Terrorist Attacks by Muslims Receive 357% More Media Coverage

I think it’s pretty easy to find yourself, just look at the 4 examples I posted, add up those body counts and then see if anywhere near that many people have been killed in “right wing” terrorist attacks on us soil, just going by memory, I think there were around 13 killed in fort hood, 16 in San Bernardino, 9 in Seattle and I for get how many in Orlando what ~20???.

I don’t think it takes a genius to see that if a “right winger” killed that many people it would be all over the news just as much as any Islamic terror attack.

did you read the articles?

heres an example:

Las Vegas police Officer Laura Meltzer displays photos of Patriot movement extremists Jerad and Amanda Miller before a news conference June 9, 2014. The day before, the couple gunned down two police officers in a pizzeria, leaving a swastika and “Don’t tread on me” flag on one victim, before killing a civilian who attempted to intervene.

i would agree that many of the islamic attacks are more dramatic and have large body counts (excluding dylan roof et. al.), but i also think that there are a higher frequency of attacks like the one that i posted above. thats what the articles seem to be claiming as well. they dont really make national news as often, and thats probably why most people dont know about them, and assume islamic killings are more frequent. the availability heuristic, its called.

If you run the numbers there's over 500 bombs dropped from US planes on muslim countries for every terrorist attack in the past two years.

Perhaps, but that doesn’t have anything to do with what’s being discussed here. But I guess bybyour metric we should also take a look at violence caused by Islam in other countries as well. That would be a better comparison. This article is about domestic terrorism.

You “never heard much of right wing attacks,” eh?

Could be because— as the study points out— the media doesn’t cover them as widely.
giphy.gif
If a tree falls in the forest....;)

Link to list of these right wing attacks

Here are some

As of March 2018, the New America Foundation placed the number killed in terrorist attacks in the United States (since 9/11) as follows: 103 killed in jihadist terrorist attacks, 70 killed in far-right attacks, and 8 killed in black separatist/nationalist/supremacist attacks.[38] The politically conservative Daily Caller News Foundation using data from the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START), found 92% of all "ideologically motivated homicide incidents" committed in the United States from 2007 to 2016 were motivated by right-wing extremism or white supremacism.[39] According to the Government Accountability Office of the United States, 73% of violent extremist incidents that resulted in deaths since September 12, 2001 were caused by right-wing extremist groups.[40][41]

New America's tally shows that since September 11, 2001, incidents of right-wing extremism have caused 70 deaths. Incidents causing death were:[38]

Year Occurrence Location Victims Wounded* Victims Killed*
2018 Stabbing of Blaze Bernstein Orange County, California 0 1
2017 University of Maryland stabbing College Park, Maryland 0 1
2017 Car-ramming attack into counter-protestors at a white nationalist rally Charlottesville, Virginia 19 1
2017 Portland train attack Portland, Oregon 1 2
2017 Stabbing of Timothy Caughman New York City 0 1
2015 Shooting at a showing of the film Trainwreck Lafayette, Louisiana 9 2
2015 Planned Parenthood shooting Colorado Springs, Colorado 9 3
2015 Shooting attack on worshippers at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church Charleston, South Carolina 1 9
2014 Attack on Pennsylvania State Police barracks Blooming Grove, Pennsylvania 1 1
2014 Ambush attack on Las Vegas police officers Las Vegas, Nevada
2014 Overland Park Jewish Community Center shooting Overland Park, Kansas
2013 Los Angeles International Airport shooting attack on TSA officer Los Angeles, California 6 1
2013 Double murder committed by Jeremy Lee Moody and Christine Moody Jonesville, South Carolina 0 2
2012 Ambush attack against St. John the Baptist Parish police St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana 2 2
2012 Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting Oak Creek, Wisconsin 4 6
2012 Tri-state killing spree by white supremacists David Pedersen and Holly Grigsby Multiple
2011 FEAR group attacks Georgia
2010 Murder committed by Aryan Brotherhood members Mississippi 0 1
2010 Shooting at bookstore cafe perpetrated by Ross William Muehlberger Wichita Falls, Texas 4 1
2010 Murder of Todd Getgen[42][43] Carlisle, Pennsylvania 0 1
2010 Suicide attack by airplane Austin, Texas 13 1
2009 Murder of sex offender by white supremacists North Palm Springs, California 0 1
2009 Murder committed by Charles Francis Gaskins Carmichael, California 0 1
2009 United States Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting Washington, D.C. 1 1
2009 Assassination of George Tiller Wichita, Kansas 1 1
2009 Murders of Raul and Brisenia Flores Brockton, Massachusetts 1 2
2009 Shooting of Pittsburgh police officers Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 2 3
2009 Woodburn bank bombing Woodburn, Oregon 2 2
2008 Knoxville Unitarian Universalist church shooting Knoxville, Tennessee 8 2
2007 Murder of homeless man by Aryan Soldiers
0 1
2006 Murder committed by John Ditullio
1 1
2004 Bank robbery Tulsa, Oklahoma 0 1
2003 Torture, abduction and murder Salinas, California 0 1
2001 Post-September 11 shootings Multiple 1 6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_terrorism#United_States

