Teep Tactics

I prefer the catch over the parry for the teep. once caught there you can whatever you want, push/pull sweep/attack

You can double forearm block the teep, this causes alot of guys to hurt their feet on your elbows. I dont do it in training though. Pretty sure everyone has broken a toe when sparring with that awkward stiff guy that spazzes out when you teep them.

Oddly enough i think the "MMA" in the name was marketing. they had one mma guy (1-1). it was mainly grappling guys and strikers just under one roof ya know? it was even oddly cliquey.
There's alot of those around, not real MMA gyms, but "multiple martial art" gyms. Can't blame em really, there's no real venue for MMA locally, and fighting in the states or other provinces mean you have to forge contacts outside your home base.

The whole combat sport community is cliquey anyways. MT is kinda getting the BJJ treatment on lineage these days, which is odd because Its a striking sport where the prize is: wins, belts, and medals. But lineage is starting to rear itself into here. aka. If you didn't come from suchart's line, you ain't a real nak muay

i was there for about 4-5 months training twice a day at the gym.
Get a job you bum

Yeah i never got why the boxer would ask to work on muay thai then proceed to only try to box but i boiled it down to bang bro mentality and him thinking his boxing was better than my manlet muay thai. haha I left the pure thai gym because my Kru would get angry i was not just walking down my opponent and blocking shit, i always tried to use footwork and head movement over blocks.
Sounds like boxing was all he had, not to mention the walk down style works great against them since they end up moving back alot and stand slightly bladed too. Most likely they just wanted to show "their place".

The sport's changing though, more camps are now incorporating a boxing program in, and I mean actual boxing, not just adding punches to the combos.

Gym Evolution:
1. walk em down and bang nak muays
2.Just grapple em bros
3.Bang bros
4. Bang camp
5. Lets teach you distancing and you cant spar unless coaches think youre ready to do so effectively. Also manlet coach

Ronin status for ya, eh?

Recently I've switched gyms and realized why didn't I do it earlier. Its a big world out there. Only problem with gym hopping is they might not be ready to invest in you and you have to "make your bones" with them before getting access to good quality partners and fighting under their banner.

Is gym #5 fresh and brand new? Can't spar seems odd, but its good he has a handle of the gym. So many gyms end up becoming bang seshes because the head honcho got laxed and had no order, and everyone just reacts to getting banged.

Last edited:
Ontario is actually the worse province to be in as a competitor, so much bans and regulations for "safety" kills everything. BC's pretty good actually. Wanna be pro in Ont? Can't make your pro debut here.

Ontario is a lawyer happy killjoy province. My main sport is mountain biking, all the resorts here had to lame out their trails because some kid at Blue Mountain came up short on a jump he had no business riding and broke his neck. Over in Quebec & BC they'll happily build 40' gap jumps and skinny little bridges that are like 15' in the air, guys get maimed on them all the time and life just goes on. There's a reason we call it Onterrible.

The whole combat sport community is cliquey anyways. MT is kinda getting the BJJ treatment on lineage these days, which is odd because Its a striking sport where the prize is: wins, belts, and medals. But lineage is starting to rear itself into here. aka. If you didn't come from suchart's line, you ain't a real nak muay

I've sparred against some of those guys back in the day, some were close to Thai style, others were pretty Dutch or Chute Boxe. I think Suchart gets romanticized since he's a direct tie back to Thailand, but unless you learn from the man himself or one of his select students, you're not getting much of the lineage. I have no ties to him that I'm aware of yet my style is more Thai than some of the guys who do.

Last edited:
This one is a read and a half
There's alot of those around, not real MMA gyms, but "multiple martial art" gyms. Can't blame em really, there's no real venue for MMA locally, and fighting in the states or other provinces mean you have to forge contacts with outside your home base.

Luckily I came from the main man Toddy. If you listened to the coach K from CSA podcast he mentions him as one of the best trainers which I was surprised to randomly hear.

Get a job you bum

Haha it was a rule in my house if I plan to compete I must have a job as well. Had a job and trained since I was fourteen and I recently turned twenty one. Just always found a way to get my training in. dedication and all that.

