Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is better than 1 and why the 80s were fun

Better, no, but it's more fun to sit and watch as it's a popcorn movie, but TCSM was never meant to be fun to watch

(WARNING MINOR SPOILERS)
Let me start off by saying I love TCM 1. It is a good movie and that chick getting hung on a hook and leatherface just going berserk at the end are some of the best moments in cinema.

Check out this quick clip and see if you want to read the rest:

But, I finally watched TCM2 the other day. I totally went into it thinking it was going to suck and this is why I have not seen it for decades.

This movie fucking rules!!! So the "players" you have Tobe Hooper directing, his writer was solid, and Bill Moseley as Chop Top fucking killed it----oh and let's not forget Dennis Hopper sending motherfuckers to fucking hell!!! Note on BM: "For a period of time, Bill Moseley operated as a journalist, writing for such magazines as Omni Magazine, National Lampoon and Psychology Today."
Shit, I almost forgot this is a Canon film as well (RIP).

Oh, shit, I forgot they made this one BLOODY AS FUCK!!! Thanks to makeup man Tom Savini (f13, f13 pt4, dawn of the dead).

So now it is the 80s. Leatherface is back but this time he has some personality and has a new face. "I mean, look at the way he dresses, man. Come on. That's style. Flash, pizzazz. And a little coke money doesn't hurt nobody."
Oh and the Family is rich now because they are selling chili with ... you know what in it and winning contests and shit, so plenty of coke money and he has some sweet new dance movies.

tumblr_npqu666btc1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

So, leatherface gets sexual finally (he hit puberty) and uses the chainsaw like a rabid metal schlong and even kinda has a GF. Grandpa and the other old man are back, too.
Chop Top is the new addition to the family, I thought it was the hitchhiker from pt 1 at first because he had a metal plate in his head (he was in vietnam) and HH got his head run over in pt 1. I had to listen to the commentary to find out they were different characters.

Top Chop is fucking nuts and the way he beats this guy is fucking hilarious and his dialogue is on point. Just crazy as fuck. One of the best horror characters ever.

Stretch is the Babe who fucks with Leatherfaces mind and then destroys his grandma before killing Chop top...like a real woman would.

The ending I will not spoil and it is really ambiguous which is great.

Dennis hoppers is getting revenge for his brother in the wheelchair that got killed in pt1 (Franklin)

This is an 80s movie---just excess gore and violence and sawing shit up for no reason and the bits of sexual innuendo and music by The Cramps and the Family's Lair is fucking awesome!

It just shows the different mentality of the 80s where we---boys and girls---just wanted to have some fucking fun.
5/5 stars

tcm2.jpg

6749_1.jpg

The 2003 remake beats them all...

That is what the original wants to be.

Ha!

TCM 2 was pretty damn enjoyable.

Nasty, but enjoyable.

I had forgotten Dennis Hopper was in it.

TCM is one of the greatest horror movies of all time. TCM2 is cheesy fun.

Better, no, but it's more fun to sit and watch as it's a popcorn movie, but TCSM was never meant to be fun to watch

Yeah, and the 80s was just a different sensibility than the 70s. It is like Alien vs Aliens.

Ha!

TCM 2 was pretty damn enjoyable.

Nasty, but enjoyable.

I had forgotten Dennis Hopper was in it.

TCM is one of the greatest horror movies of all time. TCM2 is cheesy fun.

It is weird I never heard much about it and just happened to see it on a movie channel. It is pretty sweet to find an underrated gem 3 decades later. Too bad horror will never be this fun again.

PS and Hopper just running around sawing the lair and the family not really getting it...

I love TCM2. It's such a fun and weird film. I found it to be way more enjoyable than the original, but that's not saying it's necessarily better. I remember the first time ever seeing it I was so confused because it was nothing like the original, but over time it's really grown on me. And Caroline Williams was hot as hell. Those short shorts. Wow. Definitely would.

As for the rest of the franchise, TCM3 was terrible and TCM4 was one of the worst abominations ever made in the history of film. The remake was pretty good, and I really enjoyed The Beginning. But TCM2 may very well be my favorite of the entire franchise.

As far as TCM, I could not stand the final girl. Literally like 30 minutes straight of nothing but screaming and I was just begging for her to be killed. I don't know if I've ever sided with the killer more than Leatherface in the first film. I was definitely rooting for him to get her.

I enjoy these movies, the first one is a classic and even the campy ones are fun.

The remake was great as well. I don't know why people wouldn't enjoy it. It's creepy, a lot of good weird shit the director captured. The house especially. That house is the creepiest in the remake. So much weird disgusting shit in there.

I love TCM2. It's such a fun and weird film. I found it to be way more enjoyable than the original, but that's not saying it's necessarily better. I remember the first time ever seeing it I was so confused because it was nothing like the original, but over time it's really grown on me. And Caroline Williams was hot as hell. Those short shorts. Wow. Definitely would.

Stretch is a babe. Fucking leatherface is poking a chainsaw at her crotch and fucking jerking off then goes nuts with his chainsaw.
To me, this is the only way you could do a sequel....you could not do a sequel in the same style as TCM1---that story is done and best left that way.

I agree with a lot of tcm1 being boring and annoying----the run through the woods and the dinner scene.

"Lick my plate you dog dick!"
tumblr_omvlvfHFpl1tbcweeo1_400.gif
tumblr_omjvibpHVD1tbcweeo1_400.gif

"look what you did to my sonny bono wig!!!"

The hideout at the end is one of my favorite badguy hideouts ever. If they make a Leatherface videogame, this would make a killer map to play in.

Also, I first owned the bare bones MGM DVD of TCM2, then I bought the Grusome Edition DVD, and then just recently I upgraded to the Shout Factory BluRay. I can't wait to check out all the special features. I love the movie so much.

Last edited:
The hideout at the end is one of my favorite badguy hideouts ever. If they make a Leatherface videogame, this would make a killer map to play in.

Also, I first owned the bare bones MGM DVD of TCM2, then I bought the Grusome Edition DVD, and then just recently I upgraded to the Shout Factory BluRay. I can't wait to check out all the special features. I love the movie so much.

I have the Shout Factory bluray. The intro thing when it goes up to the hideout if fucking awesome. Watching with all the commentaries currently.

TCM 2 was more enjoyable for me but TCM was hands down the better film.

Even though it was a good over the top cheesy sequel, Tobe had some great scare scenes in it.

The build up to Leatherface popping up in the radio station is fantastic.

Leatherface was a horror icon yet the video clip is proof how slopppy he could also be at times. 6:00 He seems to be a bit careless pursuing the girl and almost drops the chain saw on himself. You could say it adds to the realism but I consider him sloppy.

That chainsaw was half their budget.

To be fair horror movies are the cheapest, most cost efficient to make.

OP is correct. TCSM 2 is a hilarious classic. Not the horror genre of the first one. But an awesome horror comedy. It's up there with the best of the 80s.

I prefer 70s horror than the 80s black humor filled horror.

Its not that I dont like many of those 80s classics in their own way (Jason Lives, Return of the living dead, evil dead 2) I just rate intense-scary horror higher.

Back