Tempo changes

Superhet

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Very rarely, you'll get Rogan or Stann commenting on how someone is "changing/switching tempo", "lulling them to sleep" and the likes. Can you guys think of any fighters in particular who incorporate tempo changes consistently in their style? I'm talking more than just the rhytm of combinations, it's overall movement.

Gennady Golovkin and Andy Ristie immediately come to mind. Andre Ward is pretty good at it.

The best is probably Guillermo Rigondeaux when he just taps his opponents lead gloves for seemingly hours to the point where they forget that he can still hit them

In MMA, McGregor is a good example.

While he usually works from a fluid "baseline" of easy torso/head movement that doesn't commit weight one way or the other, he will occasionally settle into a very traditional boxing or TKD shuffle, deep stance and all; something like a basic version of Kenny Weldon's idea of "getting into your rhythm" with wider foot placement and lower elevation. It's one of the more overt tempo changes you'll see. He also mixes in a lot of "fast twitch/flinch" feints.

Conor changes the speed of his punches very well, which changes the tempo of the combination. He's also big into showing punches with no intention of landing, which plays into his tempo strategy.

In his second fight with Diaz, Conor was accused of "running" but he was just creating space to start over again, which is a good way to mentally reset if you get caught up in one rhythm.

Im gona go ahead and say that the king of modulating his tempo for devastating effect in mma right now, is Yoel Romero.

Only what hes doing is not something that pays off between exchanges, but between entire rounds of the whole fight.

Im gona go ahead and say that the king of modulating his tempo for devastating effect in mma right now, is Yoel Romero.

Only what hes doing is not something that pays off between exchanges, but between entire rounds of the whole fight.

Rogan is absolutely obsessed with pointing this out, to the point it's extremely annoying. Also leg kicks are effective, we get it.

Rogan is absolutely obsessed with pointing this out, to the point it's extremely annoying. Also leg kicks are effective, we get it.

joe-rogans-top-best-ufc-mma-quotes.jpg

Maywheater has a very slick right hand and changes often the speed with which he trows it confusing the heck out of his opponents.

That choke is DEEP! *dude effortlessly escapes*

"Look at how he just threw him with the uchi mata Mike."

"GREAT uchi mata there"

"he just DUMPed him with that uchi mata"

"Perfect technique on that UCHI MATA mike"

Fuckin Romero literally changes the tempo of entire fights with his patented stalling techniques between rounds.

Fedor was a rpm´s Master. He allways reminded me a motor in neutral but with the rpm´s in the red line , allways ready to shift to gear and/or back to neutral. For me, his balance between calmness, relaxation, foccus, intensity and ferocity, was just jaw dropping to watch and admire. Allways has been.
Elegant&Wild, what a sick combination !!

Fuckin Romero literally changes the tempo of entire fights with his patented stalling techniques between rounds.

That Chris Weidman fight pisses me off so much. Romero gets completely dominated and then I guess they had a gentleman's agreement to make head knee contact.

Very rarely, you'll get Rogan or Stann commenting on how someone is "changing/switching tempo", "lulling them to sleep" and the likes. Can you guys think of any fighters in particular who incorporate tempo changes consistently in their style? I'm talking more than just the rhytm of combinations, it's overall movement.

Lomachenko loves to throw a few light, medium speed shots and then bury a fast one.

That Chris Weidman fight pisses me off so much. Romero gets completely dominated and then I guess they had a gentleman's agreement to make head knee contact.

He's easily the fighter I hate watching the most. It disgusts me that he'll probably end up MW champion.

Back