Teminator vs Terminator 2 - Alien vs Aliens

Two of the rare examples of where a sequel outdoes the original. Evil Dead is another example.

Alien > The Terminator > Terminator 2 > Aliens

All are fantastic though.

I don't really like to compare them, as they are completely different genres. but, my number 1 recurring nightmare is getting chased by a Terminator.

The cool factor of T2 has waned for me, the last few years - the series is so much better as a horror/thriller. a Terminators not supposed to be cool and saving the day.

Kinda the opposite with Aliens. the sequel did a great job with the lore and better suits the creature(s). everyone wanted to see more of the Alien and it wouldn't have been right to have it constantly crossing paths with people that were pretty much always defenseless ala slashers. it really feels like a natural progression while Terminator was just no one(and studios) wanting to see Arnie as a villain anymore.

I'd almost put Terminator and Alien in the horror genre, T2 action, and Aliens Sci fi.

I was like 11 when T2 came out and saw it in theatres. I caught FEELS for when arnold bit the big one,and the ending scene of the commentary with the shot of the road,the fact that they were still fugitives from everything,stuck with me.

I was like 11 when T2 came out and saw it in theatres. I caught FEELS for when arnold bit the big one,and the ending scene of the commentary with the shot of the road,the fact that they were still fugitives from everything,stuck with me.

Men are allowed to cry two times in their lives: Rocky 3 and Terminator 2.

Men are allowed to cry two times in their lives: Rocky 3 and Terminator 2.

I mean its funny..first your mind is blown that the Terminator is now a good guy somehow,and just when your settling into that (admittedly as a kid,i was thinking this is AWESOME) then,they take him away from you,and your like WHAT?! ARE YOU FUCKIN KIDDING ME!! HE DOESNT HAVE TO KILL HIMSELF!?

Its only when you get older,and rewatch the first one,your like damn.....i miss THAT evil arnold. You dont get Arnold as the bad guy ever,except for that movie,and now he is just too popular and well known to play the villain. Obviously Mr Freeze is just Arnold in a costume pretending to be Mr Freeze.

I mean its funny..first your mind is blown that the Terminator is now a good guy somehow,and just when your settling into that (admittedly as a kid,i was thinking this is AWESOME) then,they take him away from you,and your like WHAT?! ARE YOU FUCKIN KIDDING ME!! HE DOESNT HAVE TO KILL HIMSELF!?

Its only when you get older,and rewatch the first one,your like damn.....i miss THAT evil arnold. You dont get Arnold as the bad guy ever,except for that movie,and now he is just too popular and well known to play the villain. Obviously Mr Freeze is just Arnold in a costume pretending to be Mr Freeze.

James Cameron is a master. Taking something as evil as the original T-800 and making people cry because they don't want him to die is something I don't think I've seen anyone else achieve in any film series.

James Cameron is a master. Taking something as evil as the original T-800 and making people cry because they don't want him to die is something I don't think I've seen anyone else achieve in any film series.
Yeah he pulled a ridiculous swerve. The WWE should hire him.

He was smart to realize that by then they didnt WANT to see Arnold as a bad guy in 1991...but they did WANT Terminator,and they did want Arnold,and boy did he deliver. Also like someone else said in the thread,we allready know what the terminator is,so there isnt a shock anymore,so they had to go a different route,just as he did with Aliens.

Rob Zombie did something similar in the Devils Rejects,where he made a movie with a bunch of sadistic murderers,and then humanised them enough mid movie that you wanted to root for them against the cop who was only trying to stop these people who had killed his brother.

Rob Zombie did something similar in the Devils Rejects,where he made a movie with a bunch of sadistic murderers,and then humanised them enough mid movie that you wanted to root for them against the cop who was only trying to stop these people who had killed his brother.

I liked the Devil's Rejects but I sure as hell didn't get choked up at the end. And I guess the counterpart would be making the audience love them after a full film of never being humanized.

But yeah, that was Rob Zombie's best movie by a good margin in my opinion. In another thread I called it Thelma and Louise for sadists. It's a strange thing to want to make, but he did it effectively.

I liked the Devil's Rejects but I sure as hell didn't get choked up at the end. And I guess the counterpart would be making the audience love them after a full film of never being humanized.