Instead, TheDCNF conducted an independent analysis of domestic extremism for the same 10-year time frame. The analysis only includes instances where domestic extremists had a clear ideological motive.

The data from our analysis comes from the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START), a university research center partially funded by the Department of Homeland Security.

Our findings support the ADL statistic. Using their definition of right-wing extremists, we found that 92 percent of ideologically motivated homicide incidents were committed with a right-wing extremist or white supremacist motive.

The Government Accountability Office (GAO) conducted a somewhat similar analysis of domestic extremism since the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and found that 73 percent of all domestic extremist incidents that resulted in death were perpetrated by right-wing extremists.

The ADL statistic may well be accurate, but other statistics from START paint a more complicated picture.

Left-wing and environmental extremists committed around 69 percent of all extremist property attacks, which often involved acts of arson. Muslim extremists committed about 62 percent of all homegrown bombing incidents and 29 percent of all armed assaults by extremists. Besides homicide, right-wing extremists are responsible for around 48 percent of all armed assault incidents by extremists with a clear ideological motive.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/23/f...t-largely-responsible-for-extremist-violence/
https://www.gao.gov/assets/690/683984.pdf

extremism%20graphic%20PF.JPG

http://www.politifact.com/californi...rries-out-more-terror-attacks-us-soil-right-/

https://www.adl.org/news/press-rele...supremacist-murders-more-than-doubled-in-2017

This changes everything. We should beg for more uneducated Muslim migrants.
Jesus Christ, how can you post that without biting through your entire thumb? Nobody is suggesting that because Muslims may be discriminated against in our media, we should beg for uneducated Muslim immigrants. You're just derp-railing because this makes you uncomfortable.

Also, on a more personal note, I'm amused that you now have to choose between putting me on ignore and being able to access the Lounge thread. I bet "ignore" is going to win that one.

Interesting. I find it telling that Islamist terrorism is even its own category to begin with, though. The definitions of Right Wing and Left Wing terrorism both encompass widely varying groups, like animal rights activists and black supremacists on the left or anti-abortionists and white supremacists on the right.

Why wouldn’t Islamic terrorism be Right Wing terrorism? Christian terrorism is.

It would be interesting to see all of the subgroups individually, and perhaps other groupings that make some sense like grouping white and black supremacist terrorism together compared to religious terrorism together compared to political activist terrorism.

Anyway it’s all interesting to me so thanks for the share.

did you read the articles?

heres an example:

i would agree that many of the islamic attacks are more dramatic and have large body counts (excluding dylan roof et. al.), but i also think that there are a higher frequency of attacks like the one that i posted above. thats what the articles seem to be claiming as well. they dont really make national news as often, and thats probably why most people dont know about them, and assume islamic killings are more frequent. the availability heuristic, its called.

