Tefl in Asian countries

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Has anyone done this and what country is best? I think I might like to do this for a couple years after my son becomes an adult.

My top choices based on the limited knowledge I have so far:

1. Vietnam
Pros- high demand for teachers, good pay, low cost of living so it's possible to save even while working low number of hours
Cons- they usually won't hire unless you already live there, don't know if there are other cons
2. China
Pros- high demand for teachers, good pay, low cost of living and possible to get hired while still living in a different country. Some even pay for airfare and accommodations supposedly
Cons- they eat dogs and can be very cruel to animals, bad pollution.
3. Thailand
Pros- muay thai, massages, beaches, thai food
Cons- doesn't pay very much so difficult to save, less demand for teachers
4. Japan
Pros- interesting culture, samurais, katanas, nintendo, polite society with very low crime
Cons- high cost of living, don't know if there are other cons
5. Korea
Pros- more developed and western than other asian countries
Cons- less pay, more hours, more strict rules for foreign teachers

These are just my impressions based on initial research. If anyone has more info or insight please share. Thanks.

Last edited:
Ahhhhh!
Sorry, it was one of those things that made me wonder if it was OP or me.

"Does it say tefl, am I having a stroke?"

Lots of them here in Taiwan, most are losers with nothing going on so looking for fresh start abroad, some have yellow fever and looking for easy lay, most of my friends transition out of it by the time they reach mid30 and work real job for a change.

Lots of them here in Taiwan, most are losers with nothing going on so looking for fresh start abroad, some have yellow fever and looking for easy lay, most of my friends transition out of it by the time they reach mid30 and work real job for a change.
Is this a common perception that locals have of English teachers? Losers trying to get laid? I admit that I have yellow fever but also understand that it's very frowned upon there for a foreigner to date students. If anything I would look for a long term relationship with someone my own age but am wary of how it's perceived.

Last edited:
Recently had a bloke I worked with tell me that he taught english in China for 10 years. Said the money was rubbish except the cost of living there was very low so it didnt matter. He didnt go to university though so there may be levels to it.

Also had a mate who taught in Japan for a few years, said the money was alright though he had a degree. Was 20 years ago though.

Recently had a bloke I worked with tell me that he taught english in China for 10 years. Said the money was rubbish except the cost of living there was very low so it didnt matter. He didnt go to university though so there may be levels to it.

Also had a mate who taught in Japan for a few years, said the money was alright though he had a degree. Was 20 years ago though.
My cousin who works in china told me they prefer blond hair/blue eyes. Educational attainment is a far second.

My cousin who works in china told me they prefer blond hair/blue eyes. Educational attainment is a far second.
I got the idea of tefl from a Taiwanese gal. She said that I would automatically make more money than her based on my appearance even though I don't speak Mandarin which seemed strange to me because her English was solid. Imo she would make a better teacher to a Mandarin Chinese speaker but she claimed that I could get by only speaking English to students.

This. No joke. Get your TESOL...and some highlights, blue contacts.

Have been teaching in China for four years. Started with shit salary, but have managed to hustle my way to a respectable Western level of income. Have a Chinese wife, a baby, a flat, and a car here now. It's basically normal suburban life but with Chinese characteristics. Life is pretty comfortable even with low salary due to the possibility of living extremely cheaply.

Overall, I'm under the impression that it's easier to live comfortably in China than Korea or Japan.

Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Has anyone done this and what country is best? I think I might like to do this for a couple years after my son becomes an adult.

My top choices based on the limited knowledge I have so far:

1. Vietnam
Pros- high demand for teachers, good pay, low cost of living so it's possible to save even while working low number of hours
Cons- they usually won't hire unless you already live there, don't know if there are other cons
2. China
Pros- high demand for teachers, good pay, low cost of living and possible to get hired while still living in a different country. Some even pay for airfare and accommodations supposedly
Cons- they eat dogs and can be very cruel to animals, bad pollution.
3. Thailand
Pros- muay thai, massages, beaches, thai food
Cons- doesn't pay very much so difficult to save, less demand for teachers
4. Korea
Pros- more developed and western than other asian countries
Cons- less pay, more hours, more strict rules for foreign teachers

These are just my impressions based on initial research. If anyone has more info or insight please share. Thanks.
China isn't good pay. I have a friend who did this in Hong Kong. He lives in a shoebox, has yellow fever. Plans on moving back to the US as he's hit the ceiling in that field and needs a better paying job

China isn't good pay. I have a friend who did this in Hong Kong. He lives in a shoebox, has yellow fever. Plans on moving back to the US as he's hit the ceiling in that field and needs a better paying job
HK is just a place with an extremely high cost of living. Pay in China can be really competitive compared to other east/southeast Asian countries.

I've done it in China and Thailand. The Chinese don't eat dog and you don't need to be aryan to do well. If you're specifically going to make and save money, go to a major city and get into private tutoring as soon as you can. I have friends who make a respectable salary off of just ten to fifteen hours a week.

