Texas cops shoot man who took gun from church shooter

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://m.chron.com/news/houston-te...disarmed-possible-12704202.php#photo-15127760

Police in Amarillo shot an innocent man who helped foil a possible church shooting.

The shooting happened shortly after 9 a.m. Feb. 14 at the Faith City Mission, a faith-based outreach organization. Police said Joshua Len Jones, 35, of Amarillo, barged into a church building at Faith City Mission, pulled out a gun and was holding about 100 congregants and church staff hostage.

In the time between when police were dispatched and when officers arrived, a handful of churchgoers wrestled Jones to the ground. One of the congregants was able to grab Jones' gun.

Officers entered the building and saw the churchgoer holding the gun and opened fire, according to the Amarillo Police Department. The churchgoer was hospitalized in stable condition.

The victim, who spoke to ABC 7 Amarillo, has since been released and told the station he would do it all over again despite being shot by police.

"There were other people there," Tony Garces said. "I just took the gun away from him. I got shot. I got the bad part. It's life."

Some very brave people did a very good thing. Glad the guy is going to be OK. Hopefully we get more people with guns so this situation could have been resolved even better.

Last edited:
In before this turns to something other than giving that man the kudos he deserves.

Brave congregation. Really shitty situation for the cops and the guy who got the gun. They get called to a place about an active shooter, show up, see person A pointing a gun at person B and make a snap decision and shoot

How are they supposed to know Person A had disarmed Person B and flipped the tables? I conceal carry and I’ve actually thought about how I’d handle a situation if it ever happened where I’m holding someone at gunpoint and the cops are going to arrive to a high stakes scene any minute. How do I not let the gunman go or reach for a weapon, but yet not look like the gunman myself and risk getting shot by the cops?

Pretty badass dude. Great mindset too.
Nice to see that he's not using the moment as an excuse to bitch about guns, imagine the kinda pussy who'd do that.

Brave congregation. Really shitty situation for the cops and the guy who got the gun. They get called to a place about an active shooter, show up, see person A pointing a gun at person B and make a snap decision and shoot

How are they supposed to know Person A had disarmed Person B and flipped the tables? I conceal carry and I’ve actually thought about how I’d handle a situation if it ever happened where I’m holding someone at gunpoint and the cops are going to arrive to a high stakes scene any minute. How do I not let the gunman go or reach for a weapon, but yet not look like the gunman myself and risk getting shot by the cops?
You kill him and then set your weapon down.

The point where the congregation member taking the gun and the cops show up must have been really close together. You would figure other members would've ran out once the guy took the gun and told the cops what happened.

Not sure what we should be war'ing over in this thread? The cops getting called to a gunman call and see a guy pointing a gun at somone? Or that more people should or should not carry?

The point where the congregation member taking the gun and the cops show up must have been really close together. You would figure other members would've ran out once the guy took the gun and told the cops what happened.

Not sure what we should be war'ing over in this thread? The cops getting called to a gunman call and see a guy pointing a gun at somone? Or that more people should or should not carry?

police incompetence?

police incompetence?

You fault police for showing up to hostage situation and shooting the guy point a gun at someone? I mean I can some what see that argument but without knowing more -- I think I'd want the cop to shoot the guy pointing the gun.

Again the sequence of events must've been really close to each other.

You kill him and then set your weapon down.

9c494d2a461cd2b8575ca19840c62824e72d2633563011c55bb573a2d2b4201b.jpg

You fault police for showing up to hostage situation and shooting the guy point a gun at someone? I mean I can some what see that argument but without knowing more -- I think I'd want the cop to shoot the guy pointing the gun.

Again the sequence of events must've been really close to each other.

shooting without knowing the situation is NOT a good thing. How many times have we heard about dispatch not giving police correct information and they just kill a random person?

i would really love to know how anybody would deal with this situation,and any leos take on it as well.

Good of them to manage to take down and disarm the criminal.

The shooting does seem a bit weird since you'd think that the people in the church wouldn't have had their attention put towards the guy that grabbed the gun. You'd think the police would wonder why some guys have wrestled down another guy.

Was he really a church shooter if he didn't shoot anyone though? The article indicates that he's just more of a hostage taker at that point.

Too bad for the guy that grabbed the gun that he wasn't protected by god for helping save fellow believers.

Last edited:
shooting without knowing the situation is NOT a good thing. How many times have we heard about dispatch not giving police correct information and they just kill a random person?
Ok, and what would your response be if police show up, don't shoot, the guy takes a human shield, and starts shooting people?

This is an unfortunate occurrence, but I don't think the cops are at fault for shooting the guy with a gun pointed at another guy.

You knee cap the shooter, unload the gun and throw it all over the place and lay down on the ground.

Cops did the right thing. The guy who took it from the shooter might have been on SSRIs and upset that the shooter wasn't capping innocents.

i would really love to know how anybody would deal with this situation,and any leos take on it as well.

I have my own thoughts on it, but they're just opinions never tested nor even studied as thoroughly as they should be I realize. Not comfortable or confident sharing mine and someone taking it as potentially bad advice

I'd absolutely love to hear from one of our Sherbro LEOs on this matter. Can't think of any of the usernames to tag at the moment though

Back