Tell me about Joe Moreira

nbo10

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
There is a Joe Moreira affiliated school down the road from me, is it worth checking out?

why not?

just be careful with "affiliations". some people claim to be affiliated and they are not.

take the free class and see if you like it

There is a Joe Moreira affiliated school down the road from me, is it worth checking out?

Don't know. Have no idea where "down the road" from you is? No idea who the instructor is? No idea of the facility? Need a bit more info.

I say this because "down the road" from me is Roy Harris who is a 4th degree black belt under Joe Moreira. If that happens to be the case you should be asking about Roy Harris, not necessarily the fact that he might be affiliated with Joe Moreira.

Last edited:
Where I've trained is Moreira lineage and takes a lot of influence from his crushing top game. That's not to say all affiliates will though.

Why not tell us the gym you are considering though, and research them instead of Joe?

Whenever you're asking someone to do your homework for you, at least help them out with a subject and page number.....

I trained with Joe for a long time. He's an amazing teacher with amazing techniques. If you can train with him even for a day, consider yourself lucky.

That said, not all of his affiliations are going to be great since he's produced so many blackbelts. I agree with everyone else, tell us the school name and we'll give you more info.

Joe Moreira is himself a great practitioner of jiu jitsu, and a great instructor. He is, however, an advocate of the technique blast, where he will show you a lot of techniques. It's kind of crazy.
He does have questionable business practices though, so some of his black belts are excellent (Roy Harris, Michael Jen) and some of them are of questionable merit (Kimo, Marco Ruas). Also it's hard to get ibjjf acknowledgement, the ibjjf pretty much will not honor black belts from the Joe Moreira lineage.

great bjj guy and instructor but I find some of his bb promotions a tad suspect
Kimo really?

I've trained under a Joe Moreira black belt, "Pistol" Pete Loncarevich. Pete is an awesome instructor and I'm assuming that is a reflection of Joe's teaching abilities. I've never trained with Joe before but have met him and he seems to be a very nice guy. He is one of the guys who is responsible for spreading bjj in the US. You should give the school a try.

hes a cool ass motherfucker. he even fought in the UFC back in the golden age of the UFC when it wasn't filled with douchebags so hes a motherfucking original.

I was concerned because their website has a very Mcdojo'ish feel, but the front of the gym looks like any other normal bjj gym. Unfortunately after visiting I can confirm that the school is a complete Mcdojo. One of the instructor told me before class that I'm free to try out a class, but since I have trained before there is probably a better school in the area for me.

I was super nice and respectful during the class and went light during the sparring. I was paired up with a "black belt" that has been training for 10 years. The guy was just bad. He didn't know proper posture for half guard, and couldn't pass guard to save his life. During one of the rolls I started in bottom-side control and slide my knee to his hip. He tried running around me, all he did ended up doing was spin me around while I rotated on my back. After about 5 times around, I got dizzy and thought I was going to puke. Now that I think about it, that might be a pretty slick submission. Spin your opponent around till he wants to puke. During the entire sparring session one of the instructor stood over me watching me, it was kinda creepy. At the end of the last roll the black belt I was rolling with told me that I'll probably find a better school some where else. After the class ended the three instructors disappeared to the back. I waited around a bit to talk to them, but it kinda became obvious they didn't want to talk.

I'm disappointed that the school sucks because it's a 5 minute walk from my house and would have been super convenient. But I'm more disappointed that these people are representing our sport. And I feel bad for the guys that are training there and don't realize that the jiu jitsu they are learning isn't that good.

I was concerned because their website has a very Mcdojo'ish feel, but the front of the gym looks like any other normal bjj gym. Unfortunately after visiting I can confirm that the school is a complete Mcdojo. One of the instructor told me before class that I'm free to try out a class, but since I have trained before there is probably a better school in the area for me.

I was super nice and respectful during the class and went light during the sparring. I was paired up with a "black belt" that has been training for 10 years. The guy was just bad. He didn't know proper posture for half guard, and couldn't pass guard to save his life. During one of the rolls I started in bottom-side control and slide my knee to his hip. He tried running around me, all he did ended up doing was spin me around while I rotated on my back. After about 5 times around, I got dizzy and thought I was going to puke. Now that I think about it, that might be a pretty slick submission. Spin your opponent around till he wants to puke. During the entire sparring session one of the instructor stood over me watching me, it was kinda creepy. At the end of the last roll the black belt I was rolling with told me that I'll probably find a better school some where else. After the class ended the three instructors disappeared to the back. I waited around a bit to talk to them, but it kinda became obvious they didn't want to talk.

I'm disappointed that the school sucks because it's a 5 minute walk from my house and would have been super convenient. But I'm more disappointed that these people are representing our sport. And I feel bad for the guys that are training there and don't realize that the jiu jitsu they are learning isn't that good.

It's a shame you had a bad experience.

Since you don't have any close contacts at the gym you should put up the location and instructor names so we grapplers can be aware for future reference..

Since you don't have any close contacts at the gym you should put up the location and instructor names so we grapplers can be aware for future reference..

Livermore Martial Arts Academy.

well, all I know is he holds a submission victory by TERROR, so he must be on scary guy... seriusly guys, what the hell is submission by terror?

well, all I know is he holds a submission victory by TERROR, so he must be on scary guy... seriusly guys, what the hell is submission by terror?

I read that he hit Joe Son once and then Son said he didn't want to fight anymore

Didn't he scare Joe Son into submission?

I read that he hit Joe Son once and then Son said he didn't want to fight anymore

well, that could be true, its pretty hilarius though... submission by terror... lol

Livermore Martial Arts Academy.

what belt are they wearing when running their BJJ classes?

"Saturdays

800-845am Fitness Kickboxing

Private Lessons and birthday parties by appointment"

I find it amazing that these people told you you will probably find better training somewhere else.
yuno.jpg

Y THEY NO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE TOO?

Back