Tesla Executives Continue To Flee As The Company Goes Rogue With Its Balance Sheet

Unfortunate as Tesla hasmade arguably the greatest vehicles in history. Maybe the feds will bail them out like they did GM and Chrysler

I find it odd and kinda sad that people root against Tesla and Musk. If you can't at least admire what he's done and is trying to do in an industry that hasn't changed in decades you're probably just a bitter asshole.

There's a difference between rooting against Tesla and facing reality. The continued failures to meet stated production goals has to make any sane person question it's ability to be successful and turn a profit. Tesla has dug quite a hole for itself with all of the delays. In the end, it's vehicles might still be toys for the rich. The $35,000 Model 3 car is more like a $70,000 car with the extended range battery and common options.

I don't understand why Tesla doesn't just outsource to an established auto manufacturer that already has the supply chain in place. Why reinvent the wheel? If I were them i would look to nVidia as a model of how to run a fabless tech business.

What they are trying to do is just stupid.

This is what I've said from the start. Have a company that knows how to build cars and has the factories and people to do it build the car.

This is what I've said from the start. Have a company that knows how to build cars and has the factories and people to do it build the car.
But a Tesla isn't just a car, it is a trailblazer because Tesla managed to make electric vehicles viable whereas other MFGs hadn't. So who could possibly build a Tesla except for Tesla.

AMD doesn’t have the cash to compete with nNvidia or Intel. If there next line of cards is a bust again, I wouldn’t be surprised if AMD sells there graphics division to Intel in the next couple of years.
I actually think that is a good thing. BUT, the latest articles I have been reading says that AMD's use of 7nm in their cards will completely negate any advantage that Nvidia has. IF this proves true, it could mean a drastic turn around.

Its sad considering the products Tesla ultimately produced but you feel as if Musk toned down the R&D and focused short term on a consistent production of their popular saloons they would be in a far better position. How much have they sunk into the Roadster and Semi Truck ffs? Is that necessary when you cant get enough Model 3's off the production line?

Not to mention the money spent developing their self driving system. Deliver your orders then develop your car from there.

Musk uses things like the roadster and semi as the shiny baubles to distract attention from problems and also get people to pay money to reserve them.

Hey! Why did you decide on the tesla in particular? I'm just curious why go with them instead of an electric model from an established car manufacturer?

The biggest obstacle for us from making the jump from gasoline engines to fully-electric (or LNG, or ethanol, hydrogen, or any other alternatives) is the nagging concern of running out of juice on the road without anyway for replenishment, since those fueling/charging stations are as plentiful as unbiased non-partisan posters in the WR.

The industry-standard 200+ miles on a single charge means you'd be fine with any electric cars on most days, whether it's a Tesla Model 3 or Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf, but you know how shit always happen when you least expected it. We all have ran out of gas at the worst time before, so we knew it's only a matter of time before we finds a way to completely drains our electric car's battery on the road too.

Tesla's extensive and ever-expanding network of Supercharger stations in the West Coast put that concern to rest. In fact, there are three of them within a 6 miles perimeter around our neighborhood now. We'll probably have no need for them on most days, but it's nice to know that they are there when we do.

Last edited:
I actually think that is a good thing. BUT, the latest articles I have been reading says that AMD's use of 7nm in their cards will completely negate any advantage that Nvidia has. IF this proves true, it could mean a drastic turn around.
This is going to come off dickish but I don’t mean it to be.
Go do some research on Global Foundries 7nm. It isn’t really 7nm

But a Tesla isn't just a car, it is a trailblazer because Tesla managed to make electric vehicles viable whereas other MFGs hadn't. So who could possibly build a Tesla except for Tesla.

Tesla hasn't made a viable vehicle. That requires making a profit, which they haven't done. Remember, Tesla was started by engineers who had worked on GMs EV1 which drivers liked. GM decided they cost too much to make and there wasn't a big market for them at a time when automakers were having financial problems. They also required a lot of infrastructure.

Fuel economy standards made them more attractive and Tesla was able to sell credits to other manufacturers. Tax credits also help lower the initial price. What Tesla has done well is promote the vehicle as something that can help the planet and make buyers feel good about spending a lot of money. They are status symbols.

I think Tesla only makes the batteries and maybe stamps some sheet metal. Everything else is purchased elsewhere.

So I don't know I bothered, but I looked this up, and Tesla (as many other companies do) just uses COGS and COR interchangeably (they do call it COR in their 8K).