There are probably a higher frequency of similar attacks like you mentioned but how many result in multiple deaths??? Also, how do they define it as “right wing”??? Before 2016, I rarely if ever hear of “right wingers” described as nazis.

Do you ever read any links provided in threads—like EVER?

in this case I didn't, because your short description of the issue was very clear.
In this context I described you the reason why I think that is so.
The unbalanced reporting is a direct result of the violent culture which is associated with Muslims. Because of that, journalists unconsciously create prejudices and fear, which influence their reporting.

There are probably a higher frequency of similar attacks like you mentioned but how many result in multiple deaths???

probably not as many. why should that matter though if, as many sources in this thread have pointed out, more overall deaths come from right wing attacks? which is the larger social problem?

Also, how do they define it as “right wing”??? Before 2016, I rarely if ever hear of “right wingers” described as nazis.

thats a great question, and one that you should have looked within the articles to find answers to as your first response, rather than just immediately making things up in an effort to claim that the article's conclusions are not true.

Speaking personally, that's not really a can of worms you want to open on here. You'd be completely right, but you'd also be rustling core jimmies. It's just not worth it.

probably not as many. why should that matter though if, as many sources in this thread have pointed out, more overall deaths come from right wing attacks? which is the larger social problem?

thats a great question, and one that you should have looked within the articles to find answers to as your first response, rather than just immediately making things up in an effort to claim that the article's conclusions are not true.

I don’t believe the article laid out a definition for what constitutes a “right wing” attack. Like I said, it’s typica slanted media which is meant to dazzle people with cherry picked facts, figures, and definitions....I mean why. It look at the last 20 years??? Oh wait, they would have to include 9/11 and then it would be completely obvious why there is more reporting....9/11 was talked about non stop around the world for how long??? I wonder ho many tines it was reported, I wonder why....

Neo-nazis =\= “right wing” do they??? Really???

I don’t believe the article laid out a definition for what constitutes a “right wing” attack. Like I said, it’s typica slanted media which is meant to dazzle people with cherry picked facts, figures, and definitions....I mean why. It look at the last 20 years??? Oh wait, they would have to include 9/11 and then it would be completely obvious why there is more reporting....9/11 was talked about non stop around the world for how long??? I wonder ho many tines it was reported, I wonder why....

Neo-nazis =\= “right wing” do they??? Really???

there are links to the research from the university of alabama within the articles.

i think all "wings" have their fringe extremes. no?

According to a study done by the University of Alabama, an act of violence committed by a Muslim between 2006-2015 generated an average of 105 headlines— compared to 15 for non-Muslims.

The same study found that over the same period right wing attacks were twice as frequent as Muslim attacks.

Violence by Muslims is also exponentially more likely to become a national, rather than merely local, headline.

Thanks a lot Muzlim loving liberal media.

https://www.axios.com/terrorist-att...age-61a7f964-d28f-4250-b625-42eb7fa61b35.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/20/muslim-terror-attacks-press-coverage-study
Well, if all of the un-sensationalized statistics honestly portraying Muslim terrorism and violence wasn't even worse than "distorted" 15x coverage, then I'd be upset, or find cause for outrage. From the abstract:
Our results are robust against a number of counterarguments. The disparities in news coverage of attacks based on the perpetrator’s religion may explain why members of the public tend to fear the “Muslim terrorist” while ignoring other threats. More representative coverage could help to bring public perception in line with reality.
Interesting theory. I think it has more to do with their astonishing rates of violence, inhumane crimes, abuse of women, and massively disproportional commitment to terrorism that result in disproportional media coverage of it. I'd say that's parallel, and appropriate.

Thanks useless UofA professors, but your Ph.D. ilk have proven embarrassingly inferior to the acting generals in terms of issuing guidelines and ideas pertaining to my security. One might even get the idea they actually care about me, and not about what I believe.

You “never heard much of right wing attacks,” eh?

