Tesla Executives Continue To Flee As The Company Goes Rogue With Its Balance Sheet

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by JonesBones, May 15, 2018.

1. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

From what I can tell, the left generally is rooting for Tesla and the right wants it to fail. Not across the board, obviously.

Strychnine likes this.
  2. ultramanhyata

ultramanhyata Gold Belt

Do you see the right holding the same bias against SpaceX? I rarely see proponents of market capitalism critical of innovation and private enterprise, regardless of the product or service involved.

3. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

I don't know what the right thinks about SpaceX. I suspect most people on the right don't give it much thought.

Being a supporter of market capitalism doesn't make you a conservative, so I'm not sure how this comment relates to what I said. Conservatives are skeptical and critical of progress by default, so it's not all that shocking they are not as enamored with Tesla as liberals are. To liberals, Tesla's are marvels of engineering but conservatives would rather drive a Mustang or something.

4. Kframe

Kframe Brown Belt

Now that AMD'S Zen architecture is a success and rivaling Intel, it should be an interesting time. It's just a matter of Time before AMD uses its experience with Zen on its brand of Graphics Cards. For most of their existence AMD/ATI have never been real competitors in the power sense with Nvidia, only cost have they competed. The cold war between the two brands will really heat up when AMD takes a shot across the bow of Nvidia with their forth coming 7nm graphics cards. Which is a big deal considering that Nvidias next generation are going to be using 12nm.

God I can only hope they put a hurting on Nvida. Maybe then there will be real competition and it will force prices down. Right now Nvidia prices are stupid.

Strychnine likes this.
  5. Arkain2K

Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

My entire family have Model 3s on order for each of us. Should we be changing our political affiliation from Independents to Democrats now? o_O

6. Kframe

Kframe Brown Belt

Independents are democrats who can't commit.

7. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

The problem for AMD(ATI) is that they don't have PhysX or CUDA libraries. Think of how many apps people do with coda cores that have nothing to do with display graphics.

It's going to take a lot more than hardware specs to have people port their computation code away from nVidia libraries/tools.

8. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

That's an obviously stupid interpretation of what I said.

9. Arkain2K

Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Also, what's the Liberal/Conservative leanings on the Intel/AMD and ATI/Nvidia fronts? I'm building a new rig but don't want to mess up the political components.

IDL and Dr. Shoemaker like this.
  10. Kframe

Kframe Brown Belt

You are not wrong, but Isn't Cuda or PhysX specifically the realm of Nvidia? Meaning their IP's? I have never been sure on that point. For what its worth, I can't imagine a major company like ATI/AMD not having a competitor for Cuda and PhysX. God, I remember when Nvidia released the PhysX Accelerator card.

Something must have changed as Blender 2.8 is going to finally include support for ATI/AMD. CANT FUCKING WAIT FOR EEVEE! No more multiday render times..

Dr. Shoemaker and therealdope like this.
  11. Kframe

Kframe Brown Belt

LOL. If you plan on doing any form of 3d art, then go Nvidia for now, as they are the only ones with Cuda and PhysX. If just gaming I would consider ATI as it may not currently be as strong but the value is great. If you have money to spare get the forth coming 1180 from Nvidia.

12. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

Remember what happened last time Keller made AMD great again and then left?
    History is doomed to repeat itself.
    The big issue this time is he went to the competitor.
    AMD still can’t make a graphics card that competes with Nvidias high end and there lead engineer went to the competition.

13. Kframe

Kframe Brown Belt

Yea, their recent tries sucked. But Amd needs to get this Cuda/PhysX shit sorted. Open CL is a joke compared to Cuda. Amd has it in them to make great products, Zen is proof of that. Sadly you are right though. Given their track record they are doomed to repeat their stupid history and loose again to Nvidia.

I just wish they would break out of the cycle so we can get some actual competition between them, and drive the fucking prices down.

therealdope likes this.
  14. solmu

solmu Orange Belt

Hey! Why did you decide on the tesla in particular? I'm just curious why go with them instead of an electric model from an established car manufacturer?

15. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

I would love to see ATI succeed. A bunch of my classmates went to work at ATi straight out of school as ASIC programmers.

My first accelerated card was a Mach64.

16. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

AMD doesn’t have the cash to compete with nNvidia or Intel. If there next line of cards is a bust again, I wouldn’t be surprised if AMD sells there graphics division to Intel in the next couple of years.

17. Dr. Shoemaker

Dr. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE**** Platinum Member

A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    You should start a thread in the Video Game Forum about this "Identity Rig".

Turtle Up and xcvbn like this.
  18. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Silver Belt

I don't think Tesla, the car company will be around long term. I cannot see how they ever scale to the number of cars they need to sell to justify their market cap with all the new electric product coming on stream from the Major Manufacturers. Tesla will get a significant but niche share but its stock is priced as if they are the dominant player in the market for decades to come.

That said Elon has changed the world. This move to electric cars is not turning back and he was the most important in this shift. So much like Napster was changed the music industry but did not survive ultimately so to do I see Tesla going by the way side.

Arguably though their solar and battery efforts could save them. I see far more expansion and adoption of that as States and Cities look to force more renewable options.

Cuzcatlan, Strychnine and xcvbn like this.
  19. Execute

Execute Gold Belt Platinum Member

I would say I'm fairly liberal and although I don't hope Tesla fails...i recognize they're extremely overhyped. Poorly managed and I personally don't find their cars to be very nice for what you pay. I'm all for electric cars, but I'd rather get an Audi/BMW at that price point. Oh and I'd like to own the car I pay for....

Cuzcatlan and kpt018 like this.
  20. xcvbn

xcvbn Silver Belt Platinum Member

It was mentioned in this thread and I heard it a few years back from my econ professor that Tesla is a battery company essentially.

What they've managed to do with batteries in a relatively short amount of time is incredible. It's one of the most difficult technologies to scale given current scientific/manufacturing limitations and they've met most of their targets.

That said, maybe it will actually be better for us consumers if they do give up on cars(far from failing though as they single handedly changed the industry for the better) and solely focus on furthering battery technology.

MikeMcMann likes this.