But yeah, that was Rob Zombie's best movie by a good margin in my opinion. In another thread I called it Thelma and Louise for sadists. It's a strange thing to want to make, but he did it effectively.

Well its not EXACTLY the same,you dont get choked up,but you kinda want them to get away with it,even though they are terrible people,who'd just as soon torture and kill you. Yes its his best movie. I thought the Halloween remake was OK,esp cos he used Brad Douriff in it,but its really just like any other halloween movie,with added depth due to his new backstory in the beggining. Didnt see the second one,or any of his movies after.

Best to worst in my own opinion, with them all being great films. Alien and Aliens are genre defining films to me.

Alien
Aliens
Terminator
Terminator 2

Theres an underrated scene in Aliens where Hicks is running,with ripley i think,and the camera follow him and he runs,turns around right into the camera,and changes his mind and turns the other way. It was really strange,I dont remember a movie ever doing that.

Ah yeah! Will definitely be in line on opening weekend! (I hope it's the T-Cut and not the Special Edition)

terminator-2-3d-poster.jpg

I feel as though the movies and their respective sequels are apples and oranges - you can't really compare them because their intentions are so different from one another. But ironically enough, Alien has strong parallels with Terminator and Aliens with T2.

In the original movies, you have inexperienced, civilian victims (Sarah Connor, Ripley &crew) against an unstoppable force of evil. In the sequels the heroes have more knowledge and weaponry on their side (Arnold's good Terminator, the Colonial Marines) but Cameron wanted to show just how much the stakes had risen because, in spite of their seemingly advantageous position, the heroes still have to struggle to accomplish their objectives.

As a result, the tone of the sequels shifts from something that is horror-based, to more of an action-based premise. As an audience, in the first movies we are asking ourselves "what" is after them. In the sequels, we know what is after them, so we are now asking "how" they are going to win.
This is excellent, and it's also part of the reason why I prefer the first movie in both cases. It's also why, upon rewatching them, I realized I like Alien 3 (recut) better than Aliens, even if it's less iconic.

I love them all, though, don't get me wrong, but the feeling of despair and hopelessness that permates the two franchise-starters are part of makes them exceptional for me.

Theres an underrated scene in Aliens where Hicks is running,with ripley i think,and the camera follow him and he runs,turns around right into the camera,and changes his mind and turns the other way. It was really strange,I dont remember a movie ever doing that.

Yeah that was a good shot, right after they lose Newt. Nothing fancy, just a little something extra to add to the claustrophobia and lack of options.

All four are amazing movies. Deciding between the Terminator movies is a bit harder for me, but I think I lean more to the first one.

As for the Alien movies, without a doubt giving it to Aliens. Not saying Alien isn't great, but Aliens is my shit. I think I first watched it when I was 14, and the whole sequence of Ripley strapping the guns together, going into the nest to save Newt, making it back, Bishop getting torn in half, the Queen reappearing, Ripley getting in the machine suit thing and going toe to toe with the Alien blew my friggin' mind when I first saw that. Honestly, I don't know if there's a more bad ass sequence in any action/horror movie than that.

Not to mention the, "Get away from her, you bitch!" line almost put me in a coma because my young brain couldn't handle the awesomeness.

All four are amazing movies. Deciding between the Terminator movies is a bit harder for me, but I think I lean more to the first one.

As for the Alien movies, without a doubt giving it to Aliens. Not saying Alien isn't great, but Aliens is my shit. I think I first watched it when I was 14, and the whole sequence of Ripley strapping the guns together, going into the nest to save Newt, making it back, Bishop getting torn in half, the Queen reappearing, Ripley getting in the machine suit thing and going toe to toe with the Alien blew my friggin' mind when I first saw that. Honestly, I don't know if there's a more bad ass sequence in any action/horror movie than that.

Not to mention the, "Get away from her, you bitch!" line almost put me in a coma because my young brain couldn't handle the awesomeness.

Very few movie keep upping the stakes and scale of awesomeness as continually as Aliens. Halfway through your mind is already blown by the exponentially higher scale compared to Alien, and then Cameron keeps ramping it up and up until the very end. It's a long ass movie that feels short because it keeps escalating.

Back