Tefl in Asian countries

Reminds me of a guy who was so vocal on his Chinese stereotypes even though he'd never been there. Yet he'd say China was like this and that with such strong conviction. Seemed strange to me, and rather simple-minded.
Simple minded eh? That's kind of rude but whatever.. Keep in mind that I started the thread asking for input and not as an authority on the subject. I also linked a video regarding the dog eating practice which was made by someone who's lived in China for a few years.

Why are interracial relationships so frowned upon? I live in southern California and there are many Asians here. It's my preference. What's the deal

you can make more money in Cali being a substitute teacher than doing this

Simple minded eh? That's kind of rude but whatever.. Keep in mind that I started the thread asking for input and not as an authority on the subject. I also linked a video regarding the dog eating practice which was made by someone who's lived in China for a few years.
Not you, bro, this guy just went on a rampage of how China was, having never been there, and spoke with such authority on the matter. You coo.

Not you, bro, this guy just went on a rampage of how China was, having never been there, and spoke with such authority on the matter. You coo.
Oh ok, didn't mean to jump the gun{<jimmies}

Cost of living difference though
Not only that, living overseas was a great experience for me. I met a group of people who think differently from me; and it helped me to be more understanding of cultural differences. At the core, we're all just people trying our best to be happy and enjoy life.

You could live in your 'Great wall'.

you can make more money in Cali being a substitute teacher than doing this
Not gonna watch video, but I'm certain someone doing entry-level TEFL in Vietnam would have a substantially higher standard of living than a substitute teacher in any state.

Banchan?

Ton of people I know are esl teachers in Korea. Korea seems to have more restrictions than other countries and there is a narrative that many of them are losers with criminal tendencies and no prospects in their home country so they come to Korea. Korea also has a tendency to restrict their employees in principle. More working hours, less vacations, less freedom in how you do your job, worker's rights aren't always protected so employers try to screw over their employees, etc. But still, it pays alright and most employers provide housing and reimburse your flight to and from your home country. Lot of people seem to stuck in the lifestyle as well though but that's up to you.

I met this one guy in Hanoi who works as a ESL teacher and I have been considering it. The pay isn't as high as some places but the cost of living is cheap so it's easy to save money.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that seems like a strange thing to lead with. I feel like a relatively small percentage of the population occasionally eats dog. Like, if that was something you wanted to seek out to try there, you could find it for sure, but it's not something you will be subjected to in your daily life. Cruelty to animals is also bad, but again, largely avoidable. Bad pollution will be the biggest issue by far that you listed.
Dude must think chinese people try force feed you dog wherever you go.

Banchan?

Ton of people I know are esl teachers in Korea. Korea seems to have more restrictions than other countries and there is a narrative that many of them are losers with criminal tendencies and no prospects in their home country so they come to Korea. Korea also has a tendency to restrict their employees in principle. More working hours, less vacations, less freedom in how you do your job, worker's rights aren't always protected so employers try to screw over their employees, etc. But still, it pays alright and most employers provide housing and reimburse your flight to and from your home country. Lot of people seem to stuck in the lifestyle as well though but that's up to you.

I met this one guy in Hanoi who works as a ESL teacher and I have been considering it. The pay isn't as high as some places but the cost of living is cheap so it's easy to save money.
No, some guy I knew IRL, but I guess my anecdote can apply to many people.

Why are interracial relationships so frowned upon? I live in southern California and there are many Asians here. It's my preference. What's the deal

Dude i'm a white guy married to a Chinese girl i'm just fucking around.

I'd really like to live in Beijing. I've been doing taiji for a few years and it would be amazing to live and work there and do some training at the 'home' of taiji (hun yuan style).

I've done it in China and Thailand. The Chinese don't eat dog and you don't need to be aryan to do well. If you're specifically going to make and save money, go to a major city and get into private tutoring as soon as you can. I have friends who make a respectable salary off of just ten to fifteen hours a week.

If you're young and just want to party and have fun, Thailand is kind of ideal for that.

You don't need to speak the local language to teach ESL and they often prefer that you don't.

Both times I did it were the best decisions I ever made. Like everything else in life, you get out what you put in.

Leagon went to China to evade pedophilia charges in the UK. True story.

Cost of living difference though
Go for it! Life is an adventure so disregard the negativity, as it's either from salty Asian guys who don't want you stealing their chicks....or mindless sheep back in your country who don't even own a passport. Just bring some thick skin because Asians are extremely racist, by most accounts. I've never been a teacher, but I've lived abroad for more than a decade and while it can be stressful and challenging, it will definitely give you new perspective and can potentially be a life-changer.

I do. I work my ass off despite it not being a "real job" like some arrogant pricks will tell you. There are a lot of scumbags who come here for essentially a year of fun and dicking around but you'll find that in all levels of employment no matter the field. Lots of incompetent, stupid people in "real jobs" that I can guarantee. People who think like that are usually uninteresting anyways and aren't very fun to be around. Just remember, there are some locals who will look down on you but they'll definitely want you to teach their kids. Hypocrites so charge them double when they hit you up for private tutoring sessions.

I'd rather do something I love, make less money and have less vacation time than some corporate drone job working 60-80 hours a week, dealing with adults who are essentially larger versions of children anyways, and occasionally being forced to go to a weekday work dinner, disguised as a binge drinking session, with my boss simply because he hates his family and doesn't want to go home and be a father and a husband. I don't ever want kids and getting married is still something I'm 50/50 on so the low salary isn't a big deal for me. I save enough and I live comfortably.

I also didn't come here to satisfy "yellow fever" despite how many times I've heard that from some extremely ignorant locals and hateful and jealous foreign and local women. Usually the foreign women say that because foreign dudes don't want to fuck them and local women say that because they are/were naive and were used by a foreign guy.

My parents were both teachers and two of my cousins are as well. I grew up around teachers so it's kind of in my blood. I went to a 120 hour intensive program in Prague first before committing to a year long contract and to figure out if I liked teaching and living abroad. The course was brutal and had me questioning whether I'd be able to handle it at all but I steadily improved with some valuable feedback and advice from my two professors that I still hold dear to this day. I nailed my final observed teaching lesson. One of the professors approached me at the closing dinner ceremony and told me he doubted if I belonged in the course at the start but was surprised and proud that I improved so much and did a fantastic job conducting my final class.

I've seen more of the world and experienced more than I ever could have dreamed of while growing up in a small, shitty Midwestern town. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything in the world. If you do move somewhere, learn the local language as soon as possible. It'll enhance your life so much while there.

I'd really like to live in Beijing. I've been doing taiji for a few years and it would be amazing to live and work there and do some training at the 'home' of taiji (hun yuan style).
RIP oxygen.

Back