/landing bombs.

Well, yes, that's the problem.

If he was coming up for more stumbling and barely walking straight, ref could end this.

But he was more or less OK still, it was just precise, brutal execution by Roy. :icon_sad:

Although Nog has looked like an old man for years, this in particular was the saddest moment if you're a Nog fan. I immediately thought after this, time to hang it up.

Well, yes, that's the problem.

If he was coming up for more stumbling and barely walking straight, ref could end this.

But he was more or less OK still, it was just precise, brutal execution by Roy. :icon_sad:

Nog was stumbling around like he just left the bar on a saturday/sunday morning at 5am after that last knockdown. It was like one of those animal shows where an antelope is just hanging around and they cut to a tiger preying on it. You just knew what was going to happen. :icon_sad:

What? Barnett, Sergei (he could never beat him nowadays because Nog is too slow) Tim, Cro Cop, Herring, Werdum, Couture etc

You are crazy. Nog is at the end of his career (like Chuck was when he started losing every fight) and is slow as hell. He has had an amazing career. He could lose 10 in a row and it won't change what he accomplished.

Hans has logic in this post.

totally expected it, but damn dat rigor mortis

but it doesn't really count. nog had staph, two broken arms, a concussion and a terrible fever going into the fight

Back