Tell us the time you were addicted to video games

Ultima online was my biggest addiction. Couldnt wait to get home to play it. Didnt shower for like 1 week while playing it.

Warcraft 3 and WoW will probably remain in the top 3. Diablo 2 as well. Used to play those games a lot in the past. WoW used to play 8 hours a day in a working week, and 16 hours a day during weekend for a year.

These days I play on and off various games. Working day session is anywhere between 30 min to 2 hours and up to 4 hours on weekend.

Am i getting old? Nah. Lack of good games to play.

I quit smoking cigs because I couldn't smoke indoors and I refused to stop grinding in WOTLK. I wanted to be first end-game Shaman on server, I ended up in Top 10 though!

For the first 48 hours of launch I slept maybe 8 hours and completely lost interest in smoking. One session was about 18h straight. I remember by day four (by now grinding gear) I started to get disgusted with my girlfriend because she tasted like smoke....She was probably disgusted because I hadn't showered or brushed my teeth and was wearing a blanket like a poncho the entire time when I was awake, even walking around and to the bathroom.

Yeah, WoW was a game I looked at and said, "Nah, that shit'll kill me."

The most time and addicted socom 2 for sure. Runscape (classic) twisted metal 2, goldeneye007 mariokart, But yea Socom 2 was called Socrack for a reason all the game battle matches, sometimes missing work and staying up 3-4 hours until I had to work. Miss that

Yeah, WoW was a game I looked at and said, "Nah, that shit'll kill me."

Same. I’ve been gaming since the 80s but I’ve never even touched any MMORPG before. When I was in junior high and Everquest first came out I heard too many stories about “Evercrack” causing players’ lives to fall apart, from dropping out of school, losing their jobs and/or getting divorced.

I didn’t want to risk it so I’ve intentionally avoided the genre completely for 20 years.

I gave my life to Killzone 1 on Ps2 in 2005-2006.

Modern Warfare came out my senior year of high school and I probably skipped half the year to stay at home and do Game Battles haha.

Same. I’ve been gaming since the 80s but I’ve never even touched any MMORPG before. When I was in junior high and Everquest first came out I heard too many stories about “Evercrack” causing players’ lives to fall apart, from dropping out of school, losing their jobs and/or getting divorced.

I didn’t want to risk it so I’ve intentionally avoided the genre completely for 20 years.

It was the greatest time to be a gamer in the history of gaming. Nothing to this day has ever even come close to scratching the itch that vanilla WoW did. It's still amazing funnily enough, playing on the private servers still has that vanilla feel.

Played final fantasy xi for like 18 hours a day for a couple of years instead of going to university, and then played it in most of my spare time for like 8 more years.

cancled a few dates and chances getting laid because i was playing Battlefield 2 and bunch of other games. for sure have had a girl unplug a computer or 2 just so she could get some dick. lol

Dragon Age: Origins was an absolute life-stealer for me. Turns out, The Witcher 3 is rivaling it, but I have more responsibilities now to keep me in check.

The first game I was addicted to and grinded on was Final Fantasy II or III. Had to get all my characters to level 99, get all the items (that I knew of no pink tails), defeat all the optional bosses (fuck bahamut) and find every secret.. this was a time long before leaderboards and achievements/trophies too. I did it just cause I was a fan of the game and needed something to do for end game material.

Okay. I'll tell you about the time I was pretty close to being able to call myself addicted to a video game. It was a stand up run jump shoot game from Japan called Legend of Hero Tonma, a cute little character with a cape who could shoot fireballs. Run right, collect items, kill bad guys, beat the final boss of many boards.

But for some reason on the very last bored, I could never beat the final boss. All it was, was cannons on either side of the board firing in multiple directions such that the whole screen was filled with fireballs criss-crossing each other.

I never beat the final board. Eventually I gave up.

Warcraft 3 and WoW will probably remain in the top 3. Diablo 2 as well. Used to play those games a lot in the past. WoW used to play 8 hours a day in a working week, and 16 hours a day during weekend for a year.

These days I play on and off various games. Working day session is anywhere between 30 min to 2 hours and up to 4 hours on weekend.

Am i getting old? Nah. Lack of good games to play.

I was so addicted to Diablo 2 LoD and Vanilla. Must of put 1000s of hours into it. My first true online game, I was hardcore addicted too. Never played hardcore though, fuck that.

Left when the duping got really bad and ruststorms slowed down and ladders just got boring. Had a beast MFing level 92 Sorc named Melisandre. Would run Hell Baal and Mephisto solo with her all the time. The bots run by other players tainted my experience late with the game. People were grinding afk getting Tal Rashas and Immortal Kings and flipping them for duped SoJs and I was busting my ass with my Meteor/Orb Sorc grinding away.

The last straw was all the duped runeword items and Zods floating around. PvP was a joke cause of all the dupers on closed.

I think by that point I was ready to move on and most of my friends already had too.

Great memories though with that game.

First MUD
Then played Everquest a bit
Then WoW

There's been many, but I don't think any as much as the Fight Night series.

For those that know the games ive made myself, it's probably no surprise that Fight Night was a big influence on me, the physics based combat system was amazing.

I got so good at Fight Night 2 in particular that there was no point playing it anymore, legit people could not hit me, AI or player. I could stand in front of someone with no guard and slip all their punches. Used to infuriate people. I remember losing to my brother intentionally many times because I felt bad.

Besides that, Fallout NV + Fallout 4, Final Fantasy 7, 7 Days to Die, Runescape, PUBG.

Has to be WoW for me. I think other games like Diablo II, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc have gotten the same amount of daily hours out of me, but WoW did it for so goddamn long.

I remember a dated this girl who told me how WoW made her divorce her husband. Dude was straight up addicted. He wouldn't go with her and the kids to Disneyland unless she installed WoW on her laptop. He'd be playing it in bed and she said it was keeping her awake so he literally took it into the bathroom.

First MUD
Then played Everquest a bit
Then WoW
Fuck, MUD. I was in school for computer science so that shit was like an alcoholic working in a liquor store. Literally every computer with internet was a time vortex.

For that reason I never even touched an MMO since. I've sunk many an hour into other games since (Mechwarrior 2, CS, GRID), but nothing has approached the sheer compulsion of having to log on and grind exp.

Fuck, MUD. I was in school for computer science so that shit was like an alcoholic working in a liquor store. Literally every computer with internet was a time vortex.

For that reason I never even touched an MMO since. I've sunk many an hour into other games since (Mechwarrior 2, CS, GRID), but nothing has approached the sheer compulsion of having to log on and grind exp.

I hear you. MUD almost wrecked my life back in the day. I still play on the same DikuMUD where I started, but now mostly as an admin.

Back