If you're young and just want to party and have fun, Thailand is kind of ideal for that.

You don't need to speak the local language to teach ESL and they often prefer that you don't.

Both times I did it were the best decisions I ever made. Like everything else in life, you get out what you put in.

Is this a common perception that locals have of English teachers? Losers trying to get laid? I admit that I have yellow fever but also understand that it's very frowned upon there for a foreigner to date students. If anything I would look for a long term relationship with someone my own age but am wary of how it's perceived.

I don't really know because I am not really a local, but it's not a perception thing, it is reality. Unless your passion is to teach and to travel and interact with different culture then teach English abroad is definitely worthwhile, but most people who do it are looking for easy pay and have no good option back at home. Most of my "foreign friends" here work real jobs.

I was a career TEFL teacher who taught in countries 2, 3, and 4 on your list, and as for Vietnam I traveled through there for a month, so I have some insight into the culture.

I would like to first address your statement "it's very frowned upon there for a foreigner to date students" and the fact that you have "yellow fever". It's NOT frowned upon for the most part if you have shown yourself to be a decent person who strives to helps the locals, but in general nobody will give you a hard time. Naturally parents of students can be suspicious at first, and you might get the occasional look of disapproval, but all 4 countries are pretty cool, though Korea would be at the bottom of the list. Thailand - by A LOT - is the most accepting on your list of female/foreign male relationships. In fact, mixed children (half Thai/half White) are considered especially lovely. The other three countries are sort of cool, but you do have to be discreet. If you date a student who's come from another city, that helps that her family isn't there. But nobody will EVER do you harm for dating a local girl, and to repeat, if you prove yourself to be upstanding, then you will be rewarded, and have an enjoyable time. The general rule though, like in your culture, is that teachers should not date the students. So you'll have to be discreet, and if you are discreet then even if the school knows about it they won't mind as you are conducting yourself respectfully.

There's so much more to write about this...just go to the culture that interests you the most. It's all good in that if you have a good attitude and sincere desire to help, you will have a good time anywhere, except of course if you have the misfortune of working for a bad person, and they are out there wherever you go. This is why I recommend starting out working for a corporate English school, because you won't end up in a weird independent little kingdom, and the corporations have done their research about how to teach students, so you will learn a lot by working for them by following their curricula.

Personally, I enjoyed China the most. I had many friends, people were very friendly, the students were motivated, the food was great, and the culture was fascinating (to me). I dated a Chinese girl, and mostly I received positive vibes from locals, and even from the girl's family. One time on a bus in Beijing, a local man even gave me a thumbs-up when he saw me and my girlfriend together.

Good luck!

Last edited:

This bloke didnt look like a typical teacher thats for sure, had a huge beard and was in is 50s when I met him.

Its something I'm thinking of doing myself to stop the boredom when I live overseas but I will not have to rely on the income to survive. Did a tiny bit of volunteer teacher in Luang Prebang Laos. Tried to teach them what I felt was the most important thing, understanding western cultures and how to make money from us.

I was a career TEFL teacher who taught in countries 2, 3, and 4 on your list, and as for Vietnam I traveled through there for a month, so I have some insight into the culture.

I would like to first address your statement "it's very frowned upon there for a foreigner to date students" and the fact that you have "yellow fever". It's NOT frowned upon for the most part if you have shown yourself to be a decent person who strives to helps the locals, but in general nobody will give you a hard time. Naturally parents of students can be suspicious at first, and you might get the occasional look of disapproval, but all 4 countries are pretty cool, though Korea would be at the bottom of the list. Thailand - by A LOT - is the most accepting on your list of female/foreign male relationships. In fact, mixed children (half Thai/half White) are considered especially lovely. The other three countries are sort of cool, but you do have to be discreet. If you date a student who's come from another city, that helps that her family isn't there. But nobody will EVER do you harm for dating a local girl, and to repeat, if you prove yourself to be upstanding, then you will be rewarded, and have an enjoyable time. The general rule though, like in your culture, is that teachers should not date the students. So you'll have to be discreet, and if you are discreet then even if the school knows about it they won't mind as you are conducting yourself respectfully.

There's so much more to write about this...just go to the culture that interests you the most. It's all good in that if you have a good attitude and sincere desire to help, you will have a good time anywhere, except of course if you have the misfortune of working for a bad person, and they are out there wherever you go. This is why I recommend starting out working for a corporate English school, because you won't end up in a weird independent little kingdom, and the corporations have done their research about how to teach students, so you will learn a lot by working for them by following their curricula.

Personally, I enjoyed China the most. I had many friends, people were very friendly, the students were motivated, the food was great, and the culture was fascinating (to me). I dated a Chinese girl, and mostly I received positive vibes from locals, and even from the girl's family. One time on a bus in Beijing, a local man even gave me a thumbs-up when he saw me and my girlfriend together.

Good luck!

Thanks for your insight.

Back