Thais that have competed in kickboxing

Kanka

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Let's find out why kickboxing commentators always talk about thais having trouble adapting to kickboxing. Maybe i've forgotten some, and some of them probably only have like 1 KB fight, but the ones i know from the top of my head are these

Buakaw
Jomthong
Kaew
Superbon
Sittichai
Kem
Yodkhunpon
Yodsanklai
Singmanee
Singdam
Pajonsuk Superpro samui
Pajonsuk por Pramuk
Sagadpetch
Sudsakorn (i think, not sure though)
Lerdsila
Gonnapar
Kaoklai
Sakmongkol
Changpuek Kiatsongkrit
Jomhod Kiatadisak
Petchtanong
Aikpracha

Do you think any of them were not able to adopt to kickboxing rules due to their muay thai background?

Last edited:
Kaolan Kaowichit
nnuySkd.gif

Sakeddaw Kiatputon
0iPRiXv.gif

Saenchai and Pakorn although Pakorn wasn't that bad he basically beat Wei Rui and lost on a technicality. Some guys who were highly regarded nak muays at one time but who fought in kickboxing past their expiration date, Norasing Lukbanyai for one, lots of low to mid and low level 67-70kg guys. But in general when good thais who do kickboxing when they are still more or less physically there and more or less have their head in the game, they do well.

Kaolan Kaowichit
nnuySkd.gif

Sakeddaw Kiatputon
0iPRiXv.gif
Are you just mentioning them or are yoj making a point that they couldn't deal with the punches? Im not very familiar with either of these guys but i mean you could make a gif of Petrosyan being KO'd

Are you just mentioning them or are yoj making a point that they couldn't deal with the punches? Im not very familiar with either of these guys but i mean you could make a gif of Petrosyan being KO'd

I'm not sure. they've both been stadium champions. Kaolan was also fighter of the year 1998. maybe @jtwarwagon4life can shed some light on this? Both probably been drinking heavily at this time, chain smoking and giving up 35 lbs to there non-thai opponents.

that was there last respective fight in K1 after losing to Kraus and Masato who both won the tournament that year.

Last edited:
Orono Wor Petchpun won the It's Showtime 65 kg belt. He lost a shitty decision to Faldir Chahabri on the same night Buakaw got robbed against Albert Kraus.

Sudsakorn did compete in kickboxing, he beat Chahid very convincingly but lost to some random euro kickboxer I believe.

There was also Fuji Chalmsak, don't know much about him though. Sirimongkol the WBC boxing champ had a fight on a korean event and lost (cant remember if it was a bad decision or not though).

Their background definitely helps way more than it hurts, but it can give then some tendencies which from a KB perspective are disadvantageous (e.g. reflexively clinching up and getting a point deducted).

Their background definitely helps way more than it hurts, but it can give then some tendencies which from a KB perspective are disadvantageous (e.g. reflexively clinching up and getting a point deducted).

Ok, maybe Sakeddaw had a hard time transitioning.

LqCSU9n.gif

I'm not sure. they've both been stadium champions. Kaolan was also fighter of the year 1998. maybe @jtwarwagon4life can shed some light on this? Both probably been drinking heavily at this time, chain smoking and giving up 35 lbs to there non-thai opponents.

that was there last respective fight in K1 after losing to Kraus and Masato who both won the tournament that year.
Yeah, Kaolan was pretty shot at that point. His performances in muay thai were lousy during that time as well, he lost to a bunch of random Japanese fighters. I know he also had a bunch of injury problems, lost at least a couple of fights around this time from a dislocated shoulder.

I don't know much about Sakeddaw. I think he was Raja champ and got ko'd by Vallume, not for the title. I think the main reason that he was the Thai representative in the 2003 MAX was because he ko'd Takeda in a SNKF bout in Japan, maybe for the Raja belt.

Last edited:
Orono Wor Petchpun won the It's Showtime 65 kg belt. He lost a shitty decision to Faldir Chahabri on the same night Buakaw got robbed against Albert Kraus.

Sudsakorn did compete in kickboxing, he beat Chahid very convincingly but lost to some random euro kickboxer I believe.

There was also Fuji Chalmsak, don't know much about him though. Sirimongkol the WBC boxing champ had a fight on a korean event and lost (cant remember if it was a bad decision or not though).

And Chahbari was a very underrated kickboxer and way bigger than Orono.

Sudsakorn looked pretty competent in kickboxing from what I've seen, obviously he's totally shot now, but back 5 or 6 years ago he was definitely an above average kickboxer. He lost to Petrosyan, but didn't fair terribly, and lost to Yury Besmertny in the finals of a tournament (I thought he won the fight) in Italy.

Fuji Chalmsak was at least ok as a kickboxer. I think he may have held a Raja title at some point. He beat Duane Ludwig and one of the Magomadov brothers in k1, both by knockout.

There really aren't many good muay thai fighters who have outright failed in kickboxing. Even the ones who "fail" or under perform are usually top 20 or low top 10 type guys in their division. Saenchai is probably the biggest underachiever in kickboxing history.

Kaolan was the runner up in his K-1 debut and also beat Kohiruimaki (Second best Japanese fighter at tge time). In 3 fights with 2-1 record in K-1 rule, he has better resume than most kickboxers do today, so I would not say he failed miserably in his debut, rather it is about Albert Kraus being better than established names at the time like Masato.

I don't think there ae many Thai fighters that outright fail imo.

sudsakorn holds a win over the goat yi long that took place in china under kb rules. Thanonchai and yodwicha both fought for wlf and won their fights under kb rules.

sudsakorn holds a win over the goat yi long that took place in china under kb rules. Thanonchai and yodwicha both fought for wlf and won their fights under kb rules.

really?? was it china? that yokkao event?

Let's find out why kickboxing commentators always talk about thais having trouble adapting to kickboxing. Maybe i've forgotten some, and some of them probably only have like 1 KB fight, but the ones i know from the top of my head are these

Buakaw
Jomthong
Kaew
Superbon
Sittichai
Kem
Yodkhunpon
Yodsanklai
Singmanee
Singdam
Pajonsuk Superpro samui
Pajonsuk por Pramuk
Sagadpetch
Sudsakorn (i think, not sure though)
Lerdsila
Gonnapar
Kaoklai
Sakmongkol
Changpuek Kiatsongkrit
Jomhod Kiatadisak
Petchtanong
Aikpracha

Do you think any of them were not able to adopt to kickboxing rules due to their muay thai background?
Yes, especially Buakaw.

what was the issue with Saenchai. the chinese style or kickboxing ruleset?

saenchai had a couple easy wins in the hoost cup in japan under kb rules thru the years.

Back