The sport's changing though, more camps are now incorporating a boxing program in, and I mean actual boxing, not just adding punches to the combos.

Boxing is love of mine as well so I noticed a lack of efficiency with it in MT so my “style” was a lot more boxing oriented hence my wanting to use footwork and head movement more than the average student at the first gym.

Recently I've switched gyms and realized why didn't I do it earlier. Its a big world out there. Only problem with gym hopping is they might not be ready to invest in you and you have to "make your bones" with them before getting access to good quality partners and fighting under their banner.
Is gym #5 fresh and brand new? Can't spar seems odd, but its good he has a handle of the gym. So many gyms end up becoming bang seshes because the head honcho got laxed and had no order, and everyone just reacts to getting banged.

Time in is the main reason I haven’t competed thus far. Gone through a lot of family home stuff so iv been moving around the past two and a half years, I was averaging six months at a gym after I left the first one. So I never really got to have that HQ gym that I can call my own but hop out of ( id love to travel to a ton of different gym here and there eventually) like you said it’s a big world outside Canada especially.
Gym 5 iv been at around six months actually haha. I was invited to the intermediate and sparring class after maybe two months, which once I talked to my coach I learned it was just time in and he knew skill wise I was ready for that level. Same thing with fighting im guessing. Our headcoach was apart of the old team Tomkins and he has to approve sparring, class level changes and if you can fight for the gym. Im helping my buddy get resy to compete though which I think is a sign of good things to come. We have maybe 100 something total members and maybe 7-8 people that have competed as far as I know only Me and the guy im helping want to compete in the near future

Ontario is a lawyer happy killjoy province
So much truth to this. The wierd part about the bans and regulation here is that it doesn't matter. People who want to compete will compete. The "governing bodies" are for the most part non-profit organizations so they don't make jack. But they exist to provide a safe venue for fighters. Ban that, fighters will end up doing the whole underground fights where there's no good reffing, match making, or medical staff. The last thing the gubbermint wants is that, but banning the orgs. is just going to lead there.

I've always been very envious how more open things are stateside. Its funny because I see small shows pop up all the time, almost on a bi-weekly basis, while here its so clamped down its taken so serious. That's right, a walmart product has been now inflated to becoming Swarovski diamonds

I've sparred against some of those guys back in the day, some were close to Thai style, others were pretty Dutch or Chute Boxe. I think Suchart gets romanticized since he's a direct tie back to Thailand, but learn from the man himself or one of his select students, you're not getting much of the lineage. I have no ties to him that I'm aware of yet my style is more Thai than some of the guys who do.
Personally everything I do in the sport is to better myself at it, if doing ugly MMA style brawling helps me get the wins better and easier, I'm gonna implement it.

Its really the community thing thats getting some snobbery which turns me off. People saying what a legit "kru" is, I'm "a certified kru", etc. lol
This one is a read and a half
Luckily I came from the main man Toddy. If you listened to the coach K from CSA podcast he mentions him as one of the best trainers which I was surprised to randomly hear.

Haha it was a rule in my house if I plan to compete I must have a job as well. Had a job and trained since I was fourteen and I recently turned twenty one. Just always found a way to get my training in. dedication and all that.

Boxing is love of mine as well so I noticed a lack of efficiency with it in MT so my “style” was a lot more boxing oriented hence my wanting to use footwork and head movement more than the average student at the first gym.

Time in is the main reason I haven’t competed thus far. Gone through a lot of family home stuff so iv been moving around the past two and a half years, I was averaging six months at a gym after I left the first one. So I never really got to have that HQ gym that I can call my own but hop out of ( id love to travel to a ton of different gym here and there eventually) like you said it’s a big world outside Canada especially.
Gym 5 iv been at around six months actually haha. I was invited to the intermediate and sparring class after maybe two months, which once I talked to my coach I learned it was just time in and he knew skill wise I was ready for that level. Same thing with fighting im guessing. Our headcoach was apart of the old team Tomkins and he has to approve sparring, class level changes and if you can fight for the gym. Im helping my buddy get resy to compete though which I think is a sign of good things to come. We have maybe 100 something total members and maybe 7-8 people that have competed as far as I know only Me and the guy im helping want to compete in the near future