Could be because— as the study points out— the media doesn’t cover them as widely.
giphy.gif

According to that known liberal trash rag Forbes— if you subtract 9/11 (which accounts for 89% of all terrorist deaths on US soil)— right wing terrorist have killed twice as many people than Muslim terrorists in America since 1992. And 10x as many people as “left wing” terrorists.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...n-terrorist-attacks-on-u-s-soil/#232f914e1e74
I understand discounting 9/11 since its a serious outlier but at the same time don't you think that uniquely traumatic event has almost everything to do with our higher sensitivity to Islamist terror attacks? Hypothetically let's say you have 500 terror attacks by left wing terror groups over ten years which in total kill 1,000 and where no single attack killed more than three people but during the same time frame there are two right wing terror attacks which combined also kill 1,000 people. Don't you think its only natural that the latter would get more media coverage and that the nation would be more sensitive to right wing terror attacks as a result because the individual attacks are more newsworthy and traumatic?
Interesting. I find it telling that Islamist terrorism is even its own category to begin with, though. The definitions of Right Wing and Left Wing terrorism both encompass widely varying groups, like animal rights activists and black supremacists on the left or anti-abortionists and white supremacists on the right.

It would be interesting to see all of the subgroups individually, and perhaps other groupings that make some sense like grouping white and black supremacist terrorism together compared to religious terrorism together compared to political activist terrorism.

Anyway it’s all interesting to me so thanks for the share.
I don't think Islam fits neatly within the right or left wing. Sure they have some very socially conservative beliefs but they also believe in economic social justice which is traditionally a left wing idea.

Christian terrorism is classified as right wing because the religion is often just used as an identity marker for right wing groups. If a Catholic terror group which supports labor rights and anti-poverty measures committed a terrorist attack it wouldn't make sense to classify it as right wing
This changes everything. We should beg for more uneducated Muslim migrants.
What a fucking moronic thing to say. Did you have an aneurysm or something?

Well, since the period studied was 2006-2015... it’s hard to see how 9/11 explains it.

So after 9/11 and before San Bernardino and Orlando....

Fuck outta here with these cherrypicked ass numbers

Perhaps, but that doesn’t have anything to do with what’s being discussed here. But I guess bybyour metric we should also take a look at violence caused by Islam in other countries as well. That would be a better comparison. This article is about domestic terrorism.

It kinda does.

The media focuses on terrorist attacks because they sell while ignoring our violence because no one cares.

Vast majority of muslim violence is in muslim countries, don't know why we should really care at all.

I suppose the fact that there are a lot more of them doesn’t account for any of the extra reporting?

That actually should yield the exact opposite result on a per-incident basis. It makes no sense that a greater amount of something would make individual incidents more noteworthy.

Never heard much about “right wing” attacks before Trump was elected.

You're proving the OP's point.

It's been known for a long, long time that domestic right-wing terrorism outpaces left-wing and comes close to Islamic terrorism. And that's beside the point that Islamic terrorists are right-wing terrorists: Islamists are ultra-conservative fundamentalists.
terror-9.png

In terms of incidents, they're unsurprisngly most common
DHhXXDCXcAA65h_.jpg

Yet it's the least prosecuted.
terror-4.png

That actually should yield the exact opposite result on a per-incident basis. It makes no sense that a greater amount of something would make individual incidents more noteworthy.

You're proving the OP's point.

It's been known for a long, long time that domestic right-wing terrorism outpaces left-wing and comes close to Islamic terrorism. And that's beside the point that Islamic terrorists are right-wing terrorists: Islamists are ultra-conservative fundamentalists.
terror-9.png

In terms of incidents, they're unsurprisngly most common
DHhXXDCXcAA65h_.jpg

Yet it's the least prosecuted.
terror-4.png
LOL, it doesn't even remotely come close to "Islamic Terrorism" unless you limit it to our domestic borders, and you let organizations like the SLPC make the charts where they categorize Nawaz as a "right-wing" terrorist.

Well, the American populace isn't that provincial in how they view the world, anymore. All this talk of refugees "woke" them. Ain't life a bitch.

Back