Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is better than 1 and why the 80s were fun

ReAnimator Reagan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
(WARNING MINOR SPOILERS)
Let me start off by saying I love TCM 1. It is a good movie and that chick getting hung on a hook and leatherface just going berserk at the end are some of the best moments in cinema.

Check out this quick clip and see if you want to read the rest:

But, I finally watched TCM2 the other day. I totally went into it thinking it was going to suck and this is why I have not seen it for decades.

This movie fucking rules!!! So the "players" you have Tobe Hooper directing, his writer was solid, and Bill Moseley as Chop Top fucking killed it----oh and let's not forget Dennis Hopper sending motherfuckers to fucking hell!!! Note on BM: "For a period of time, Bill Moseley operated as a journalist, writing for such magazines as Omni Magazine, National Lampoon and Psychology Today."
Shit, I almost forgot this is a Canon film as well (RIP).

Oh, shit, I forgot they made this one BLOODY AS FUCK!!! Thanks to makeup man Tom Savini (f13, f13 pt4, dawn of the dead).

So now it is the 80s. Leatherface is back but this time he has some personality and has a new face. "I mean, look at the way he dresses, man. Come on. That's style. Flash, pizzazz. And a little coke money doesn't hurt nobody."
Oh and the Family is rich now because they are selling chili with ... you know what in it and winning contests and shit, so plenty of coke money and he has some sweet new dance movies.

tumblr_npqu666btc1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

So, leatherface gets sexual finally (he hit puberty) and uses the chainsaw like a rabid metal schlong and even kinda has a GF. Grandpa and the other old man are back, too.
Chop Top is the new addition to the family, I thought it was the hitchhiker from pt 1 at first because he had a metal plate in his head (he was in vietnam) and HH got his head run over in pt 1. I had to listen to the commentary to find out they were different characters.

Top Chop is fucking nuts and the way he beats this guy is fucking hilarious and his dialogue is on point. Just crazy as fuck. One of the best horror characters ever.

Stretch is the Babe who fucks with Leatherfaces mind and then destroys his grandma before killing Chop top...like a real woman would.

The ending I will not spoil and it is really ambiguous which is great.

Dennis hoppers is getting revenge for his brother in the wheelchair that got killed in pt1 (Franklin)

This is an 80s movie---just excess gore and violence and sawing shit up for no reason and the bits of sexual innuendo and music by The Cramps and the Family's Lair is fucking awesome!

It just shows the different mentality of the 80s where we---boys and girls---just wanted to have some fucking fun.
5/5 stars

tcm2.jpg

6749_1.jpg

Last edited:
TCM2 is the shits. Nothing like following up one of the greatest horror pictures of all time with a cheesy comedy.

Even TCM4 with Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey was better.

I like part 1 better

Im sorry but i like tcm 2 but it could never pass the classic

lol

No. 1st one is legit creepy and a classic. One of the worst things about horror is the fact that so much of it is cheesy worthless bullcrap.

Glad you enjoyed Part 2 but I found the film unbearable.

I like the first one. Except for the annoying fat kid in the wheel chair.

It's satisfying when he dies

I won't say it's better but I find i rewatch it more

I couldn't understand if that fat fuck in the wheelchair was just a whiney little bitch or if he had a mental issue.

Either way was great when he died

Also Alexandra Daddario's acting was on point for that remake
texas-chainsaw-3d-2.jpg

Im sorry but i like tcm 2 but it could never pass the classic

And TCM is a classic. And it is very serious and very gritty and very scary.

lol

No. 1st one is legit creepy and a classic. One of the worst things about horror is the fact that so much of it is cheesy worthless bullcrap.

Give it another try. Totally forget it is a sequel, and look at it like a 80s slasher/action movie/comedy .... like spoof or maybe satire of the slasher genre. It is hard to tell if it was serious and just canon cheese or intentially funny, but it is just a fun movie.

I won't say it's better but I find i rewatch it more

TCM 1 is a process to watch. You have to be in the mood for that type of movie. TCM2 you just need to be feeling silly and want some fun.

I think another thing that sells it to me is that it is so fucking creative and just did not give a fuck in a good way. It is almost like mixing natural born killers and TCM...

Classic.

And TCM is a classic. And it is very serious and very gritty and very scary.

Give it another try. Totally forget it is a sequel, and look at it like a 80s slasher/action movie/comedy .... like spoof or maybe satire of the slasher genre. It is hard to tell if it was serious and just canon cheese or intentially funny, but it is just a fun movie.

TCM 1 is a process to watch. You have to be in the mood for that type of movie. TCM2 you just need to be feeling silly and want some fun.

I think another thing that sells it to me is that it is so fucking creative and just did not give a fuck in a good way. It is almost like mixing natural born killers and TCM...

Classic.
Yeah they are both great imo. Actually took me a little while to come round to one

Yeah they are both great imo. Actually took me a little while to come round to one

Yeah, one has great scenes but some of the stuff goes on a little bit long. Like when the girl is at the dinner table just yelling for 5 minutes. And Franklin...fuck Franklin.

I always believe a ts when they start out an op with "I'm a so and so fan....but!".

Last edited:
TCM 2 was more enjoyable for me but TCM was hands down the better film.

Even though it was a good over the top cheesy sequel, Tobe had some great scare scenes in it.

The build up to Leatherface popping up in the radio station is fantastic.

TCM 2 was more enjoyable for me but TCM was hands down the better film.

Even though it was a good over the top cheesy sequel, Tobe had some great scare scenes in it.

The build up to Leatherface popping up in the radio station is fantastic.

Oh yeah, for sure TCM is the better film.
But yeah, that popping out of the record room scared the shit out of me. It still gets me. That timing----maybe because it is interrupting Chop Top talking--is perfect.
^ EDIT: I just watched that clip again and I jumped. Fuck.
"nam flashbacks!"
Sonny bono wig!

It is funny seeing Hopper as kind of the bible thumper in the 80s.
Fucking leatherface dancing with stretch while she is wearing her friend's face is mag-niff-eek.
And the fucking yuppies in the beginning.

As far as just out and out creativity goes----I have to put this up with natural born killers.

I went into this movie completely thinking it was going to be garbage. This goes top 10 horror for me. And while there was a lot of gore it was all done as fun, not even mean and shit. It is like the movie equivalent of a roller coaster.

Without reading that wall of text, I'll have to disagree. TCM2 was cool but never as good as the original. The remake is straight garbage.

The one with Viggo Mortensen is great. 3 I think?

Without reading that wall of text, I'll have to disagree. TCM2 was cool but never as good as the original. The remake is straight garbage.

A wall of text has no breaks and is one paragraph. This has multiple paragraphs and pictures and videos.

I agree. The second one is more rewatchable. It's got better effects, the characters are more interesting, the dialogue is more memorable, and it's got that doesn't take itself serious charm to it.

What's interesting is that it was made by the same director, so instead of just churning out another serious and disturbing iteration, he took it in a campier direction, and it worked.

I like the original, and it definitely deserves its praises, but TCM2 is the all around more entertaining flick.

Back