That Gsp Hendricks fight....

the reason was he was pissed that GSP was retiring without giving dana notice after a controversial win

it still wasn't warranted but lets not pretend it was for no reason

There were discussions going on prior to that fight GSP was thinking about retirement. He was denying it but a lot of reports and even people that were close to him were making noise about this. It was not some huge shock. And it needed to be a private internal discussion. This man carried your company for years. You publicly lay waste to him like that. He wrecked his relationship with the man forever.

With the UFC's scoring system it is correct to give it to GSP imo. 1,3,5. It was a close fight in that regard. In PRIDE or One FC scoring system Hendricks won hands down.

Jesus Christ, Dana absolutely eviscerated Georgie in that clip.

DFW tells it like it is. Even when it’s his cash cow.
Its even funnier when you think about everything he says in that clip and yet he lets McGregor get away with all of it now.

Hendricks should have actually fought in the last round instead of coasting and singing and bullshit. In any event, random drug testing has made him a non-entity in the world of mma.

I have always thought the idiots he had in his corner largely cost him. Every round they were telling him he was dominating. Every round they were telling him he’s way up. When you are trying to Dethrone one of the greatest fighters of all time, you can’t be taking your foot off the gas pedal. And the idiots in his corner were making it seem he was winning so easily, he didn’t have to press it later in the fight. Marc Laimon Was one of his trainers at that time. He was someone on the ultimate fighter that Matt Serra used to call Marc lemon because he was so useless.
I think they were basing it on how GSP actually looks. Honestly if you count damage; he was busted up vs Hendricks who was 70 percent namamasayin brain damage at the post fight conference.
Serra's beef with Laimon is political. Laimon started out with the gracies until a blue belt. Supposedly the Gracie academies in the past held back training techniques on purpose to Americans. Maybe it is a way to preserve their teaching techniques or they just didn't promote/sandbag students no matter what. Who knows?

1, 3, 5.

Like you said TS, when a fighter is dominant for so long and then has an off night it does't take much for fair weather fans and media cucks to get it twisted.

It doesn't matter really. The best anyone has done against GSP in over a decade is to just barely but not quite get two judges to think they won lol. Even a future champ on the best night of his life was not able to get the job done. That's why GSP is the GOAT.

I mean that stat is kind of misleading because GSP has only fought once in the last half of the decade lol so I’m not sure why you would bring that up in GSPs defense?? How can GSP be the goat when Chuck hasn’t lost in 8 years!!

Round 5 was clearly GSP without a doubt. Problem is rounds 2 and 4 are clearly Hendricks by a mile. Round 1 is very close as well. I can see GSP winning 3 rounds honestly. The issue is round 1,3,5 are meh round wins and 2 and 4 were very decisive.

Rd 1, 2 and 5 were GSP's. I can't see why anyone would give Hendrick's the win over GSP. He never beat the champ. Round 1 is a toss up and it should always goto the champ if its that close.

Lmao stevie wonder could've judged that fight better than whoever awarded gsp the victory terrible decision anyone who says he won is blind retard

1,3,5 all day for GSP...

But but but GPS face ..

But .but he got dropped.

So what...he survived and kept fighting..never gave an inch to hendricks and pulled off the win..MMA is scored by the round not the total fight

Roided hendricks and his magical IVs weren't enough to stop GSP...God dam 200+ pound Hendricks fighting at 170.. pathetic

Rd 1, 2 and 5 were GSP's. I can't see why anyone would give Hendrick's the win over GSP. He never beat the champ. Round 1 is a toss up and it should always goto the champ if its that close.
I think it comes down to the damage Henricks did in the 4th.
I mean the 1st may as well been a draw. I gave it to GSP but I won't really argue with someone giving it to Hendricks.
The 2nd Hendricks won but the way Rogan was shouting about GSP getting hurt you would think he was out on his feet falling all over the places. Really, he looked like he slightly got rocked at one point and went on the defense after that for the round.
3rd was GSP but was pretty uneventful.
4 was an assbeating, scoring the fight as a whole Hendricks would have won due to this round. It was really the only round someone took a real beating in. Not sure if it warrants a 10-8 or not. I would have to rewatch.
5 was like round 3, but with takedowns and Hendricks being gassed.
So scoring round for round really I think the fight is way closer than people state it is. But GSP got beat up, Hendricks just got tired. Still, Hendricks lost the fight according to the official judges, so they scored it the way I did. Hendricks should have went for it in the 5th, but he gassed.

Close fight. I could see an argument for either guy. Johnny Hendricks did piece him up tho. Did more damage to him.

It's a shame we never got to see a rematch after GSP skipped down.

It very easily could have been 48-47 Hendricks. The first round was that close to score. So it wasn't a "robbery" like people think it was. Hendricks being the dope he was, either gased or coasted in the 5th round because I think his corner thought he was up 3 rounds to 1. Either that or Hendricks wasn't ready to fight 5 rounds.

But they dont call them the "championship rounds" for nothing and GSP came into the final round to work...and Hendricks didn't. He has nobody to blame but himself.
I agree. Calling it a robbery is a stretch for sure.

Always fun to rehash this one, so here's my take after probably my 5th time watching it:

Round 1: Hendricks by a smidge. Both guys got a takedown with negligible damage scored off of it. GSP went for a mediocre sub attempt, landed some good lead leg low kicks and was touching Johny with the jab. Johny landed a couple big lefts, good knee up the middle, worked his own power low kicks, kneed GSP to the thighs HARD and elbowed GSP up pretty good against the fence. Close round, but I think you gotta give it to Johny. As an asdie, does anyone else feel like Compustrike just gets it totally wrong sometimes? They had Johny way ahead in terms of sig strikes landed towards the end of the first and I just didn't see it that way.

Round 2: Big Rigg. Clearly.Rocks GSP a couple times, works him over with GnP and busts his face wide open, while GSP sticks to the jab and lead leg attacks.

Round 3: GSP, but it's closer than a lot of people recall. GSP started landing his right in this round along with the jab and lead kicks he hit all night and Big Rigg looked like he was starting to slow down, but he picked it up in the last minute and managed to take GSP down off a single and keep him there till the end. Still GSP's round.

Round 4: Hendricks has his second wind and starts landing his left again (he loved the uppercut here) and GSP carries on with his attacks. Whenever these guys clinch up, Hendricks just jacks the underhook up and shoves him against the fence. No one before or since had that kind of success against Georges. Hendricks wins.

Round 5: GSP takes this round. He stuck with his gameplan on the feet, avoided the big attacks of Johny, and gets a (brief) take down late. Give it to Georges.

Bottom Line: Damn good fight, a lot of high-level stuff in here, and it's still a decision I can't agree with. The more I watch it though, the less clear cut the 1st round is for Johny and as many have already stated, that was the round this fight's outcome ultimately hinged on. In no way, shape, or form was this a robbery or even in the Top 25 worst decisions in MMA history, although it is probably the most high-profile close decision in the sport's history.

As they say, we can both disagree on something and neither one of us has to be wrong.

Of course, they also say we can disagree on something with equal conviction and the truth doesn't have to lie in the middle...

"Never leave it in the hands of the judges." DFW, 1885.

Back