Anyway, it has been rising a lot (the pace has slowed down to levels not seen since Q2 2016, though), but it's not concerning. DSI was actually at its lowest level since Q4 2013 in each of the last two quarters.

In other words, they aren't losing money as fast as they have, at least on paper.

There's a difference between rooting against Tesla and facing reality. The continued failures to meet stated production goals has to make any sane person question it's ability to be successful and turn a profit. Tesla has dug quite a hole for itself with all of the delays. In the end, it's vehicles might still be toys for the rich. The $35,000 Model 3 car is more like a $70,000 car with the extended range battery and common options.
Yeah I get all that, but unless you have a financial stake in the matter why should you be so bothered about a company failing to turn a profit? There are some outrageous sentiments in this very thread as if some posters are out millions.

It's like some people are out for blood and won't be happy until Musk is a beggar in the streets....for succeeding at nearly all of his goals but in the end possibly failing to produce enough state of the art vehicles to turn a profit. He put his money where his mouth is and he's being shit on anyway.

I think Tesla only makes the batteries and maybe stamps some sheet metal. Everything else is purchased elsewhere.

They manufactures the primary electrical components in-house. The mechanical parts are outsourced.

Tesla manufactures the electric components of the car – the electric motor, the battery pack and the charger – but other parts come from suppliers spread across the U.S., Europe and Asia.

Below is a list of some of the key suppliers for Tesla's manufacturing production, along with the components they supply:
  • AGC Automotive: windshields
  • Brembo: brakes
  • Fisher Dynamics: power seats
  • Inteva Products: instrument panel
  • Modine Manufacturing Co.: battery chiller
  • Sika: acoustic dampers
  • Stabilus: liftgate gas spring
  • ZF Lenksysteme: power steering mechanism
Other suppliers include ADAC, ABC Group, Angell-Demmel, Argent, Gentex, Harada, Hitachi Cable America, Hope Global, MacLean-Fogg, Magna International, Methode Electronics, Multimatic, Panasonic, Plastomer, PSM International, Riviera, T1 Automotive and Zanini Auto Group.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/052815/who-are-teslas-tsla-main-suppliers.asp

It's not all that different from the big auto manufacturers, really. Aside from the frame and the engine/transmission, most of the parts under a Toyota's hood (anything from the Starter to the Alternator to the Oxygen Sensors) still have a Denso label on them.

Up until the Takata exploding airbag fiasco, I think most people were still under the illusion that everything in their car besides the tires were made by the same company.

Last edited:
I don't know what the right thinks about SpaceX. I suspect most people on the right don't give it much thought.

Being a supporter of market capitalism doesn't make you a conservative, so I'm not sure how this comment relates to what I said. Conservatives are skeptical and critical of progress by default, so it's not all that shocking they are not as enamored with Tesla as liberals are. To liberals, Tesla's are marvels of engineering but conservatives would rather drive a Mustang or something.

The Mustang that beat the Tesla.

Zombie222-668x409.jpg

I'd like to see Tesla succeed. I hope they can right the ship because I think they've made amazing achievements in technology.

There are certainly used ones on the market.

But they're claimed by many to be the best vehicles on the market and will last forever. Why would anybody sell one?

The biggest obstacle for us from making the jump from gasoline engines to fully-electric (or LNG, or ethanol, hydrogen, or any other alternatives) is the nagging concern of running out of juice on the road without anyway for replenishment, since those fueling/charging stations are as plentiful as unbiased non-partisan posters in the WR.

The industry-standard 200+ miles on a single charge means you'd be fine with any electric cars on most days, whether it's a Tesla Model 3 or Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf, but you know how shit always happen when you least expected it. We all have ran out of gas at the worst time before, so we knew it's only a matter of time before we finds a way to completely drains our electric car's battery on the road too.

Tesla's extensive and ever-expanding network of Supercharger stations in the West Coast put that concern to rest. In fact, there are three of them within a 6 miles perimeter around our neighborhood now. We'll probably have no need for them on most days, but it's nice to know that they are there when we do.

The biggest setback for me are the charging times. We drive long-distance every once in a while so we'd still have to own one with a combustion engine. I also worry about the cost of repair. Have you tried or owned hybrids? Did you choose electric for environmental or gas price related reasons? How long have you been waiting for your model 3/what's the estimated delivery date? I'll stop bothering you now.

Back