Ah okay, I thought gym 5 was brand new and had limited space which is why they were more strict on letting people spare cause of insurance and paperwork purposes

@j123 you in ontario? where do you train?

the guy, adam hunter, who got popped by USADA is a pro, with a UFC contract. he represented OAMA and competed at last year's provincials.

https://combatsportslaw.com/2017/06/16/suspended-ufc-fighter-competes-in-ontario-muay-thai-contest/

this whole suchart lineage thing is...i don't even know what to say about it anymore.
Yeah. Right now I'm training at Diamond MT

Dreams do come true, you can fight a UFC fighter without being in teh UFC

Yeah. Right now I'm training at Diamond MT

Dreams do come true, you can fight a UFC fighter without being in teh UFC

oh nice! i am going to drop by soon, maybe in a few weeks, when it's not snowing.

oh nice! i am going to drop by soon, maybe in a few weeks, when it's not snowing.
lol. This is Canada, the only seasons we have are summer and winter

lol. This is Canada, the only seasons we have are summer and winter

WRONG. winter and construction season.

you guys have classes pretty early and are on the other side of the DVP. i got to get home from work and then drive over. might take me longer with winter road conditions. i could uber but almost got into an accident last time i took one to rush to the 6PM class at tkmt on queen

WRONG. winter and construction season.

you guys have classes pretty early and are on the other side of the DVP. i got to get home from work and then drive over. might take me longer with winter road conditions. i could uber but almost got into an accident last time i took one to rush to the 6PM class at tkmt on queen
I can never go home then come back to train. Weird, because i'm pretty devoted to training and competing, but if I come home after work, I'm never leaving home again for the day

That intersection at Bathurst and Queen is shit. TKMT there is right by the junkie center too. Those folks around the corner there are cray cray. Saw one guy shoot up once without any fucks given.

I can never go home then come back to train. Weird, because i'm pretty devoted to training and competing, but if I come home after work, I'm never leaving home again for the day

That intersection at Bathurst and Queen is shit. TKMT there is right by the junkie center too. Those folks around the corner there are cray cray. Saw one guy shoot up once without any fucks given.

i live downtown so it's pretty convenient (for the most part) but i HAVE to go home to let my dog out first before i do anything else. when was the last time you competed?

i live downtown so it's pretty convenient (for the most part) but i HAVE to go home to let my dog out first before i do anything else. when was the last time you competed?
end of 2015

Ah okay, I thought gym 5 was brand new and had limited space which is why they were more strict on letting people spare cause of insurance and paperwork purposes

Not too many people from regular class are into the sparing only people who have or want to compete. i found it help cut out a lot of the let me bang type guys because they dont wanna wait to be able to spar so they just hop over to the next bang base

Not too many people from regular class are into the sparing only people who have or want to compete. i found it help cut out a lot of the let me bang type guys because they dont wanna wait to be able to spar so they just hop over to the next bang base
Gym 5 is now "Let em bang mang" camp

PM'd you...didn't want to hijack the thread

I think i hijacked my own thread with the gym talk haha. I love hearing about first hand experience about gyms in and around toronto. if not maybe that should be a thread on its own. heard we have a lot of canukleheads in the forums

Personally everything I do in the sport is to better myself at it, if doing ugly MMA style brawling helps me get the wins better and easier, I'm gonna implement it.

Its really the community thing thats getting some snobbery which turns me off. People saying what a legit "kru" is, I'm "a certified kru", etc. lol

If it works, it works. The snobbery thing is like whatever, even back in my TKD days as a kid my group got shit on because a)we were poor and trained out of a middle school gym, and b)our main Sifu was black and the assistant was a white guy. But we did pretty well in tournaments in both forms and sparring so we were doing things right, and that's the important part.

If it works, it works. The snobbery thing is like whatever, even back in my TKD days as a kid my group got shit on because a)we were poor and trained out of a middle school gym, and b)our main Sifu was black and the assistant was a white guy. But we did pretty well in tournaments in both forms and sparring so we were doing things right, and that's the important part.
This is like an 80s martial arts film plot

Back