Terence Crawford's career development

stuff jones

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Do you think his career is being well managed? I don't. He's clearly one of the most talented fighters in the sport and at 29 with a refined skills should be fighting multiple fights against the best. Yet his only notable win is Postal. Before that he was matched up mostly against fighters much smaller than him.

By 29 Floyd and Manny had fought multiple big time fighters. Floyd, who Crawford is about the same size as, had already moved up to WW which is where I think Crawford needs to be soon to get the attention his talent deserves.

Why has he been brought along so slowly?

Nope...not at all. He's an undefeated talent, and has been in a few fire fights and entertaining bouts.

I find this guy very entertaining.

He lacks the charisma of Mayweather and others like Prince Hamed.

Maybe he needs to reinvent himself, like play the villain, or even talk mad $hit after every fight.

It doesn't really seem like too many guys are beating the door down to get in the ring with Crawford.

Guys like him and GGG have to take what they can get until better opportunities finally pan out.

It doesn't really seem like too many guys are beating the door down to get in the ring with Crawford.

Guys like him and GGG have to take what they can get until better opportunities finally pan out.

He's got WW size - why doesn't he move up there where there's much more big names?

He's got WW size - why doesn't he move up there where there's much more big names?
As long as Arum refuses to put his guys on Showtime, there's no point. HBO won't pay the PBC guys the money they would want to fight a dangerous guy like Crawford.

Plus, like GGG, Crawford is aiming to unify all the belts at the weight he is at now.

He should be calling guys out and pressuring them. He should be calling out Pac, Broner, Thurman and so forth until they cant go through an interview without being asked about him.

I wouldn't say he's being brought along slowly. LW and JWW aren't exactly the most talent stacked divisions. He fought Postol, who was the clear second best at the time. I guess he could jump to WW, but there's no need for it.

I wouldn't say he's being brought along slowly. LW and JWW aren't exactly the most talent stacked divisions. He fought Postol, who was the clear second best at the time. I guess he could jump to WW, but there's no need for it.

He is but supple, as well as beautifully crafted delicious black flesh that is being marinated accordingly. The best tasting flesh has to be prepared a certain way and can only be tasted in brief moments towards the pinnacle of ones existence. He will swell in due time Mr Fist. Just allow the process to happen before your mouth is ready to accept what will go inside of it. Legendary Flesh like Mr Mayweather didn't ripen in a day...

He's established himself as the undisputed best fighter in two weight classes. It would seem like WW would make the most sense at this point, but TR don't have many options there.

Do you think his career is being well managed? I don't. He's clearly one of the most talented fighters in the sport and at 29 with a refined skills should be fighting multiple fights against the best. Yet his only notable win is Postal. Before that he was matched up mostly against fighters much smaller than him.

By 29 Floyd and Manny had fought multiple big time fighters. Floyd, who Crawford is about the same size as, had already moved up to WW which is where I think Crawford needs to be soon to get the attention his talent deserves.

Why has he been brought along so slowly?
He's being moved poorly. His best win that most people saw was against a guy who should be fighting at 130 pounds and his coming out party at 140 ended up on a PPV that no one bought.

Bob is just using him as a name to keep people interested in Pacquiao. He would have better luck if he dropped Top Rank.

He's established himself as the undisputed best fighter in two weight classes. It would seem like WW would make the most sense at this point, but TR don't have many options there.
Crawford should get the same respect for trying to unify the division as any other fighter with the same goal(won't name any names;)). Any fighter looking at moving up in weight will do so when they feel it's right.

Crawford should get the same respect for trying to unify the division as any other fighter with the same goal(won't name any names;)). Any fighter looking at moving up in weight will do so when they feel it's right.

Except that he's got WW size and is 29 whereas GGG has MW size and is nearly 35. Otherwise spot on.

He was fighting midgets until a year or two ago.

He's been given a soft touch which other guys his size and his apparent skill level were not.

It's pretty pathetic that anyone who truly wants to unify the belts at pretty much any weight class ends up stuck in the mud with a seemingly stalled career because belt holders and different managers can't ever come together and make proper fights anymore. So they end up fighting unknown mandatory opponents(at least the ones who are willing to fight)and waiting ages for so-called champs to drop belts and play Chutes and Ladders with weight classes to avoid them.

And I'm not blaming Crawford at all. He's one of my favorite fighters. I just want to see the best brought out of him, to see him pushed and given a chance to establish his greatness. I don't think he's like Wilder who is raw despite his age and needed to be developed slowly. He's super talented and skilled and at nearly 30 should be matched up vs the best regularly.

Him vs Felix Diaz would be a nice start. But I read somewhere Arum poo pooing that saying Diaz was boring.

And I'm not blaming Crawford at all. He's one of my favorite fighters. I just want to see the best brought out of him, to see him pushed and given a chance to establish his greatness. I don't think he's like Wilder who is raw despite his age and needed to be developed slowly. He's super talented and skilled and at nearly 30 should be matched up vs the best regularly.

Him vs Felix Diaz would be a nice start. But I read somewhere Arum poo pooing that saying Diaz was boring.
Crawford isn't raw at all. He fought guys as amateurs who are elite level pros now.

I've never got the impression he's transitioned to the pros like some other guys who were amateur standouts at the same time.

Crawford isn't raw at all. He fought guys as amateurs who are elite level pros now.

I've never got the impression he's transitioned to the pros like some other guys who were amateur standouts at the same time.

Yeah that's my point, he's not raw so I don't know why he's been coddled so much. He's in his prime and super skilled and gifted.

He's already clearly the king of his division. He's the lineal champion and a unified titleholder (WBC, WBO). In a month from now, another JWW unification bout is scheduled between Ricky Burns (who he already holds a win over for the WBO title at Lightweight) and Julius Indongo (the cherry pick gone wrong that knocked out Troya in less than a minute over in Russia). The WBA, IBF and IBO belts are on the line for that unification bout. The winner will become the other unified titleholder in the division. He can fight the winner and the victor will become the undisputed champion. He beats "TBA" next and then gets the winner of Burns-Indongo to truly become Undisputed by holding all 4 major alphabet world titles.

He's smart to stay put for his next 2-3 or so fights before moving up. Undisputed champions these days don't even exist anymore. He could easily become the next one possibly this year or early next year depending on whether either one has their mandos immediately enforced (Lipinets has been waiting in the wings on the IBF's side). He can move up to WW after he accomplishes that historic feat, which is within his reach if the other unified titleholder (assuming their titles are still fully intact and not stripped for not facing a mando) is willing to play ball for all the marbles.

Last edited:
Casuals don't know who Terence Crawford is.
Crossover appeal isn't a formula.

Back