Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

That's not possible. Stahl was horrendous. Furlong was great in both T2 and T23D and I'm sure he would have been essentially the same in T3. If nothing else, I would have gladly welcomed him back with open arms. I wrote the character off the instant I found out he had been recast. No one since Furlong has made me like, feel for, or appreciate the character, and that includes Bale. For me, Edward Furlong is and always will be John Connor. The only other person I accept as the character is the guy who played the older version in T2.

Hell, I would even accept Furlong in his current physical state as John Connor over literally anyone else.

Stahl's John Connor was not good, but the main problem was the script. Connor was written as a semi-inept quasi-coward. He doesn't overcome anything, solve anything, save anyone or accomplish anything. He spends the whole movie running away while The Terminator and his girlfriend solve things. There just isn't a hero to be played, and the direction didn't help matters any.

People thought that because Jonathan Mostow had directed a submarine movie that he was the guy for a Terminator movie. But it's almost impossible to make a submarine movie that doesn't look dark and mechanical. The sets are all metal and piping, and the lighting is all dark and ominous unless you paint the walls white and blast the lights like it's Saved By the Bell.

So they signed him, put him behind the camera for Terminator 3, and he shot half the thing in the day, and that's completely aside from the messed up tone and self-parody. They didn't try to make the Alien 3 version of The Terminator, they tried to make the Alien: Resurrection version. The script was written / sewn together by three people that had about as much reverence for The Terminator as Paul Feig had for Ghostbusters.

And I agree that when it comes to John Connor, there are Edward Furlong and Michael Edwards, and all others rest in peace.

Last edited:
I disagree. I thought T3 was the worst of the bunch.

Terminator-3-3.jpg

tumblr_ng62toeDe91tai218o1_400.gif

Cringeworthy
Arguable. It's a populist franchise, and when it comes to populist franchises, the people tend to almost always get it right:
  • 8.5 = Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  • 8.0 = Terminator
  • 6.6 = Terminator: Salvation
  • 6.5 = Terminator: Genisys
  • 6.3 = Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
If you stand back, though, the real takeaway from the above is that there are two Terminator movies that count, that are canon, and then there's 10 feet of shit that we're all ready to see thrown out.

Terrible. Who ever said movies necessarily need laughs to be entertaining?

I believe that quote is originally credited to Master Sergeant William Candy.

T3 > Salvation

Don't play dumb. Salvation was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen in my life. Fuck that film.
Salvation had so much potential too. On paper, it really had a lot going for it. In practice, I'm not sure what happened.

I read on reddit that there's a fan edit that removes all the corny stuff and makes it more like t1 and t2 called the coming storm but it seems to have vanished from the internet.

I read on reddit that there's a fan edit that removes all the corny stuff and makes it more like t1 and t2 called the coming storm but it seems to have vanished from the internet.
Nice:
https://ifdb.fanedit.org/terminator-3-the-coming-storm/
LOL, it's getting a 9.3 rating on that website. Maybe these studios should start letting Everyday Joes handle the editing "final say" decisions.

You can still find it on the high seas, at least.

It removes the stupidest and corniest stuff, and it is an improvement, but it's still limited by what was actually filmed to be edited. Credit goes to Everyday Joe Smithee for recognizing what shouldn't have been there, but the edit doesn't (and can't) bring the movie to a level where it contributes to the franchise.

The same treatment has been given to Highlander 2 and the Star Wars prequels, and the sad truth is that you just can't make a good movie out of something that was unknowingly but intentionally written and filmed to be a bad movie.

If they aren't already, I'm sure recreational editors will attempt to cobble together something sensible out of Batman v Superman and realize along the way that they can only do so much.

Last edited:
Yeah I liked Salvation actually. I'd probably give it a 7.3/10, it wasn't bad and I enjoyed some of what it was trying to do. This is what I'd probably rate the Terminator movies:

Terminator: 9.4/10
Terminator 2: 9.7/10
Terminator 3: 5.8/10
Terminator Salvation: 7.3/10
Terminator Genysis: 6.6/10

I always envisioned an epic T3 that was set in the future with humans battling machines and dealing with everything that happens after the time traveling attempts by the machines to kill John were thwarted. Basically the futuristic battle scenes from the first 2 movies but a whole movie of them.

After the story of T2 there was really no reason for anybody to go back to the past again, I think that was what I disliked about T3 story. Yeah, they destroyed the microchip and the arm in the end of part 2 but the machines taking over was something that happened anyways, all they did was destroy the stuff that was sent back in the first movie, delaying the inevitable, not completely preventing it since they didn't snuff out the source of the original machines that sent back the first Terminator.

Last edited:
I actually also liked Genysis better than T3, though I went into Genysis with far lower expectations and it turned out to be not nearly bad as I thought it would be, with T3 it was the other way around. Don't get me wrong, Genysis is still a joke of a Terminator movie but I actually ended up enjoying it some. T3 is just a miserable piece of shit.

latest

Is it just me or was this one of the most disappointing movies ever? I was pretty hyped for T3 for so long, and then was so utterly disappointed by what we got. Whoever casted and directed this needs to be horsewhipped. CGI also is crazy bad, like the CGI from T2 in 1991 is better, how is that even possible? What the fuck happened with this movie?!?! It's like my hate grows for it every time I watch it.

It has a Good Ballsy ending to let the apocalypse happen. But the rest of the movie is so terrible it doesn't deserve such a well thought out ending.

I remember thinking this wasn't that bad, not even close as great as the first two, but not downright awful. I liked it better than the Christian Bale one. Haven't watched the latest one, but I hear it's bad.

"Let off some steam!"

"You're fired!"

"Ice to see you!"

"You've just been erased!"

I'm not even sure "Ice to see you" is really an Arnold line. I think you're getting it confused with Rainier Wolfcastle from the Simpsons.

I liked it. Not even close to as good as it's predecessors, but it was solid and had some nice moments. The story is all too familiar, and is nothing without it's brilliant ending, but the action is superb. The two leads are a big problem, as they have no chemistry, and just really seem out of place, but Arnie holds down the fort.

It's not perfect, but better than it's given credit for. More "status quo" than bad, and be honest, with each passing sequel, it looks better and better.

"Terminator Salvation", now that was a turd, and disappointing on so many levels. Had all the pieces to take the franchise in the direction it needed to go. Had a great cast, with the story so many people wanted to see from the franchise. One problem though, they handed the directorial duties to a supreme hack, and well, that was that.

I remember thinking this wasn't that bad, not even close as great as the first two, but not downright awful. I liked it better than the Christian Bale one. Haven't watched the latest one, but I hear it's bad.

TG is better than Salvation for it's action, that's for damn sure. It actually feels like a Terminator flick in that regard. The absurd, needless, not in a good way complex, time jumping story line is what kills it.

TG is better than Salvation for it's action, that's for damn sure. It actually feels like a Terminator flick in that regard. The absurd, needless, not in a good way complex, time jumping story line is what kills it.

The first twenty minutes of Genisys and Arnold's performance throughout are better than anything in either T3 or T4. But the movie is still bad overall.

I don't know why they didn't just make that first twenty minutes into the whole movie.

Nexus points.

Back